Saturday, February 29, 2020

c1937 Newspaper Clipping: Old Wyman Homestead Near Skowhegan Once Stage Line Inn

c 1937 article about the old Wyman homestead near Skowhegan, which was once an inn along the stage line.  The inn was operated by Benjamin Wyman, son of early settler Seth Wyman.

The clipping is pasted in a scrapbook of items mostly from the area around Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.


Old Wyman Homestead Near Skowhegan Once Stage Line Inn
Special Despatch to Sunday Telegram
Skowhegan, March 2 - The farm of Bert C. Fletcher and Valton Neil, three miles from Skowhegan on the middle road to Waterville, is one of the oldest in Somerset County. The homestead was in early years one of the country taverns which accommodated the travelers of stage coach days.

The farm was settled by Seth Wyman, the first of the name to locate in what is now Skowhegan. He cleared the property from the forest and Benjamin Wyman was one of his large family of children. It was Benjamin who operated the place as a tavern. The old bar was in the present diningroom of the homestead and the old hotel lock is owned by Mrs. A. P. Wyman of Waterville. 

The property later came into the hands of Deacon James Cleveland and then passed on to Benjamin Fletcher, who married his daughter. Their son is Bert C. Fletcher, who is associated in farming there with his son-in-law, Valton Neil, a native of Mercer.  Mr. and Mrs. Neil have a little daughter, Joan, now 2-1/2 years old. Thus the homestead has sheltered five generations. Deacon Cleveland and his descendants.  The older barn on the property was erected by Benjamin Fletcher and it was his winter's work to get out the timbers and hew them for the new building.

There are 150 acres in this farm. It is conducted along modern trends in agriculture. There are 18 head of purebred Guernsey stock on this place. Superior animals on this farm are a pair of fine Clydesdale horses. They weigh 2900 pounds and are good workers. This is an unusual breed in this section and they took the blue ribbons at the Skowhegan Fair last fall.

Hay and grain are the principle crops at the Fletcher Farm, along with yellow corn for the herd. Twelve acres of grain are raised. Strawberry culture is practiced and the sum of $112 was realized from 1-10 of an acre this year, besides the berries used for home consumption. A silo is maintained to help out on the cattle rations in the Winter. Early hay cutting is practiced, the harvest being about the middle of June. 

Mr. Fletcher and his son-in-law are Farm Bureau members, Mr. Neil having been the head of the Skowhegan Farm Bureau. He is the master of Skowhegan Grange, while Mrs. Neil holds the office of Ceres in the order. 


If you have information to share on the Wyman, Cleveland, Fletcher and Neil families and those associated, please leave a comment.

1930 Obituary of Mrs. Mary (Burnham) Richardson (1839-1930) of Garland, Maine; widow of Lt. Lyman E. Richardson

1930 obituary of Mrs. Mary (Burnham) Richardson (1839-1930) of Garland, Maine, pasted in a scrapbook of items mostly from the area encompassing Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.

A transcription appears at the end of this post.

Handwriting on the clipping indicates that Mary was the daughter of Eleazer Burnham.  Mary was born in 1839, daughter of Eleazer Burnham and his second wife Mary Ann (Rideout) Burnham.  Eleazer had come to Garland from Scarborough, Maine, in the early 1830s.

Mary's middle initial appears as W. or E., depending on the source, but she herself wrote her signature as Mary W. Richardson on a pension form, an image of which appears on her FindaGrave memorial.

Mary was the widow of Lt. Lyman E. Richardson (1833-1861), a native of Rumford, Maine, son of Daniel Richardson and Lydia (Tyler) Richardson, according to an extensive FindaGrave memorial. The memorial notes the circumstances of Lt. Richardson's death as the result of participation in the First Battle of Bull Run.

By 1850 Lyman E. Richardson was living with the Foss family in Wayne, Maine, and eventually moved to Garland to teach school, where he presumably met Mary for the first time.  GAR Post 75 in Garland was named in honor of his honor. The L. M. Rideout noted as commander in an 1885 Maine State Yearbook may have been Luther M. Rideout or his son, Lyman E. Richardson's uncle or cousin, respectively.

Lyman and Mary are buried in the Burnham Cemetery at Garland, Maine.


Mrs. Mary Richardson
[handwriting: Burnham; and along the margin: daughter of Eleazer Burnham]

Mrs. Mary W. Richardson passed away Sunday morning, May 4th, at the home of her cousin, Mrs. Lucia Lincoln, at the age of 90 years, 4 months and 19 days.  Her early life was passed on a farm in the east part of the town known as the Norton place and later as the Jack McKever farm. Mrs. Richardson was married to Lieutenant Lyman E. Richardson on May 16, 1860 [handwriting corrects that date to 1861; Lyman enlisted on April 26, 1861]. Two weeks later her husband left to enter the Civil war and was killed in August. Mrs. Richardson remained a widow for seventy years, a greater part of that time being spent in her little home here in the village.

She was a member of the First Baptist church and was always faithful in her attendance until poor health prevented. A short time ago she had electric lights installed in the church as a gift from her. She was also a member of the Lyman E. Richardson Relief Corps. The organization, as also, the Post, were so called in honor of her husband. Mrs. Richardson lived to see most of her dear ones to the "Better Land" and now leaves to mourn her loss two cousins, Orin and Ellen Rideout, besides several second and third cousins, among which was Mrs. Lincoln at whose home she was lived since last January, tenderly cared for by Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln and for the past five weeks assisted by a very dear friend, Mrs. Howard Clark, whom she wished to have remain with her until the last. Until the past few days she has suffered very little, being always bright and cheerful. And glad to see, and joke with her old friends who called to see her.

Funeral services were held at the Congregational church Wednesday afternoon and [t]he many beautiful flowers were an unspoken message of the high esteem she was held in by all who had known her in life. Burial was at Burnham cemetery, where she will be placed by the side of her husband with whom she lived so short a time here on earth.
Garland, May 6, 1930.

Mrs Louisa (Ross) Jackson (1823-1923) of Augusta, Maine, Honored on 100th Birthday, January 1923; Native of Sidney, Maine

Newspaper clipping, with a handwritten date of "1923" printed on January 13, the day before Mrs. Louisa (Ross) Jackson (1823-1923) of Augusta, Maine, reached the age of 100.  Louisa, a native of Sidney, Maine, would die not long after, on March 18, 1923.

A transcription appears at the end of this post.

The clipping is pasted in a scrapbook of items pertaining mostly to the area encompassing Dexter,  Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.

According to the article Louisa Ross was born in Sidney, Maine, the fifth of the nine children of Hugh and Abigail (Sawtelle) Ross.  "Her grandfather was a soldier in the American Revolution, her father a soldier in the War of 1812 and her brother a soldier in the Civil War".

A transcription of the clipping appears at the end of this post.  It's pasted in a scrapbook consisting mostly of items from the area encompassing Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.

According to the article, Louisa's family moved to New Hampshire for a time when she was a girl, before returning to Maine when she reached the age of thirteen. Like many young women of her era, Louisa went to Lowell, Massachusetts, to work, in her case fortunately, for a mill owner who provided good working and living conditions.

While in Lowell, Louisa met Adoniram Jackson (1821-1881), whom she married on 2 December 1847.  Adoniram was a native of Winthrop, Maine, and the couple moved there to raise their family of five children:
  1. Adelbert Thomas Jackson (1850-1936)
  2. Edgar Hartwell Jackson (1854-1949)
  3. Charles Adoniram Jackson (1857-1921)
  4. Fred Sumner Jackson (1860-1927)
  5. Emma Louisa Jackson (1865-1929); married Elmer H. Metcalf

Adoniram died in 1881.  He and Louisa are buried in the Maple Cemetery at Winthrop, Maine, with other relatives.  If you have information on the Ross, Sawtelle and Jackson families, please leave a comment.


