1890-1895 autograph album that belonged to Elizabeth Mariah (Colegrove) Denney of Ashland, Oregon. It was presented to her by Ida Porter, who sketched and colored a lovely design.
The album, a large one, measures approximately 8-1/2" x 7" and contains the sentiments of 23 of Elizabeth's friends. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the signers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
The album has a religious tone, and I believe that several of the signers, perhaps most of them, were ministers, though they didn't identify themselves as such. Perhaps Elizabeth met them at religious conferences.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Elizabeth Mariah Colegrove was born in August 1849 in New York, the daughter of William Horace Colegrove and Alzara (Lamphere) Colegrove. Elizabeth married Samuel E. Denney on June 24, 1866 in Indiana. They lived for a time in Iowa and then, sometime between 1880 and 1890, moved to Oregon. They had three sons: William; Frederick; and Walter. Elizabeth died in 1900.
Below, a few pages from the album.
The first page of sentiments has the names of four signers: John P. Newman; M. C. Wire; S. P. Wilson; and Edward Thompson. There's a photograph of John P. Newman, presumably cut from a magazine, and pasted to the page above his name.
George L. Cole inscribed a page "For the Yosemite Valley and the Big Trees" on April 4, 1891.
Selah W. Brown inscribed a page at Ashland, Oregon, on July 15, 1893.
George Robert Cairus inscribed a page at Ashland, Oregon, on February 18, 1892, and mentioned "Locksley House, Sherwood Rise, Nottingham, England".
I had a hard time with the name below, but, with a liberal use of asterisks, I was able to tease it out as John Hogarth Dozier, who signed his page at Ashland, Oregon, on December 23, 1898.
Surnames in the album
Signers in the album [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- E. ?; surname possibly Sherman or Slesanen or ? Shared the page with W. S. Harrington
- Emma M. Barrett, signed on March 28, 1891 at Port Townsend, Washington. "Your loving sister in Christ"
- Selah W. Brown, signed at Ashland, Oregon, on July 15, 1893
- George Robert Cairus of "Locksley House", Sherwood Rise, Nottingham, England; signed at Ashland, Oregon, on February 18, 1892
- George L. Cole, signed on April 4, 1891 "For the Yosemite Valley and The Big Trees"
- Mrs. E. M. Denny, compliments of Ida Porter. The album owner, Mrs. E. M. Denney, was presumably Elizabeth Mariah (Colegrove) Denney, wife of Samuel Denney.
- John Hogarth Dozier, signed at Ashland, Oregon, on December 23, 1898.
- W. S. Harrington, signed on August 24, 1890. Shared the page with E. ?
- E. C. Hawley, signed at Ashland, Oregon, on July 11, 1893
- H. W. Hicks, signed at Grants Pass, Oregon, on August 24, 1890
- T. L. Jones, signed on April 11, 1891
- C. A. Lewis, signed on 4/11/1891
- John P. Newman (with a photograph clipped from a magazine pasted above) of Grans Pass, Oregon, on August 23, 1890
- Ida Porter; presented the album to Elizabeth
- Mr. and Mrs. N. N. Riddell, signed on "4/12/1892
- Albert G. Rockfellow, signed at Ashland, Oregon, on November 27, 1895
- H. P. Satchwell, signed on August 10, 1890
- C. C. Stratton, signed at Grants Pass, Oregon, on August 24, 1890
- D. T. Summerville, signed at Halsey, Oregon, on August 24, 1890. Presumably Rev. David Thornton Summerville.
- Edward Thompson, signed on November 15, 1891; shared the page with John P. Newman; M. C. Wire; and S. P. Wilson
- E. E. Thompson, signed at Ashland, Oregon, on July 12, 1893
- S. P. Wilson; shared the page with John P. Newman; M. C. Wire and Edward Thompson
- M. C. Wire; shared the page with John P. Newman; S. P. Wilson; and Edward Thompson