1861-1863 autograph album that I believe belonged to Annette Sanborn of Baldwin, Maine.
Most of the pages are inscribed to Annette. The album contains clippings related to the Sanborn family, including the death notice of Annette Sanborn's mother, Abigail (Brown) Sanborn. And one signer, Sue Brown, expressed a cousin relationship with Annette. Annette Sanborn and Susan Brown were second cousins, as they shared great grandparents Capt. David and Abigal (Munroe) Brown.
The album measures approximately 7-3/4" x 6-1/4" and contains the sentiments of sixteen of Annette's friends and relatives, as well as six short newspapers clippings pasted on the back end papers. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
The album is a beauty, published by Moss & Brother of Philadelphia, and contains several lovely engravings, shown farther below.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Annette Sanborn was born 13 February 1830 at Baldwin, Maine, the daughter of Asa and Abigail (Brown) Sanborn, who were born at Standish, Maine, and Baldwin, Maine, respectively. I don't believe Annette, a seamstress, ever married. She died at Baldwin, Maine, on 14 November 1886.
Below, the page signed by cousin Sue Brown at East Baldwin, Maine, on July 14, 1863. There was a Susan Brown at Baldwin, born 9 August 1843 at Baldwin, Maine, daughter of Cyrus Snell Brown and Mary Polly (Burnham) Brown. As noted above, Susan Brown and Annette Sanborn shared great grandparents Capt. David Brown and Abigail (Munroe) Brown.
Nathaniel P. Allen signed a page and indicated he was serving in the United States Navy, apparently during the Civil War.
The two pages that had clippings pasted on them:
- In Cornish, 5th inst., by Rev. Mr. Cole, Mr. Alden B. Sanborn of Baldwin and Miss Elizabeth Chadburn of Sebago.
- In Cornish, 2d inst., Mr. James M. Sanborn and Miss Hannah Plaisted; Isaac R. Wiggins and Miss Delphina Sanborn, all of Baldwin
- In Frankfort, 5th inst., Lillian DeGarcia, only child of Nathaniel P. and Flavilla E. Allen, aged 1 month
- In East Baldwin, 6th inst., Mrs. Abigail B., widow of the late Asa Sanborn, aged 62 years 14 days
- A seat by the fireside is vacant, A dear form so loved is now gone, Yes, one from our number is taken, Whose place can be filled by none.
- In Sebago, 25th ult. of diptheria [sic], Martha, wife of Andrew J. Robinson, and daughter of Isaac and Mercy Ridlon, aged 32 years and 10 months. By this sudden bereavement, a husband is called to mourn the loss of a lovely wife; aged parents, an affectionate daughter; while three small children are deprived of a kind and attentive mother, and a large circle of friends have lost a near and dear companion. Though her sufferings were intense, yet she bore them with more than earthly resignation, and her pure spirit has taken its flight to her Saviour, whom she loved supremely.
Surnames in the album
Signers in the album, or mentioned in a clipping:
- Nathaniel P. Allen, U.S. Navy
- Death notice of Lillian DeGarcia of Frankfort, Maine, only child of Nathaniel P. and Flavilla E. Allen, aged 1 month; clipping pasted in Annette's album
- Cousin Sue Brown, signed at East Baldwin, Maine, on July 14, 1863; not sure of first name. If she was Susan Brown, she would have been the second cousin of Annette Sanborn, as they shared great grandparents, Capt. David Brown and Abigail (Munroe) Brown.
- Elizabeth Chadburn of Sebago, Maine; clipping of her marriage to Alden B. Sanborn, Annette's brother of Baldwin, Maine
- S. M. Colcord
- Emily M. Davis
- John H. Davis, signed at Standish, Maine, on August 31, 1862
- Melintha S. Davis, signed at Standish, Maine, on August 24, 1862
- M. Lizzie Davis, signed on November 4, 1861
- Almira Dow, signed on May 23, 1862
- J. Harnden
- Ianthe E. Hill
- Eliza Mausch
- Miss Hannah Plaisted of Baldwin, Maine; clipping of her marriage to James M. Sanborn of Baldwin, Maine.
- Death notice of Martha (Ridlon) Robinson, wife of Andrew Robinson and daughter of Isaac and Mercy Ridlon; she left three small children. Clipping pasted in Annette's album.
- Annette Sanborn of Baldwin, Maine; album owner
- P. Jane Sanborn [not sure of middle name]; signed a page and its overleaf
- ? J. Sanborn, signed on May 17, 1862
- Alden B. Sanborn of Baldwin, Maine, Annette's brother; clipping of his marriage to Elizabeth Chadburn of Sebago, Maine
- James M. Sanborn of Baldwin, Maine; clipping of his marriage to Miss Hannah Plaisted of Baldwin, Maine
- Miss Delphina Sanborn of Baldwin, Maine; clipping of her marriage to Isaac R. Wiggins of Baldwin, Maine
- Death notice of Annette's mother Mrs. Abigail (Brown) Sanborn; clipping pasted in Annette's album
- Isaac R. Wiggins; he signed a page and is presumably the Isaac R. Wiggins of Baldwin, Maine, whose marriage to Miss Delphina Sanborn of Baldwin, Maine, was mentioned in a clipping pasted in Annette's album.
View Larger Map
Thanks for stopping by!
I am doug noble from the Baldwin Maine Historical Society, is Annette Sanborn's Album still available?
Yes, it is. Please contact me at the email address near the top at right, under Inquiries.ReplyDelete