Climbed Butte Mountain at Age of Seventy-six Years
Mrs. Louisa Jackson of Augusta, One Hundred Years Old on Sunday, Is Still Active
[handwritten date: 1923]

AUGUSTA, January 13 (Special). -
Mrs. Louisa Sawtelle Jackson of Augusta will on Sunday observe her one-hundredth birthday. Mrs. Jackson who makes her home with her son Edgar Jackson of Perham street was born in Sidney, the fifth of nine children in the family of Hugh and Abigail Sawtelle Ross. Her grandfather was a soldier in the American Revolution, her father a soldier in the War of 1812 and her brother a soldier in the Civil War.

When a small child Mrs. Jackson moved with her family to Hillsboro, N.H., returning to Maine when she was about 13 years old. During her years in New Hampshire she went to the country schools taught by Dartmouth students who were earning their way thru college by teaching school. One of the stories Mrs. Jackson delighted to tell of those days was that about a Dartmouth student who punished her by splitting a piece of wood and fastening it on her nose as she "stood out in front of the class."  As a punishment the plan was not a great success because of the amusement it caused the pupils.

When the Ross family left Maine for New Hampshire they were said to have gone to live "in the Westward". New Hampshire being considered some distance west.

When a young girl, Mrs. Jackson went to Lowell, Mass., the goal of many of the daughters of New England farmers who were attracted by the wages paid in the mills. It will be remembered that the owner of the Lowell Mills was one of the most solicitous of employees - encouraging and providing excellent and carefully supervised living conditions for the girls.

While in Lowell Mrs. Jackson became acquainted with Adoniram Jackson whom she married December 2, 1847. Mr. Jackson was a native of Winthrop and with Mr. Jackson returned there in the fall of 1861. The Jacksons had five children Adelbert T. of California; Edgar H. of Augusta; Charles A. who died in Vancouver; Fred S. of Winthrop and Emma Louise Metcalf of Augusta. Mr. Jackson died in 1881.

Since 1891 Mrs. Jackson has made her home with her son Edgar H. of Peckham Street. She has always been a Universalist and much interested in church affairs. Like her grandfather and father she has been very fond of reading both newspapers and books. Mrs. Jackson possesses one of the books she studied in a country school and it is in excellent condition. The book a paper bound copy of Pope's "Essay on Man" was the basis for a study of grammar and the grammatical rules to be used in parsing may be found in notes at the bottom of the pages. In addition to studying the book in this way the students were obliged to memorize the entire work.

Mrs. Jackson had as recently as last summer quoted long passages from it and also given ballads she learned during the same period. In the book in quaint handwriting are the names of some of her teachers, among them E. Mitchell, Waterville College. [perhaps too late to have been Edward C. Mitchell, Class of 1849 and later president of the Baptist Theological School, Paris, France; Roger Williams University, Nashville Tennesee; and Leland University, New Orleans, Louisiana]

While on a visit to Butte, Mont. in 1898, Mrs. Jackson then 76 years old climbed the Butte Mountain unaccompanied.

As a young girl in Lowell, Mrs. Jackson sang in the Universalist church attended lectures, read Horace Greeley's paper, studied the politics of the day and was actively interested in current affairs. She was a member of the Shakesperian guild in Winthrop.

Besides her children Mrs. Jackson had eleven grandchildren and many great-grandchildren. Two grandsons Winfred A. Jackson and Donald Metcalf live in Augusta while Walter A. lives in Winthrop. The others are widely scattered over the country.

By a curious co-coincidence the youngest great grand-child of Mrs. Jackson Cony Benson Metcalf will be three months old on the day before his great-grandmother is 100 years old - nearly a complete century spans the gap between the youngest and the oldest of the family.

Living quietly and contentedly Mrs. Jackson seems to those who see her with her soft, white curls, survival of the coiffure of other generations, a veritable character from a book, a character from the great book of Life who has been dignified by experience and sweetened by helpful living.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Obituary of Daniel A. Ferguson of St. Paul, Minnesota, Husband of Francis (Fletcher) Ferguson (Daughter of Ira Fletcher of Skowhegan, Maine)

Obituary of Daniel A. Ferguson, husband of Frances (Fletcher) Ferguson.

The clipping presumably appeared in a St. Paul, Minnesota, newspaper and was either sent back to Maine or was perhaps reprinted in a paper in Skowhegan, Maine.

A transcription appears at the end of this post.

Handwriting on the clipping:
  1. Detroit, Mich [where Frances (Fletcher) Ferguson spent part of her childhood]
  2. Mrs. Ferguson was Miss Francis Fletcher, daughter of Ira Fletcher
The obituary is pasted in a scrapbook of items mostly with a connection to the area encompassing Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.  I believe the connection here is that Daniel A. Ferguson's wife, Frances (Fletcher) Ferguson, was the daughter of a Skowhegan area native, [John] Ira Fletcher, who moved to New York and then to Detroit, Michigan, and may be the Ira Fletcher (1821-1882) buried in Skowhegan.

Daniel A. Ferguson was a native of Scotland, born about 1855. Frances (Fletcher) Ferguson was born about 1848 in New York, the daughter of Ira Fletcher and wife Elizabeth (possibly Gill) Fletcher.  It appears Daniel and Frances lived first in Detroit, Michigan, and then moved to St. Paul, Minnesota.  

Frances may have been the Frances Ferguson who died in Ramsey County, Minnesota in 1933.  

Does the article shown below, which was reprinted from a Providence, Rhode Island newspaper in The Western Star of Lebanon, Ohio, issue of 24 August 1882, refer to Frances' father Ira Fletcher? If the same Ira, what happened to his family in Michigan?  He was there with wife Elizabeth as late as the 1880, as recorded in the US Census of that year.  Perhaps Elizabeth died in the interim, and Ira's life was upended.


Daniel A. Ferguson Dead.
Death has again robbed Riverview of one of its old settlers. Daniel Ferguson passed away at the family residence, 303 East Winifred Street last Sunday. The family had lived in this same residence for over a quarter of a century, and are among our most highly respected citizens. He was connected with one of the Express Companies, and served faithfully until the time of his retirement. "Dan", as his friends were wont to style him, was a lovable fellow, and had many friends. The writer knew him quite intimately for many years, and enjoyed his acquaintance and friendship all that time, and joins a lot of other friends in sympathy to the bereaved family.  Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson were faithful members of the Old Clinton M. E. Church which later merged with the King Street M. E. Church in the new St. Paul's Church on George Street, from which the funeral of Mr. Ferguson was held last Tuesday afternoon conducted by the pastor, Rev. John Hall. The funeral was quite largely attended his old friends assembling to do honor to the high esteem in which he was held. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Frances Ferguson, and three sons and one daughter: D. Ira, Allen F. and Arthur S. Ferguson, and Mrs. R. L. Miles. Two brothers and two sisters also survive. Thus one by one they go from us, but our memories are richer for having known and touched elbows with these old faithful souls.

Monday, February 24, 2020

1929 Clipping: Dr. George Merriam Celebrates 25th Year at Bethany Baptist Church at Skowhegan, Maine

"Dr. George Merriam Celebrates 25th Year as Pastor; is Honored by Bethany Baptist Parishioners at Anniversary Supper".  Skowhegan, Maine.  Handwritten date: Oct. 23 1929

A transcription appears at the end of this post.

