1840s/1850s autograph album that belonged to Hannah Maria Tallman of Orleans, New York, before and after her marriage to Jerome Bushnell.
The album, which was published by R. P. Bixby and Company of New York, New York, in 1843, measures approximately 7-3/4" by 6". It contains the sentiments of about 34 people, several of whom inscribed two pages. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
The first page of writing in the album, which was presumably inscribed by Hannah herself:
From brief online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions requested!]
According to an online genealogy of the Bushnell family, unsourced, Hannah Maria Tallman was born July 6, 1832 at Schuyler, New York, the daughter of John and Phoebe (Mather or Mathers) Tallman. Hannah had, I think, 5 siblings.
On October 21, 1851, Hannah married Jerome Bushnell, son of Loren and Sophronia (Peck) Bushnell. Jerome inscribed two pages in Hannah's album before their marriage.
The S. Bushnell who inscribed a page at LaFargeville, a village in Orleans, New York, in 1849 may have been Jerome's sister Sophia Bushnell.
Hannah and Jerome had at least one child, a daughter Jennete, born November 24, 1852 at LaFargeville, New York. Jennete married Charles Schwartz. Jerome died in 1904, and Hannah in 1932, a few months before her 100th birthday.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the inscribers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Surnames in the Album
|? ||E||Elmer ||S||Sawyer |
|B||B ? ||K||Knight||Simmons|
|Bushnell ||M||Matteson ||Sylvester|
Inscribers in the Album - Given names within a specific surname might not be in alphabetical order.
- C. M. ?, inscribed at La Fargeville, New York, on May 5, 1853; inscribed to Mrs. Bushnell. Surname possibly Plumb; also inscribed another page.
- Eliza J. Avery of Perch River, New York; she inscribed two pages.
- Nancy Barden or Nancy Borden; not sure of given name.
- Laura B?, possibly Barden, inscribed at Le Roy, New York in 1849
- V. A. Baker, Stranger, inscribed at Watertown, New York, in 1857 [or 1851]
- S. Bushnell, inscribed at La Fargeville, New York, in 1849. Perhaps Sophia Bushnell, sister of Hannah's husband Jerome Bushnell
- Jerome Bushnell, inscribed at La Fargeville, New York on January 17, 1849. Hannah's future husband. He inscribed another page at La Fargeville, New York in 1849.
- Erwin S. Colley or Colby
- E. S. Collins, inscribed at Stone Mills, New York
- A. J. Davis
- R. U. Dillenback, inscribed at La Fargeville, New York. Perhaps Regina U. Dillenback
- Elvira L. Drake, inscribed at La Fargeville, New York in 1849
- Celestia Elmer
- Asahel Elmer
- MaLou Howell
- Joshua A. Knight, inscribed at La Fargeville, New York in January 1849
- Gerviah A. Lamson, inscribed at La Fargeville, New York
- Adaliza Matteson; friend
- E. M. Matteson
- E. F. Matteson
- Miss Harriet H. Mitchell of Stone Mills, New York, inscribed on November 8, 1849
- 2-page sentiment by Laura Pearsons of La Fargeville, New York
- E. Ramsdill of La Fargeville, New York
- Edwin Ramsdill, whose handwriting looks very similar to that of the E. Ramsdill who inscribed a page at La Fargeville, New York
- H. L. Richardson
- Ann M. Sawyer
- Ellen A. Sawyer
- Libbie Shepherd, inscribed at Watertown, New York, on June 20, 1855
- Minerva Simmons, inscribed at La Fargeville, New York, on July 24, 1849
- Harriet E. Smith of Orleans, New York
- Lucy Sylvester, inscribed at Clayton, New York
- Hannah Maria Tallman of Orleans, New York; album owner
- Lewis A. Wickey or Wickes or Wicker or Wickey; given name could be Louisa; inscribed at La Fargeville, New York, in 1849. There was a Rev. Lewis A. Wickey, and this page looks as though it could have been written by a minister.