Note: Please scroll down to the comments for additional background on Frank provided by a reader on 31 March 2013.
1905 graduation photograph of Frank Bartlett McSoley, a student at Technical High School at Providence, Rhode Island.
The photograph itself is 4" x 3"; the piece mounted is 10" x 7". It was found with 15 similar photographs of 6 other young men and 9 young women. Most of the photographs, if not all, were taken at the studio of Edgar K. Horton of Providence.
A list of the people in the photographs appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections welcome!]
Frank Bartlett McSoley was born 11 December 1885 at Providence, Rhode Island, the son of Bartholomew and Carrie A. (Slocum) McSoley, who were born in Rhode Island and Massachusetts respectively.
Frank's paternal grandparents were Bartholomew and Catherine McSoley. His maternal grandparents were Frank and Sarah Slocum.
I don't have Catherine's maiden name, but she gave her birthplace as Ireland on the Census forms. She married a Mr. Gleason after Bartholomew died.
I found conflicting records on Frank Slocum, so there may have been more than one in the New Bedford, Massachusetts area. Was he Francis or Franklin? His wife Sarah noted on the 1880 Census that she was married, but Frank was not in the household.
There was a Francis H. Slocum living at New Bedford at the time of the 1880 Census; he was listed as widowed. Perhaps that was not quite the case, or perhaps he was the Francis below, with his birth date wrong.
Interestingly, there was a Francis Humphrey Slocum, son of Rodney and Mary C. (Haskins) Slocum, who married Sara Luscomb and had a daughter named Caroline. The dates of birth are out of whack as much as ten years or so for the people I'm researching, though.
If you can resolve this mystery, please leave a comment.
In the 1910 Census of Providence, Frank was shown as living with his parents and maternal grandmother and working as an electrical engineer at an electric company. I didn't find a marriage record for him, but I could have missed it.
Sadly, he died at the age of 30, on 15 August 1916 in Rhode Island.
If you have corrections to the information above, or additions to it, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
A list of the people in the 16 photographs:
- Ethel B. Arnold, June 1905
- Rachel C. Arnold, T.H.S. 1905
- Ernest Spencer Calder, Tech 05, "Giles Corey"
- Mary Alice Carpenter, June 1905
- Jessie J. Colvin, T.H.S. '05
- Florence Dombey Colwell, Class of 1905, T.H.S.
- Edith M. Fairbrother, T.H.S. 1905
- Joseph Alfred Fallows, Tech. '05
- Farah C. Glynne, [not sure of this name], T.H.S. 1905
- Annie Francesca Goff, Class of 1905 [died 22 March 1909]
- Marjorie Goff, Christmas 1904
- George Gould, T.H.S. '05
- Ella Grace Hartman, April 26, 1905
- Charles J. Martin, T.H.S. '05 [became noted artist Charles James Martin]
- Frank Bartlett McSoley, T.H.S. 1905
- Mancel Talcott, T.H.S. '05