Found pasted in a scrapbook of items dealing mostly with the areas encompassing Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.

Dr. George Merriam (1856-1941) was born in China, Maine, on November 30, 1856, the son of Rev. Franklin Merriam and Eunice Clark (Ward) Merriam.  On 10 August 1882 at Newton, Massachusetts, Dr. Merriam married Eugenia W. Runnell (1864-1927), daughter of Thornton B. Rennell and Lydia (Wallace) Rennell.  Dr. Merriam and his wife had nine children:
  1. Rev. George Rennell Merriam (1883-1968)
  2. Franklin Edmund Merriam (1885-1975)
  3. Arthur Brobston Merriam (1887-1964)
  4. Ethel Eugenie Merriam (1890-1971); married Lester Frank Weeks
  5. Thornton Ward Merriam (1894-1987)
  6. Helen Eunice Merriam (1895-1986)
  7. Ralph Foster Merriam (1897-1984)
  8. Marguerite Abbie Merriam (1900-1918)
  9. Marion Alice Merriam (1902-2002); married Alton True Hooper

Dr. Merriam, wife Eugenia and several of their children are buried in the Southside Cemetery in Skowhegan, Maine.

If you have information on the Merriam, Ward, Rennell and/or Wallace families, or any of the people mentioned below, please leave a comment.


Is Honored by Bethany Baptist Parishioners at Anniversary Supper
Event Marks Completion of 25 Years as Pastor in Skowhegan - Dr. Merriam Considered Dean Among Baptist Ministers in State
[handwritten date: Oct. 23 1929]

An occasion of unusual interest was the silver anniversary supper held at the Bethany Baptist Church, last evening, in honor of the pastor, Dr. George Merriam, who on that date completed his 25th year as pastor in Skowhegan. This long pastorate forms an outstanding record and makes Dr. Merriam the dean among Baptist pastors in Maine. To this community his long residence has won him the respect and esteem not only of his own church, but of the whole town and country-side.

With the exception of the oldest son, George, all of the nine children of Dr. and Mrs. Merriam grew up in Skowhegan and attended the schools of this town. Two of his children were present at the anniversary exercises, George R. Merriam, Y.M.C.A. Secretary, of Providence, R.I., and Mrs. Lester Weeks of Waterville, who was accompanied by her husband, Prof. Weeks of Colby College.

The main speaker of the evening was Rev. George W. Hinckley of Good Will, who was followed by Prof. Herbert L. Newman of Colby College, Dr. Olin H. Tracy [Rev. Dr. Olin Hobbs Tracy (1857-1944) of Skowhegan and George R. Merriam [son] of Providence.  Dr. E. C. Whittemore [Rev. Edwin Carey Whittemore (1858-1932)] of Waterville, a college class-mate at Colby and a friend of more than 50 years standing, extended a fine tribute to Dr. Merriam in behalf of Maine Baptists, which was read by Walter Moore. During the anniversary exercises, which took place at the table, congratulatory letters from the following were read: Dr. E. F. Merriam [son], read by Miss Whitten; Pres. Franklin W. Johnson of Colby College, by Dr. Lord; Rev. Harold L. Hanson of Claremont, N.H.[son of the first minister at Bethany Baptist Church, Rev. Charles Veranus Hanson], by Mrs. Judkins; Mrs. W. H. Spencer [presumably the widow of former pastor William H. Spencer], by Mrs. Mitchell.

Musical numbers included organ processional, Mrs. Ames; piano solo, Mrs. Nye; singing, high school girls.

An anniversary gift of a gold watch and chain was presented to Dr. Merriam by Mrs. Fogg in the name of his many friends of the Bethany Baptist Church and congregation, after which Dr. Merriam responded feelingly. The pastor was also presented with a beautiful anniversary cake trimmed in silver, by Mrs. Schoon, chairman of the supper committee. The attendance was large and the occasion was one long to be remembered.

Dr. Merriam is pastor of the Federated Church at Hinckley, besides his pastorate at Skowhegan, and also preaches alternately with the other Protestant pastors of Skowhegan at the State Reformatory for Women at Skowhegan.

Besides these services, he is teacher of the Men's Class of the Bethany church. He continues to hold the regular mid-week prayer meeting Thursday evening each week, this being the only Protestant church in town holding mid-week services now.

Dr. Merriam is president of the Commission of Education of the United Baptist Convention of Maine, and is a representative of the North Kennebec Association of the State board of the United Baptist Convention of Maine. He is secretary of the board of trustees of Coburn Classical Institute, Waterville. He became Maine correspondent of the Watchman-Examiner, New York, in 1903.

Bethany Baptist Church was organized in 1887 and has had but two pastors before Dr. Merriam came: Dr. C. V. Hanson [Rev. Charles Veranus Hanson (1844-1889)] and Dr. William H. Spencer, the latter resigning in 1904. Mr. Merriam came here October 23rd of that year.

He was born in China, Maine, November 30, 1856, son of Rev. and Mrs. Franklin Merriam. Much of his boyhood was passed in New Hampshire, where his father held a pastorate. He was graduated from Colby College, Waterville, in 1879 with A. B. degree and in 1882 received an A.M. degree. He was graduated from Newton Theological Institution in 1882 and the following year was ordained to the ministry in Abilene, Kansas. His pastorates have been as follows: Abilene, 1882-1885; Solomon City, Kansas, 1885-88; Osage City, Kansas, 1888-1892; Freeport, Maine, 1892-1904; since 1904 in Skowhegan.

Dr. Merriam's wife was Miss Eugenia E. Rennell at the time of her marriage to him in 1882. Dr. and Mrs. Merriam were parents of nine children, of whom eight are living: George R, Y.M.C.A. Secretary, Melrose, Massachusetts; Frank E. Merriam, Danvers, Mass; Arthur R. Merriam, St. Louis, Mo.; Ralph F. Merriam, Cleveland, Ohio; Thornton W. Merriam, Cleveland, Ohio; Mrs. Lester Weeks, Waterville; Miss Helen E. Merriam, Springfield, Mass; Miss Marion Merriam, Skowhegan.

Sunday, February 23, 2020

1929 Obituary of Sarah Abbie (Libby) Hanson (1844-1929), widow of Rev. Charles Veranus Libby (1844-1899) of Maine - Portland, Maine, & Skowhegan, Maine

1929 Obituary of Sarah Abbie Hanson (1844-1929), widow of Rev. Charles Veranus Hanson (1844-1899).  Her birth record shows her name as Abba S. Libby.

The obituary has a handwritten date of 1929.  It's pasted in a scrapbook with items mostly dealing with the areas of Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.

Sarah Abbie, or Sarah Abby, or Abby Sarah, or Abba S, was born on 7 February 1844 in Portland, Maine, the daughter of John Webster Libby and Jane (Rowe) Libby.  At Portland, Maine, on July 13, 1868, Sarah married Charles V. Hanson, who was also born in Portland, Maine, in 1844, the son of Lorenzo D. Hanson and Hannah (Bragg) Hanson.

Sarah and Charles, a minister, lived in various Maine towns, including Skowhegan, which presumably prompted the obituary's inclusion in the scrapbook.

