1932 Clipping: Mrs. Mary C. (Fletcher) Adams (1846-1945) of Wilton, Maine, Marks her 86th Birthday.
The clipping is pasted in a scrapbook of items mostly from the area around Skowhegan, Maine, and Dexter, Maine.
Wilton Woman Marks Her 86th Birthday
Special Despatch to Sunday Telegram.
Wilton, Dec. 24 - In the home where she has lived for 57 years Mrs. Mary Fletcher Adams observed her 86th birthday in a quiet manner Wednesday. Mrs. Adams, still very active, calls on neighbors nearly every day and this Fall visited for several weeks in East Wilton. She was born in that town and lived there until her marriage July 12, 1870 to the late Dr. Alonzo B. Adams. They lived in Strong two and a half years and then moved to Wilton where she has lived since. Mrs. Adams is a granddaughter of Jeremiah Fletcher, a Revolutionary soldier. She has a sister Mrs. J. D. Hardy of Waterville, now in her 95th year, and a brother, W. B. Fletcher, of Skowhegan.
- Mrs. Mary C. (Fletcher) Adams (1846-1945), daughter of David Fletcher (1805-1876) and Sarah A. (Stickney) Fletcher (1813-1903); Mary's parents
- Dr. Alonzo Bishop Adams (1843-1909); Mary's late husband; more information from the 1911 issue of Obituary Record of the Graduates of Bowdoin College and Medical School of Maine and from the 1897 publication: Biographical Review: This Volume Contains Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens of Oxford and Franklin Counties. Dr. Adams lost his leg in the Battle of Fredericksburg and yet managed a rural medical practice. He died as a result of appendicitis.
- Jeremiah Fletcher (1756-1839); Mary's grandfather, who served in the Revolutionary War as a corporal on the Massachusetts Continental line
- Mrs. Lucy C. (Fletcher) Hardy (1838-1933); Mary's sister and the widow of John Drury Hardy (1836-1910)
- Walter Burton Fletcher (1856-1948); Mary's brother
Not mentioned in the article: Mary's son Lynne Fletcher Adams (1877-1941), a graduate of Colby College. Mary had another son, Earle Gilbert Adams, who died young.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, please leave a comment.