20 September 1835 letter mailed from Gardiner, Maine, by Josiah Prescott Mooers to his brother Timothy Mooers at New York City, to advise Timothy of the death of their uncle, Peter Mooers, on 9 September 1835. Transcript below.
Josiah Prescott Mooers was born 27 December 1804 at Deerfield, New Hampshire, the son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Prescott) Mooers, "Betsey", New Hampshire natives who moved to Vienna, Maine.
Josiah moved to Maine when in his early thirties and then to Minnesota in 1852. In 1856 he settled at Mooers Prairie, now called Cokato, where he became a noted citizen. Read about the settling of Cokato here and see a wonderful photograph of Josiah Prescott Mooers and wife Rachel (Peterson) Mooers here.
His parents Nathaniel and Betsey (Prescott) Mooers had twelve or more children. Another son, Samuel, had a granddaughter, Clara Augusta Hoyt, who was adopted by Josiah and his wife.
In Philadelphia in October 1832, Josiah Prescott Mooers married Rachel Peterson, who was born in New Jersey on 16 January 1815.
They had three children of their own, and they adopted Josiah's niece:
- Josiah Nathaniel Mooers, born at New York City on 5 August 1833
- Augustus Peterson Mooers, born at Vienna, Maine, on 8 April 1835
- Henry Mooers, born at Vienna, Maine, on 27 December 1836
- Clara Augusta Hoyt Mooers, born at Vienna, Maine about 24 May 1846 to William and Angeline (Mooers - daughter of Josiah's brother Samuel) Hoyt; adopted by Josiah and Rachel
- Timothy Conover Mooers, born December 1837; died 3 March 1838
- Maria Elizabeth Mooers, born December 1839; died 1921
- George Henry Mooers, born 1840; died 1841
- George Vienna Mooers, born 1843
- Eugene Edwin Mooers, born 1845; died 1863 in the Civil War
- Charles Albert Mooers, born 1850; died 1873
- Smith Timothy Mooers, born 1850
- Mehitable Mooers, born 23 December 1776 m at Candia, New Hampshire; died 16 October 1822 at Vienna, Maine
- Samuel Mooers, born 7 September 1778 at Candia, New Hampshire
- Peter Mooers, born 20 August 1780 at Candia, New Hampshire; died 5 March 1814
- John Mooers, born 1 July; 1782 at Candia, New Hampshire; died 29 March 1844 at Deerfield, New Hampshire
- Nathaniel Moore, born 20 July 1784 at Candia, New Hampshire; died 17 August 1814 at Vienna, Maine
- Mary Polly Mooers, born 10 August 1786 at Candia, New Hampshire; died 1835 at Mount Vernon, Maine
- Abigail Mooers, born 4 December 1788 at Candia, New Hampshire; died 1835 at Mount Vernon, Maine