Sarah and Charles and relatives on both sides are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery in Portland, Maine

Note: Several members and extended members of the Libby and Hanson families, including descendants of Sarah Abbie Hanson and Rev. Charles Veranus Hanson, attended Colby College, according to the death notice of Sarah Brush Morse, Class of 1952 in the Colby Magazine, issue of July 13, 2016.
  • Rev. Charles Veranus Hanson, Class of 1865
  • Edith (Hanson Gale), Class of 1897
  • Harold Libby Hanson, Class of 1899
  • Charles Hanson Gale, Class of 1922
  • Marion (Brush) Love, Class of 1950


Sarah Abbie Hanson

Word was received Monday of the passing of a former much loved Skowhegan woman.  Mrs. Charles V. Hanson, whose death occurred on Sunday afternoon, July 14, at Mt. Vernon, New York, where she was visiting her daughter, Mrs. Herbert L. Gale.

Mrs. Hanson, who was a Maine woman, was always very loyal to her native state. She was born in Portland, the daughter John Webster and Jane Rowe Libby, February 7, 1844. She was a graduate of Portland High School, where for several years before her marriage she was teacher of Latin, a subject in which she always kept up her proficiency.

On July 13, 1868, she was married to Rev. Charles V. Hanson, who had interrupted his college course at Colby to serve on the Christian Commission during the Civil War. In the fall of 1887 the Hansons moved from Damariscotta to Skowhegan, where Dr. Hanson became the first pastor of the Bethany Baptist Church. During his pastorate of eleven years the church grew largely in numbers and the present church edifice was built.

Mrs. Hanson was known as a devoted and successful minister's wife. She was president of the Women's Missionary Society, teacher of the young women's Bible class in the Sunday school, a constant attendant at all the church services, and she visited much in the homes. She was deeply beloved, not only in the church, but in town, where her rare sweetness of character and many gifts won her a large circle of friends. She contributed many literary papers to the Skowhegan Woman's Club, of which she served at one time as president. She was active in the work of the W. C. T. U. and other good causes, and was a Charter Member of Eunice Farnsworth Chapter, D.A. R., in which she has always retained her membership.

Mrs. Hanson was the mother of three children. The oldest was a little boy, George, who died in early childhood. Her daughter Edith and son Harold grew up in our town, where they both graduated from high school.

After the death of her husband in 1889, Mrs. Hanson passed many years with her daughter, Mrs. H. L. Gale, and family, in Medford, Mass. The past four years she has made her home with her son, Rev. Harold L. Hanson, and his wife of Claremont, N.H., going for extended visits in the homes of Mrs. Gale's daughter, Laura, who is Mrs. William Guthrie of Ludlow, Mass., and Hilda, wife of Rev. John L. Brush, New Haven, Conn. She has also passed much time with Mrs. Gale, who has pust [sic, just] moved to Mt. Vernon, N.Y., where she is making a home for her son, Charles Hanson Gale, a member of the editorial staff of "Aviation", with office in New York City.

Up to recent years, Mrs. Hanson has led a wonderfully active and helpful life, interested in the work of church and home, and a very great reader on a variety of subjects. She has been the center of an unusual family affection on the part of children, grandchildren and her little great grandson at Ludlow and was loved and cherished by a large circle of personal friends.

The funeral service was held at the Evergreen Chapel in Woodfords [Portland, Maine] on Tuesday afternoon at three o'clock, most of the family circle being present.

1929 Obituary of Rachel A. (Foss) Wood (abt 1858-1929) of Garland, Maine, Widow of Frederick Daniel Wood

1929 obituary of Mrs. Rachel A. (Foss) Wood (abt 1858-1929) of Garland, Maine, widow of Frederick Daniel Wood (1857-1921).  Rachel had been living with her daughter in Lynn, Massachusetts, for the two years prior to her death in early November 1929.

The obituary has a handwritten notation of the date November 7, 1929, but the Wednesday mentioned in the obituary was on November 6, 1929.  Perhaps November 7 was the date Rachel's body arrived at Dexter, Maine, and on to Garland, Maine.

The clipping is pasted in a scrapbook of mostly Dexter, Maine, area, and Skowhegan, Maine, area, items.

A transcription appears at the end of this post.

Rachel A. (Foss) Wood was born about 1858 in Garland, Maine, daughter of William B. Foss (-1889) [note: his FindaGrave memorial gives his death year, in error, as 1869] and Martha A. (Johnson ?) Foss (-1920). William's first wife, Rachel, died at the age of 33 in 1849; it appears that Rachel A. (Foss) Wood was named in the first wife's honor, as was the tradition.

Rachel and Fred had three sons and two daughters, I believe.  Of those, three survived their mother, as noted in the obituary.  At the time of Rachel's death, she was living with daughter Ida E. Wood in Lynn, Massachusetts.

Rachel, Fred and at least one of their children are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery at Garland, Maine, as are other relatives.

If you have information on the Wood and Foss families, please leave a comment or contact me directly.


Mrs. Rachel A. Wood
The remains of Mrs. Rachel A. Wood will arrive here [presumably Dexter, Maine] tonight from Lynn, Mass., where she passed away Wednesday morning at the home of her daughter, after several months' illness.  Funeral services will be held at the Free Baptist church in Garland Saturday morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. Carrie L. Rideout officiating.

The deceased was born in Garland 72 years ago, the daughter of William and Martha Foss, practically all her life was passed in that town. She was a women of rare charm and disposition and was loved by all who came in contact with her. She was a member of the Free Baptist Church of Garland, and during her younger days was actively affiliated with the Garland grange and Women's Relief Corps of that town.

She is survived by two sons, Charles L. Wood, of this town [Dexter, Maine], William Wood, of Swampscott, Mass., and Miss Ida E. Wood, of Lynn, Mass., with whom Mrs. Wood had been making her home during the past two years. The family have the deep sympathy of a wide circle of friends.

1924 Obituary of Leslie Simon Strout of Ripley, Maine, and Dexter, Maine

Obituary of Leslie Strout of Ripley, Maine, and Dexter, Maine, with handwriting noting the date, June 30, 1924, which was his date of death, not likely the date the obituary appeared in the newspaper.

A transcription appears at the end of this post.

The obituary was found in a scrapbook of mostly Dexter, Maine, area, and Skowhegan, Maine, area, items.

He was Leslie Simon Strout, born in Ripley, either on 7 September 1856, as a record in the Maine J. Gary Nichols Cemetery Collection, ca. 1780-1999 [backed up by information in the obituary) or in 1855, as noted on his stone, photographed on FindaGrave.

About 1885, Simon married Cora Belle Seavey or Sevey (1866-1925); they would have at least three children:
  1. Bertha Ellen Strout (1886-1960), who married Fred Albert Littlefield
  2. Selden Albert Strout (1893-1977); married Maple Hutchins
  3. Mabel Lillian Strout (1896-1964); married Wesley C. Richards

Leslie, Cora and their children are all buried in the Mount Pleasant cemetery at Dexter, Maine.


Leslie Strout
The many friends of Leslie Strout were sorry of his death which occurred Monday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Fred Littlefield.

Mr. Strout has been tenderly cared for by his daughter for the past year.

Mr. Strout was born in Ripley, September, 1856, the son of Abner and Mary Strout.

He leaves besides his widow, Mrs. Cora Strout, three children, Mrs. Bertha Littlefield, Mrs. Mabel Richards, Seldon Strout, all of Dexter. Other relatives are two sisters, Mrs. Harry Weymouth of Dexter and Mrs. Rose Nutter of California.

Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Bertha Littlefield. Rev. D. P. Pelley of the Methodist church officiated.

