1880s autograph album of John Ellis Budd of Youngstown, Ohio, kept while he was a student at Prairieton College.
The album is approximately 5-1/2" x 3-1/4" and contains the sentiments of 51 of John's relatives, friends and schoolmates. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
John Ellis Budd was born 12 March 1867 at Honey Creek Township or Youngstown, Indiana, the son of William Adam Budd and Missouri Emily (Jones) Budd, who were born in Kentucky and Indiana respectively. John had, I think, six older siblings, one of whom, William Theodore Budd was presumably the W. T. Budd who signed a page in John's album at Terre Haute, Indiana, on February 17, 1885.
On 24 March 1895 in Clay County, Indiana, John Ellis Budd married Della Tibbetts, daughter of James Orpheus Tibbetts and Josephine (Gardiner) Tibbetts. Della was born about November 1873 in Indiana. The couple had at least two children, sons Homer Ellis Budd and Ralph Walter Budd. John worked as a ticket agent for a railroad and as a telegraph operator. He died in 1917.
Two pages were signed in a later era, one by a Ralph, perhaps Ralph W. Budd, and the other by John's granddaughter in 1936, inscribed to her long since deceased grandfather. The album was purchased online and came with a note from that granddaughter.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Among the interesting pages in the album was this one, inscribed at Commercial College by Will S. Davis, though I'm not sure of his surname. He attached his photograph to the page.
Another was the page sketched by William H. Kruzan at Prairieton, Indiana, on January 10, 1884, followed by another page signed on the same date.
Surnames in the album
Signers in the album: [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Josie, signed at Youngstown, Indiana, on December 28, 1883
- "Duke", signed at Pimento, Indiana, on May 2, 1887
- N. E. H. signed at Pimento, Indiana, on May 25, 1887
- S. S. B., signed at Youngstown, Indiana, on January 6, 1885; schoolmate
- Amy, signed in September 1895; called herself John's sister
- Steve P. signed at Terre Haute, Indiana, on December 23, 1884
- Tenie, signed at Youngstown, Indiana, on March 17, 1884
- Fred Balston of Terre Haute, Indiana, 542 North 4th
- Della Bentley, signed at Prairieton College on January 28, 1884
- Jacob Bernheimer, signed at Terre Haute, Indiana, on January 8, 1885
- Lincoln Bogard, signed at Youngstown, Indiana, on January 8, 1884
- John E. Budd of Youngstown, Indiana; John Ellis Budd, album owner
- W. T. Budd, signed at Terre Haute, Indiana, on February 17, 1885; presumably John's older brother William Theodore Budd
- From Ralph, to Grand Mother; perhaps John's son Ralph W. Budd
- Signed in a later era by John's granddaughter Charlotte Dale Budd, on March 6, 1928
- John H. Chapman of Terre Haute, Indiana, 214 North 42?
- H. P. Collings of Rockville, Indiana, signed on October 14, 1885
- Will S. Davis, signed at Commercial College; not sure of surname; his photograph is pasted on the page.
- Mary Drake, signed at Prairieton College, on January 29, 1884
- William Eichelberger
- Emma Haynes, signed at Prairieton, Indiana, on January 8, 1884
- Alice Hess
- Joseph Hickman, signed on January 2, 1884; schoolmate
- Deborah F. Hull, signed March 12, 1884; mentions Jamestown College.
- Harry Infange, signed on January 8, 1884
- Lizzie Infange, signed at Prairieton School on January 25, 1884
- Rodisa Jones of Terre Haute, Indiana, on January 4, 1884
- Etta Kennett, signed at Pimento, Indiana, in May 1887
- Robert F. Kidd of Terre Haute, Indiana, signed on January 28, 1884
- William H. Kruzan, penman, signed at Prairieton, Indiana, on January 10, 1884; he drew a design on this page and and also signed the next page.
- S. G. Lease, signed on "1/6/85"; mentions Myers Bros.
- Sadie C. McCoskey, signed on January 11, 1884
- Jettie E. McCoskey, signed on January 3, 1884; John's cousin
- Emil Myers
- John F. O'Reilly
- Emma Roberts, signed at Prairieton, Indiana, on January 11, 1884
- Miss Sue Rubsch of Terre Haute, Indiana
- Claude Ryman, signed at Prairieton, Indiana, on January 9, 1884
- Etta Slocum, signed at Commercial College at Terre Haute, Indiana, on November 20, 1885
- Shorty Strause
- Doris Turner, or Darius Turner, signed on December 26, 1884
- Mary E. Vancleave, signed on January 3, 1884
- Budd Vancleave, signed on January 2, 1884
- G. W. Vancleave, signed at Budd School on January 2, 1884; John's schoolmate
- Charlie Volkers, signed at Prairieton College on February 15, 1884
- Selma K. Wagner, signed at Terre Haute, Indiana, on October 16, 1885
- E. Ruth Wagner, signed on October 12, 1885
- Edith R. Wagner
- Eugenia Wagner, signed on October 16, 1885
- Millie Whitlock, signed at the Prairieton School on January 30, 1884
- Walter J. Wible, signed at Prairieton, Indiana, on January 31, 1884
- Jennie Wright, signed at Prairieton College, on January 24, 1884