Autograph album that belonged to a Catherine, presumably from the Rhinebeck, New York area, as that is the only place mentioned.
The album contains the calling card of Mrs. Edwin Hill. Interestingly, an Edwin Hill (1820-1905) lived his adult life in Rhinebeck, New York; even more interestingly, his wife was Catherine (Cramer) Hill (1823-1913). This Catherine may have been the album's owner.
Catherine (Cramer) Hill was the daughter of Jacob Wendell Cramer and Clarissa (possibly Kip) Cramer. Interestingly, Catherine's brother Charles I. Cramer (1812-1893) married Eveanna Van Steenburgh (1821-1917), who is presumably the Eveanna who inscribed a page in Catherine's album.
The album, which measures approximately 7-3/4 by 6", was printed by J. C. Riker of New York.
In addition to the eight inscriptions are four hand colored engravings of flowers.
Only two of the inscribers and the calling card reveal a surname, but I was able to tease out what I believe is the surname of a third. Those surnames are:
- Cramer (inferred)
- Hoff or Huff
If the owner of the album was not Catherine (Cramer) Hill, multiple other Catherines lived in Rhinebeck during the appropriate era. If you feel that the owner was Catherine (Cramer) Hill or if you can tease out another identity for her or any of the inscribers, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
- Catherine; autograph album owner, presumably of Rhinebeck, New York. Possibly Catherine (Cramer) Hill (1823-1913), christened May 20, 1823 at Rhinebeck, New York; daughter of Jacob W. Cramer and Clarissa (Yip) Cramer; wife of Edwin Hill (1820-1905)
- Frances; inscribed a two-page sentiment at Rhinebeck, New York, on May 20, 1843
- Eveanna; inscribed a 2-page sentiment on May 25, 1843. Presumably Eveanna Cramer (1821-1917)
- Mary; inscribed at Rhinebeck, New York on August 3, 1843
- Martha C; inscribed at Rhinebeck, New York on June 26; no year written but presumably in the 1840s
- M. C.; inscribed at Rhinebeck, New York, on August 6th;no year written, but presumably in the 1840s
- F. E. Champlin, or F. C. Champlin; inscribed at Rhinebeck, New York, on August 3, 1843. Perhaps Ellis Frances Champlin (1821-1879), "Alice", who would marry Ephraim Barringer
- Eveanna; inscribed a 2-page sentiment on May 25, 1843. Presumably Eveanna (Van Steenburgh) Cramer (1821-1917), wife of Charles I. Cramer
- G. V. H.; inscribed at Rhinebeck, New York, on February 10, 1845. Not sure of initials
- Mrs. Edwin Hill - her calling card. Interestingly, Edwin Hill's wife was Catherine (Cramer) Hill (1821-1913); she may have been the owner of the autograph album.
- Sarah Hoff or Sarah Huff; inscribed a 2-page sentiment