Ripley, Maine, in 1860

Saturday, February 22, 2020

1931 Obituary of Mary A. (Page) Gilman (1836-1931) of North Newport, Maine; Widow of John T. Gilman (1832-1917)

1931 obituary of Mrs. Mary A. (Page) Gilman (1836-1931) of Newport, Maine, widow of John Taylor Gilman (1832-1917).  The scrapbook also contains articles about Mary's 92nd birthday and her 93rd.

Transcriptions at the end of this post.

Found pasted in a scrapbook with items mostly from the Dexter, Maine, area, and Skowhegan, Maine, area. 

Mary A. (Page) Gilman was born in 1836, the daughter of Asa Page and Mary Ann (Moody) Page of Cornville, Maine, who later moved the family to Athens, Maine and then to Sangerville, Maine.  She attended Foxcroft Academy and subsequently taught in area schools until her marriage to John Taylor Gilman of Newport in 1861.

For the next 50 years, she and her husband lived on the Gilman farm in Newport.  When the farm became too much for them to manage, they moved to Newport village near their son, John Orman Gilman (1869-1955) and his family.  After John's death, Mary moved to North Newport to be with her daughter, Annie Mildred (Gilman) Crowell (1873-1969), widow of Wilson Daniel Crowell (1868-1925) and family.

John Taylor Gilman, wife Mary A. (Page) Gilman, their daughter and son and other family members are buried in the Riverside Cemetery at Newport, Maine.


Obituary of Mary A. (Page) Gilman (1836-1931)

Mrs. Mary A. Gilman

After 95 years of active and well living, Mrs. Gilman, the oldest resident in town, passed so quickly to the Great Beyond, Nov. 11th, that the daughter watching by the bedside only detected her passing on by the cessation of the sound of her breathing.

Mrs. Gilman had always enjoyed good health, having no organic disease.  There was just a few days of weakness, which the doctor said was caused by the irregularity of a worn-out heart.

In April 1930, Mrs. Gilman had the misfortune to fall in the floor, causing an impaction of her right hip. After the first few months in bed, she has been able to sit in a wheel chair and be wheeled over the house, and to walk when assisted, and to ride in the car.  She has had since her fall a nurse. Mrs. Emma Buxton of Exeter has been with her the past 16 months and has been faithful in the loving care she gave her.

The 26th of October was her natal day, and on that day and for the week following she was made happy by relatives and friends calling to offer their felicitations.

Mrs. Gilman was the next to the eldest of a family of five children of Mary Ann (Moody) Page and Asa Page. Her brothers, Benjamin and Isaac, died in early manhood. She was born in Cornville, but the family soon moved to Athens. When she was seven years of age, her father purchased a farm in Sangerville, where she lived until her marriage.

She was educated at the Foxcroft Academy and taught school with good success in the surrounding towns for several years until her marriage with J. Taylor Gilman of Newport in 1861, going to live on the Gilman farm, where they lived for more than fifty years. When Mr. Gilman because of the infirmaties [sic] of old age was unable to carry on the farm, they sold it and bought a house in Newport village near their son and wife, Mr. and Mrs. J. O. Gilman.

At the death of Mr. Gilman in 1917, Mrs. Gilman came to North Newport, to live with her daughter and husband, Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Crowell, where she has always been.

Mrs. Gilman had lived nearly a century, having been born during the second term of office of Andrew Jackson. During this time there had been four wars. She had seen the pioneer mode of living completely changed by the many wonderful inventions that have occurred during that time. She was equally as interested in the questions before the public at the present time, and for everything for the betterment of the country and community.

Endowed with a wonderful memory and possessing her faculties until the last, it was a pleasure to converse with her.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Gilman were charter members of the Sebasticook Grange, Newport, and for many years seldom missed a meeting, and were among the mainstays of the order.

Although Mrs. Gilman lived a very busy and active life she found time along life's pathway to do many kind acts, and made many friends who deeply regret her death.

The funeral services, which were largely attended, were held at the Crowell home Sunday afternoon at 1.30, with Rev. J. W. Reynolds, pastor of the High Street church, Newport, where Mrs. Gilman in the past had always attended church, conducting the services. He paid a high tribute to the character of the diseased [sic]. Quite a delegation of the U. B. B. society of this church of which Mrs. Gilman was one of the original members and took an active interest, were present at the services.

The bearers were all former residents of the Gilman district, her old neighbors, Herbert Rowe, Fred Miles, Homer Miles and Willis Robinson.

The flowers from relatives and friends from here and away, the North Newport neighborhood, the U.B.B. society, Newport; the North Newport Willing Workers; the Corinna Literary club, the North Newport Grange, the clerks in Judkins & Gilman's store, the Gilman district neighbors, were very beautiful. Mr. Taylor of Newport had charge of the funeral arrangements. The burial was in the family lot at Riverside cemetery, Newport.

She leaves to mourn her death a son, John O. Gilman, a daughters, Mrs. W. D. Crowell, three grandchildren, John T. Gilman, June Gilman and Elsie Crowell, and four step grandchildren, George W. Gilman, Fort Madison, Iowa; Mrs. Edwin Knowles, Tarpon Springs, Fla.; Mrs. Allison French, Orlando, Fla.; and Ralph Gilman, Arlington, Mass.

Transcription of article about 92nd Birthday of Mary A. (Page) Gilman (1836-1931)

Newport Woman Celebrates her 92nd Birthday

Mrs. Mary A. Gilman of Newport, who has lived with her daughter, Mrs. Annie M. Crowell, In North Newport since the death of her husband, J. Taylor Gilman, in 1917, was 92 years old Friday, Oct. 26th.
[handwriting: 1928]

She was spending the day very quietly when Leola and Lena Cochran, nearby neighbors' daughters, came bringing a box of gifts. They had but gone when relatives from Pittsfield, Mrs. Lettie M. Robinson, Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Getcheell [sic] and Mr. and Mrs. Daniel R. Getchell, came in their car, bringing felicitations and gifts.  A little later, her son and family, Mr. and Mrs. J. O. Gilman, John T. Gilman and June Gilman also Mrs. Maude Jones of Newport came with their presents and good wishes. The unexpected thoughtfulness of the relatives and friends coming to vissit [sic] her and their gifts, made Mrs. Gilman very happy.

As Mrs. Gilman's grandson, Elliot Crowell's birthday is Oct. 24th, it has always been the custom in the family to combine the dates and have a birthday supper the 26th.  As Elsie Crowell, who is at the U. of M. could not home until Saturday night, Oct 27th, the supper was deferred until then.

The table was very attractive in pink and white, with streamers of pink crepe paper extending from the ceiling to each plate. On the pink centerpiece was a bouquet of carnations, the gift of Mrs. T. E. Getchell of Pittsfield, to Mrs. Gilman.

After a Thanksgiving dinner, the two birthday cakes with lighted pink candles were brought in. One cake was made by Mrs. Maude Jones of Newport for Mrs. Gilman and one made by Mrs. Crowell for Elliot Crowell. Then oranges, peanuts, grapes, fancy cookies, jelly, fudge and chocalotes [sic] the gifts of both from Mrs. Robinson, J. O. Gilman and family, Mrs. Crowell and Elsie Crowell, were enjoyed.  Other gifts and cards sent by friends were then presented, thus making the second happy day for Mrs. Gilman.

Mrs. Gilman's health is as good as one might expect for her years. She is mentally alert to all the doings of the day. She is keenly interested in politics, and always has been one of the first to cast a vote since women were eligible to the ballot. She is a very strong Republican and is hoping to be able to cast her vote for Hoover Tuesday.

