1938 obituary of Leland Alba Ross (1868-1938) of Guilford, Maine.
The obituary is pasted in a scrapbook of items mostly from the area encompassing Dexter, Maine, and Skowhegan, Maine.
Leland A. Ross
Leland A. Ross, 70, formerly of Dexter, passed away Wednesday morning at the home of his daughter, Miss Ferne Ross, in Portland where he and Mrs. Ross have been spending the winter months. Mr. Ross had been in poor health for several years, his condition becoming critical about a week ago. Mr. Ross was born in Atkinson February 18, 1868, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ross. He came to Dexter in 1910, and was superintendent of schools in Dexter, Ripley, and Garland until 1917, when he went to Gardiner where he served the schools of that city as superintendent for several years. He held similar positions in Saugus, Mass; Charleston and Guilford, Maine. At Guilford he was obliged to retire from active service because of ill health, and has since made his home there. While in Dexter, he and his family won many friends who will long remember him for his genial ways and sincerity.
He was a member of the Universalist church, the Masonic order, and the Dexter club.
Funeral services will be held at the Harvey Funeral parlors in Guilford Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock.
Surviving besides the widow and daughter, are a son D. Stanton Ross, of Dexter; a sister, Mrs. Winnie Higgins of Charleston, and three brothers, Eugene E. of Guilford, Raymond of Milo and Donald of Enosburg Falls, Vermont.
Note: the reference to Saugus, Massachusetts, led me to a reference in the Harvard University Catalog of 1903 indicating that Leland Alba Ross, then principal at Saugus High School, was a graduate of Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.
- Leland A. Ross (1868-1938)
- Charlotte Fern (Ross) Weymouth (1896-1986); daughter of Leland A. Ross; would marry Henry Stanley Weymouth (1897-1966). Fern is buried with her parents in Fairfield, Maine; he is buried with his first wife Mildred Irene (Eaton) Weymouth in Dexter, Maine
- Maud Elizabeth (Hussey) Ross (1872-1961); wife of Leland A. Ross
- Frank Ross (1844-1928) and Sarah Jane (Tewksbury) Ross (1845-1915); parents of Leland A. Ross.
- Donald Stanton Ross (1901-1954; son of Leland A. Ross
- Mrs. Mary Elva (Ross) Higgins (1871-1947), "Minnie"; sister of Leland A. Ross and wife of John E. Higgins (1871-1951). I assume the "Rase" on the FindaGrave memorial is a transcription error
- Eugene Elliston Ross (1874-1951) of Guilford; brother of Leland A. Ross
- Raymond Ross (1879-1962); brother of Leland A. Ross
- Ralph Donald Ross (1887-1964); brother of Leland A. Ross