Click here to to return to the main page for the 1820 Census in Maine, which has links to the 9 Maine Counties then in existence and, from there, to the individual Towns of the County chosen.
If you don't see a town you expect to see in the list of towns below, check to see if the town was incorporated later than 1820 and was known then by another name; or if the town changed its name after incorporation; or if it's now located in another County.
Note: until the 1850 Census, enumerators listed names of heads of households only.
Click on the town name for more information, including links to the original documents and alphabetical lists of heads of households.
Note: some of the towns listed below are now in other Maine counties, as noted
- 25 Mile Pond Plantation - Sheet 693
- Augusta - Sheets 558-575
- Belgrade - Sheets 399-406
- Chesterville - Sheets 411-415 - then in Lincoln County; as of 1838 in Franklin County
- China - Sheets 678 and 679
- Clinton - Sheets 472-482
- Dearborn - Sheets 407-410
- Fairfax - Sheets 680-682
- In a Place Adjoining to Fairfax: bottom of sheet 693: heads of households: Joseph Brann; Ebenezer Brookins; Samuel Davis; Aaron Plummer, Jr. Enumerator: Joel Wellington.
- Farmington - Sheets 437-451 - then in Kennebec County; as of 1838 in Franklin County
- Fayette - Sheets 656-662
- Freedom - Sheets 682-684 - then in Kennebec County; as of 1827 in Waldo County
- Gardiner - Sheets 521-535
- Greene - Sheets 623-631 - then in Kennebec County; as of 1854 in Androscoggin County
- Hallowell - Sheets 536-557
- Harlem - Sheets 684-686 - became part of China, Maine, in 1822. Some online sources show all of Sheet 686 for Harlem, when the lower half is actually for Joy (now Troy, Maine)
- Joy - Sheets 686 and 687 - then in Kennebec County; took the name Troy in 1827 when it became part of Waldo County; some online sources may attribute all of Sheet 686 to Harlem, though the lower half pertains to Joy
- Leeds - Sheets 610-622 - then in Kennebec County; as of 1854 in Androscoggin County
- Malta - Sheets 688-690
- Monmouth - Sheets 596-609
- Mount Vernon - Sheets 390-389 - some online sources incorrectly attribute Sheets 388 and 389 to Vienna
- New Sharon - Sheets 428-436 - then in Kennebec County; as of 1838 in Franklin County
- Pittston - Sheets 510-520
- Readfield - Sheets 644-654
- Rome - Sheets 395-398
- Sidney - Sheets 576-589
- Temple - Sheets 422-427 -then in Kennebec County; as of 1838 in Franklin County
- Unity - Sheets 690-692 - then in Kennebec County; as of 1827 in Waldo County
- Vassalboro - Sheets 492-509
- Vienna - Sheets 390-394 - some online sources attribute Sheets 388 and 389 to Vienna, but these are for Mount Vernon
- Waterville - Sheets 452-463
- Wayne - Sheets 664-672
- Wilton - Sheets 416-423 - then in Kennebec County; as of 1838 in Franklin County
- Winslow - Sheets 484-491
- Winthrop - Sheets 632-643