Mrs. Gilman was born in Cornville October, 26, 1836, the second child of a family of four children of Ira [other records show his name as Asa] and Mary (Moody) Page. The family moved to Athens, where she lived until 7 years old. Then the father bought a farm in Sangerville, where the parents lived until their death.

Transcription of article about 92nd Birthday of Mary A. (Page) Gilman (1836-1931)

Mrs. Mary A. Gilman Observes 93d Birthday

Mrs. Mary A. Gilman, one of the oldest, if not the oldest resident in the town observed her 93d birthday, Oct. 26th.

Since her husband's, J. Taylor Gilman's, death in December 1917, she has made her home with her daughter Mrs. W. D. Crowell, in North Newport, excepting occasional visits with her son, J. O. Gilman, and family of Newport village.

As Mrs. Gilman was not in her usual health from the effects of a cold only the immediate family and her grand daughter, Elsie Crowell, of the U. of M. and her classmate, Miss Anna Lyon, of Bar Harbor, who came for the week-end, enjoyed the birthday supper, prepared by Mrs. Crowell.  The large birthday cake was cut by Mrs. Gilman. She received many gifts, cards, letters and telephone messages of felicitations.

Among the beautiful flowers sent her by relatives, friends and neighbors, was a large box containing bouquets of pinks, of chrysanthemums and snap dragons from Mr. and Mrs. Earl Lincoln and Mr. and Mrs. Geo. S. Lincoln of Dexter and Mr. and Mrs. L. L. Lincoln and Mr. and Mrs. L. G. Lincoln of Garland.

The U.B.B. Society of the High Street church, Newport, of which Mrs. Gilman is an honorary member, but who up to the time of her declining years, was an interested and active worker, sent her a beautiful bouquet of pinks and ferns.

Among the boxes of candy and fruit, Mrs. Gilman had given her, was a box of candy from her old neighbor and friend of many years, Mrs. Lydia Miles, who is 92 years old, but who was unable because of poor health to go to North Newport.  The following Saturday, Nov. 2d, Mrs. Gilman's son J. O. Gilman, and family and Mrs. Annie Bowes drove to North Newport to carry their best wishes and gifts.

Mrs. Crowell served for her mother at this time refreshments of sandwiches, tea, orange sherbet, and assorted cake.  Mrs. Maude Jones, who planned to come to the party, but was unable to, sent a beautiful birthday cake.  This is the third consecutive year that Mrs. Jones has made a cake for Mrs. Gilman on her natal day.

Not only on her birthday, but for the following week Mrs. Gilman was made very happy by the thoughtfulness of others. Not only in Maine, but other states, for all of which Mrs. Gilman is deeply appreciative.

[In the article, the last three lines were mixed up.]

If you have information on the Cochran, Crowell, Getchell, Gilman, Jones, Moody, Page, and Robinson families of Somerset County and Penobscot County, Maine, please leave a comment.

Obituaries of Orlando W. Walker (1848-1927) and wife Emma (Vaughn) Walker (1850-1929) of Anson, Maine

Page in a scrapbook of mostly Dexter, Maine, area, and Skowhegan, Maine, area items: the obituaries of Orlando W. Walker (1848-1927) and wife Emma (Vaughn) Walker (1850-1929) of Anson, Maine.

The byline hints that this obituary was first published in the Independent-Reporter, a Skowhegan newspaper that published from 1090 to 1955.

Transcriptions appear below.

Orlando W. Walker (1848-1927), according to a death record in the Maine, Faylene Hutton Cemetery Collection, ca. 1780-1990, was born 10 July 1848. He was presumably born at Anson, Maine, or nearby, the son of George Washington Walker and Ruth (Cleveland) Walker.

Orlando and Emma Vaughn in  married in 1872, according to Orlando's obituary and to the DAR record of their daughter, Mrs. Lucy Walker Paine.  Emma's birth date is given as 27 July 1850 in the Maine, Faylene Hutton Cemetery Collection, ca. 1780-1990.  The couple had several children, named in the obituary.

Orlando and Emma are buried in the Madison Bridge Cemetery at Madison, Maine.

Transcription of obituary of Orlando W. Walker (1848-1927)

Orlando W. Walker Prominent in Civil Affairs of Native Town
[handwriting: Oct 1, 1927]
(Special to The Independent-Reporter)

Orlando W. Walker, an aged and much respected citizen of Anson passed away at his home on Nichols Hills, Saturday evening after a lingering illness of some months during which time he was tenderly cared for by his wife and children.

Mr. Walker was born in Anson on the Walker farm on the river road to North Anson, June 10, 1848, the son of G. Washington and Ruth (Cleveland) Walker, and it was in this town that the greater part of his life was passed. He attended the public schools, later being a student at the famous Eaton School in Norridgewock. He was a man who was widely read, having in his early manhood been a most successful teacher for a time.

On November 24, 1872, he was united in marriage to Emma Vaughn, of Madison. Soon after his marriage he purchased a farm on what is known as Mutton Hill. Here they made their home until a few years ago when, on account of poor health, he moved to Anson village where he passed away.

Mr. Walker was a man of sterling character, a kind, loving husband and father, a much respected citizen having held many positions of trust in his native town. He served on the Board of Selectman for several times, also on the School Board, being on the building committee at the time the Garret Schenck school building was erected. He has served on the Republican town committee. At the time of his death he was president of the Somerset Dairy Association, also president of the Forest Hill Cemetery Association. He had been a member of the Congregational church for over 55 years and was most devoted and loyal in all pertaining to its welfare, always taking an active part in its services and always present when his health permitted. He was a charter member of Kennebec Valley Grange.

He is survived by the widow, two sons, R. Morrill and Frank, both of Pittsburg, Pa.; and two daughters, Lucy, wife of Fred O. Paine of Anson and Miss Edith, who lives at home; five grandchildren, Morrill, Waldo and Ruth Paine; Elizabeth Walker and John Walker Carlson; also two brothers, Stephen and Elmore R., both of Anson.

Transcription of obituary of Emma (Vaughn) Walker (1850-1929)

Mrs. Emma Walker

Mrs. Emma Walker died at her home in Anson, October 26th, after an illness of several weeks.
[handwriting: 1929]

Mrs. Walker was a native of the town of Madison, being the daughter of Eben and Laura Piper Vaughn. She was the widow of the late Orlando Walker. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Lucy Paine and Miss Edith Walker, both of Anson; one son R. Morril Walker, of Pittsburgh, Pa. Mrs. Walker was 79 years old.

She was a member of the Congregational Church and for many years previous to her illness she was active in the church. She was also a charter member of Kennebec Valley Grange.

Mrs. Walker passed her whole life in this vicinity and her sterling character held the respect of a wide circle of friends.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. E. C. Evans, Tuesday afternoon at her residence in Anson.

If you have information to share on the Walker, Vaughn, Cleveland and Piper families of Somerset County, Maine, please leave a comment.

Newspaper Clipping: Dr. Leon Stephen Merrill (1864-1933), a Solon, Maine, Native, Becomes Grand Sire of I.O.O.F.

1927 Newspaper clipping found pasted in a scrapbook of mostly Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine, area items.

The byline hints that this article first appeared in the Skowhegan newspaper, the Independent-Reporter, which published from 1909 to 1955.

A transcription appears at the end of this post.

Dr. Leon S. Merrill (1864-1933), native of Solon, Maine, was elevated to Grand Sire of the Sovereign Lodge of Odd Fellows at the annual convention at Hot Springs, Arkansas.  A lengthy obituary of Merrill, who was a professor and dean at the University of Maine, appears on page 6 in the October 1933 issue of the Maine Alumnus.

