Small 1860s/1870s account book that belonged to the family of Edward D. Kaler and wife Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler, "Eliza", of Waldoboro, Maine.
The book measures a bit less than 6" by 4" and contains nine leaves. Two of the leaves are missing portions; one leaf is detached but present; and there may be missing pages. The inside front and back covers were both used. See all of the pages at the end of this post.
Eliza noted on two pages that two of her granddaughters were at the head of the class: Eliza B. Kaler and Alcada Kaler [spelled Alcarder in the account book]. They were the daughters of Eliza and Edward's son Oscar E. Kaler and his wife Elizabeth (possibly Kaler) Kaler. Eliza, born in 1857, married Lyndon W. Keizer; she died in1903 at age 46. Sadly, Alcada, born in 1859, died even younger, in 1883 at age 23, a few short years after her 1879 marriage to George Achorn.
Edward's ancestors were among the German immigrants to the Broad Bay Settlement, at what is now Waldoboro, Maine, encouraged to settle there by land grantee Samuel Waldo; he and his son made several trips to Europe to recruit settlers.
From brief online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions requested!]
Edward D. Kaler was born at Waldoboro, Maine, on March 4, 1800, the son of Charles Ludwig Kaler and Mary (Genthner) Kaler. Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler, "Eliza", was born on April 24, 1800, possibly at Thomaston, Maine. Edward and Eliza married in 1823 at Waldoboro, Maine. They had at least four children:
- Webster Kaler (1824-1920); married Rebecca Achorn
- Jane Ann Kaler (1825-1907); married Benjamin M. Kaler
- Edward B. Kaler (1830-1917); married Mary Umberhind
- Oscar E. Kaler (1832-1901); married 1) Elizabeth (possibly Kaler) Kaler; 2) Amanda V. Nash
- Genthner; written as Gentner in the account book
- Alcada Kaler; daughter of Oscar E. Kaler, son of Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler and Edward D. Kaler
- Alden O. Kaler; grandson of Edward D. Kaler and Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler; son of Benjamin M. and Jane Ann (Kaler) Kaler
- Edward D. Kaler; husband of account book owner Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler, "Eliza"
- Eliza Mc. Kaler; Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler; account book owner
- Eliza B. Kaler; daughter of Oscar E. Kaler, son of Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler and Edward D. Kaler
- George Kaler; older brother of Edward D. Kaler
- Jane Ann Kaler; daughter of Edward D. Kaler and Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler
- Oscar E. Kaler; son of Edward D. Kaler and Elizabeth McLellan (Shibles) Kaler