It mentions that Dr. Merrill was one of the outstanding students in his class at Maine Medical School, but that his medical career was cut short due to failing eyesight. He then operated a store at Solon and managed a creamery, which led to his appointment as State Dairy Inspector.  He joined the faculty of the University of Maine in Orono in 1910 as Director of the Agricultural Extension Service and became Dean of the College of Agriculture.  Merrill Hall, built in the early 1930s, was named in his honor.

Leon Stephen Merrill (1864-1933) was born 22 December 1864 at Solon, Maine, the son of Stephen Merrill (1828-1916) and Jerusha Caroline (Dean) Merrill (1830-1901).  On 12 August 1884 at Solon, Maine, Leon married Alice Estelle Wilson.  According to the obituary in the Maine Alumnus, they had two children, daughter Gladys and son Earl Stephen Merrill, who followed his father into the medical field.


Native of Solon Heads Odd Fellows
(Special to the Independent-Reporter)
The elevation of Dr. Leon S. Merrill to Grand Sire of the Sovereign Lodge of Odd Fellows at the annual convention at Hot Springs, Ark., is being received with elation by his numerous friends in Somerset County, not the least of whom are his many old neighbors in Solon, his native town. He is the first in Maine and the second in New England to be thus honored.
He became an Odd Fellow in June 1886, when he was invited into Table Rock Lodge of North Anson. In 1892, he transferred to Solon Lodge in his home town. He joined the Grand Lodge in 1895.
As Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Maine, 1904-5, Dr. Merrill added 11 new subordinate lodges to the Grand Lodge, an unusually large increase in one year. When he relinquished this chair he was made representative to the Sovereign Lodge.
For the past 21 years he has served on the Sovereign Grand Lodge's legislative committee, and for the past 13 years has been its chairman. He also is an ex-officio member of the legislative committee on matters outside of North America.
He was born in Solon, Dec. 22,  1864, the son of Stephen and Caroline (Dean) Merrill. He was graduated from Solon high school, and from the Maine Medical School in 1889. He conducted a store in Solon from 1890 to 1911, serving as manager of the creamery of that town from 1900 to 1908; connected with the Maine department of Agriculture, 1907-1910; Director Agricultural Extension Service, 1910; Dean College of Agriculture, 1911; Federal Food Administrator for Maine during war; member school board and superintendent of schools; state dairy inspector. Mr. Merrill is a Rotarian, member 20th Century Club, Academy of Social and Political Science, Alpha Zeta, Phi Kappa Phi Frats, Chamber of Commerce, Maine Historical Society, Sons of the American Revolution. He is also a prominent Mason.
[handwritten in margin: Oct 6 1927 paper]

Dr. Leon Stephen Merrill, his wife Alice Estelle (Wilson) Merrill and their children Gladys Helen Merrill and Dr. Earl Stephen Merrill are buried in Mount Hope Cemetery at Bangor, Maine.

If you have information on the Merrill, Dean and/or Wilson families, please leave a comment.

Friday, February 21, 2020

Obituary of Albert W. Smith, Civil War Veteran, of Skowhegan, Maine - Present at Lee's Surrender

1927 obituary pasted into a scrapbook of content mostly from Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.

The byline hints that this article first appeared in the Skowhegan newspaper, the Independent-Reporter, which published from 1909 to 1955.

Obituary of Civil War veteran Albert W. Smith (1848-1927), son of William Bainbridge Smith and Rachel (Whittier) Smith (1817-1899).

Interestingly, Albert, who was present at Lee's surrender, brought home a piece of root of the foliage under which the surrender occurred.

Civil War Veteran was Present at Lee's Surrender
(Special to the Independent-Reporter)

Funeral services for Albert W. Smith, a Civil War veteran, were conducted a his late home on upper North Avenue Saturday afternoon. Rev. Herbert L. Nichols, pastor of Centenary Methodist Episcopal church, officiating.  The bearers were C. E. Locke, George Hobart, William Palmer and Merton L. Dennis.  Burial was in the north cemetery. Among those from out of town present was Earl W. Smith, of Boston, Mass.

Mr. Smith was stricken with heart trouble at six o'clock on the evening of September 28th, while in his barn. He was born in Skowhegan Oct. 4th, 1848, the son of William B. and Rachel (Whittier) Smith.  He attended the local schools and on August 22, 1864, enlisted in Company B, 20th Maine Infantry, and saw service in many engagements. He was present at the surrender of General Lee, and brought home a piece of root of the tree beneath the foliage of which that great historical event took place, and always valued that memento as the most valuable of his war time souvenirs.

He had been a member of the Methodist church since August 1, 1869, and was affiliated with Russell Post, F.A. R. and Skowhegan Grange.  He was a farmer. Two brothers and three sisters have preceded him in death.  He leaves to mourn his loss a brother, Joseph Nay Smith, the well-known music dealer, of Skowhegan.

If you have information on the Smith family of Skowhegan, Maine,  please leave a comment.  Perhaps Albert's relatives include Congressman Clyde Harold Smith (1876-1940), first husband of Senator Margaret Chase Smith (1897-1995).

Birthday Notice of Samuel P. Durrell (1840-1927), Civil War Veteran of Skowhegan, Maine

Found in a scrapbook of mostly Dexter, Maine, to Skowhegan, Maine, content:

Birthday notice of Samuel P. Durrell, who was sent home to die as a result of his Civil War service and yet lived to re-enlist and to reach the age of 86.

Samuel P. Durrell of Skowhegan Observes His Birthday
SKOWHEGAN, July 25 - (Special) Though sent home during the Civil War to die, Samuel P. Durrell of Main Street, lived to re-enlist before the end of the conflict, and tomorrow will reach his 86th birthday. Mr. Durrell is a lifelong resident of Skowhegan and for forty years was an employee of the Bailey oil cloth factory, retiring when that firm went out of business here.  His household consists of himself and his wife, who was formerly Miss Georgia A. Littlefield, and their second son, Forrest Durrell. Their older son, G. E. Durrell, was formerly postmaster, and their youngest son, Howard Durrell, is the present assistant postmaster.  Mr. Durrell is a member of Russell Post, No. 96, G.A. R.

More information on Samuel P. Durrell's Civil War service is provided on his Find a Grave memorial.  As noted in the birthday notice, Samuel's wife was Georgia A. (Littlefield) Durrell (1849-1929).  Their sons:
  1. George E. Durrell who married Grace Wentworth
  2. C. Forrest Durrell (1876-1948)
  3. Howard Littlefield Durrell (-1974); married Nellie L. Phillips

Samuel P. Durrell, his wife Georgia A. (Littlefield) Durrell and at least two of their children are buried in the Southside Cemetery in Skowhegan, Maine.

See the Civil War monument, erected in 1898, in Skowhegan here.

If you have information on the Durrell family of Skowhegan, Maine, and/or if you have information on the Russell that GAR post 96 was named for, please leave a comment or contact me directly.

1930 Obituary of Abel Jackman Hunnewell of Kingfield, Maine

1930 obituary pasted in a scrapbook of mostly Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine, area items.

A Real Grandson of American Revolution
Abel Jackman Hunnewell of Kingfield Passes Away at The Age of 86

Abel Jackman Hunnewell, a real grandson of the Revolution and the last survivor of a family of 15 brothers and sisters, one of the best known men in Franklin County recently died at his home in Kingfield at the age of 86.

Mr. and Mrs. Hunnewell celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1923 and the event created widespread interest among Kingfield residents. Mrs. Hunnewell was formerly Miss Lelia Sophia Hill, youngest daughter of Jabez Dorman and Lucretia Whitcomb Hill.  Her ancestors were also of Revolutionary stock.

Mr. Hunnewell was the youngest son of Herman [his stone reads Heman] and Melinda Smith Hunnewell and was born in Solon, Dec. 16, 1843.  He was a real grandson of the Revolution, his grandfather, Thomas Hunnewell (1756-1829), having come from Wiscasset soon after the Revolutionary War and settled in what is now the town of Madison.

Mr. Hunnewell went to California when about 19 years of age, where several of his brothers had gone during the gold mine excitement, and he remained there about a year. He returned home and learned the trade of axe-making and followed that trade until ill health would no longer permit.  For many years he had a factory in Kingfield.

He was a charter member of Gov. King Lodge, I.O.O.F. and the oldest member at the time of his death.

Besides his wife, he leaves one daughter, Miss Lelia Hill Hunnewell.

Funeral services were held in Bingham and the Rev. W. B. Watson, pastor of Grace Universalist Church of Kingfield officiated. The following eight nephews acted as bearers: Olin B. Hunnewell of Augusta; Carl S. Hunnewell of Madison; Elbridge R. Hunnewell of North Anson; Charles S. and John F. Hunnewell of Bingham; Scott Hunnewell of Eustis; Carroll and Will F. Hunnewell of Caratunk, the first three mentioned being sons of the late Dr. David S. Hunnewell of Madison and the last five, sons of the late Sumner C. Hunnewell of The Forks.  

Interment was in the family in the Bingham cemetery.  An unusually large profusion of flowers testified to the esteem in which the deceased was held.

Abel Jackman Hunnewell (1844-1930), wife Lelia Sophia (Hill) Hunnewell (1854-1947) and their daughter Lelia Hill Hunnewell (1874-1945)  are buried in the Bingham Village Cemetery at Bingham, Maine.  Their FindaGrave memorial notes three additional children, who all died before 1900.  If they were indeed the children of Abel and Lelia, it's disappointing they weren't mentioned in the obituary.

If you have information to share on the Hunnewell family, please leave a comment or contact me directly.

Newspaper Clippings About the Curtis Family of Garland, Maine: Judge George Curtis (1831-1912); Sarah A. Curtis (1840-1829); Memoir of Sarah A. Curtis, "Charity"

Clippings found in an early 20th century scrapbook of mostly the Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine, areas: regarding the Curtis family of Garland, Maine.

The clippings consist of obituaries of Sarah A. Curtis (1840-1929) and Judge George Curtis (1831-1912) and a memoir in installments, "My History", written by Sarah A. Curtis, under her pen name of "Charity".

They were the children of George Curtis and Louisa Sutton (Angove) Curtis. of Garland, Maine.

According to the clippings, Sarah A. Curtis was born in Garland on December 1, 1840, the daughter of "George Curtis, one of the early settlers of the town".  Sarah was a writer, who, under the name "Charity" or "Charity Snow", penned many articles that appeared in Maine newspapers.

Sarah's older sister, Susan Oak Curtis (1836-1920), was also a writer and a poet; she frequently used the pen name "Hope Harvey".  Sarah noted that writing was a "heritage from our mother".

After Susan died, Sarah moved to Enfield, Massachusetts, to the home of her nephew Rev. John S. Curtis and his wife.  He was the son of Judge George Curtis.

Events detailed in Sarah's "My History": not necessarily in order, as the history appears in installments of recollections:
  • Death of her little brother, presumably Willie Curtis, who died in 1853
  • Sarah entered high school at the age of 12
  • Started school teaching at age 15 at South Dover, Maine, with 36 students - she earned $17.50 for a ten-week term
  • Since it was "not the custom to employ girls for winter teachers", Sarah then went to work at a straw shop in Massachusetts for "Father Chenery", where she hand sewed straw over blocks for bonnets. She eventually returned home to Garland, but went back the following year and would use her straw working skills to make and remake bonnets for herself and others for the rest of her life.
  • Sarah's brother George, a schoolteacher, was called to Presque Isle, Maine, to teach at the academy and, while there, was asked to be assistant editor at the Herald, as the editor, Joseph B. Hall, was tapped to be Secretary of State and needed a temporary replacement.
  • On George's recommendation in 1860, Sarah traveled from Garland, Maine, to Presque Isle, Maine, to be compositor at the Herald.  The trip took the better part of four days: to Bangor; to Mattawamkeag; to Houlton; finally to Presque Isle - in a stage coach, drawn by four horses that were refreshed every fifteen miles.  Sarah noted that later in life the trip from Presque Isle to Garland took only one day.
  • Joseph B. Hall returned to Presque Isle, and Sarah's brother subsequently left for Brewer, Maine, where he purchased a drug store, left that business to teach and held many civic offices in his retirement years, including many years as trial justice.
  • Sarah then became a teacher in Presque Isle.  She remembers the grand leaving of the troops for the Civil War and the sad burials/memorials that would ensue, including the emotional memorial address given by Elder Stickney upon the death of Abraham Lincoln.
  • Other Presque Isle people she mentioned: C. L. S. Johnson and wife; Elder Helmerhausen, a Methodist minister
  • Aroostook County residents referred to other places in Maine and beyond as "Outside"
  • Sarah returned home to Garland and cared for her mother and sister, who had become an invalid.
  • After Susan's death in 1920, Sarah left Garland to live with her nephew, Rev. John S. Curtis and wife in Massachusetts
  • Many reminiscences of old time fabrics; visits from the man with the tin cart and from the variety pedler and of Joe Parker who ran a meat cart; teaching in Dover; the Herald; Presque Isle; later years in Garland

Obituary of Judge George Curtis (1831-1912).
  • Born at Garland, Maine, on October 25, 1831, son of George Curtis and Louisa Sutton (Angove) Curtis
  • Attended school in Garland and at North Yarmouth Academy 
  • Married Eliza Weld Crowell of Orono on April 28, 1860.  She died in April 1890.
  • Went to Presque Isle to teach and be principal at the academy; was assistant editor at the Presque Isle Herald and also worked at the Aroostook Pioneer.
  • Moved to Brewer, Maine; purchased a drug store from Frank G. Connor
  • Left the drug business to return to teaching
  • After retiring from teaching, he worked in civic affairs and became Brewer's trial justice; at various times was supervisor of schools; city clerk
  • A Republican, his first vote was cast against slavery
  • Master of a Masonic lodge; Patron of Husbandry; member of the Order of United Friends
  • Methodist; member of the Brewer Methodist Episcopal Church
  • Died in 1912 at Eastern Maine General Hospital in Bangor, Maine 
  • Survived by 
  • Survived by four children: Laban W. Curtis of Brewer, Maine; Rev. John S. Curtis of Ludlow, Massachusetts; Charles W. Curtis of Augusta, Maine; and Miss Lilla E. Curtis of Brewer; two sisters, Miss Susan O. Curtis and Miss Sarah A. Curtis of Garland, Maine
  • Funeral held on Tuesday, June 11, 1912, with Rev. H. A. Sherman, assisted by Rev. W. L. Pratt of the Baptist Church. Allan G. Ray and Mrs. Frank C. Brastow sang.  City council attended as a group; flag flew at half mast at city hall.

Sarah, Susan, their parents and younger brother Willie are all buried in the Maplewood Cemetery at Garland, Maine.  Judge George Curtis, his wife Eliza and at least two of their children are buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery at Brewer, Maine.

If you have information on any of the people mentioned above, please leave a comment or contact me directly.