1889-1917 autograph album that belonged to Irma Rebecca Peeler of Mason City, Iowa. Only one inscription is out of the 1889-1890s era, and that's on the inside front cover, dated December 2, 1917 and addressed to Irma by her married name of Mrs. Peeler.
The album was presented to Irma by her mother Viola Sophia (Pynchon or Pychon) Barrie on December 25, 1889.
The album measures approximately 6" x 3-1/2" and contains the sentiments of about 50 of Irma's relatives, friends, schoolmates and pastor. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the signers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Irma Rebecca Barrie was born at New Hampson, Iowa, on June 7, 1874, the daughter of Orlo Goodrich Barrie and Viola Sophia (Pynchon or Pychon) Barrie, both of whom inscribed pages in the album. Orlo dated his page January 1, 1890; Viola inscribed her page the same day that she gave it to Irma, December 25, 1889, at Mason City, Iowa.
Irma's sister younger sister Annie Barrie inscribed numerous pages in the album, i.e.
On July 17, 1892 at Mason City, Iowa, Irma Rebecca Barrie married John Franklin Peeler, son of Abner Charles Peeler, Jr., and Rachel (Adams) Peeler. John's half-sister Gertie Peeler inscribed a page in Irma's album in August 1890 at Lehigh, Iowa.
Irma and John moved, at some point, to the Hood River, Oregon area. They had, I believe, three children, daughters Edith Adele Peeler; Grace Luella Peeler; and Eldon Franklin Peeler. John died in 1931, and Irma in 1934.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Pastor Joel Brown inscribed a page at Lehigh, Iowa, on September 19, 1890.
Surnames in the album
Signers in the album [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Maud, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on January 7, 1890
- F.S.U. or F.S. A.
- Allie, signed on March 16, 1890
- Myra, signed at Lehigh, Iowa, on September 22, 1890
- Ida A. Adams, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on April 19, 1890
- Carrie Anderson, signed at Fort Dodge, Iowa, on August 21, 1890; quilting bee
- Wilson Andrews, signed at Lehigh, Iowa, on September 19, 1890
- Lizzie, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on February 6, 1890. Surname might be Brickle or ?
- Unsigned but directed to Mrs. Peeler, dated December 2, 1917; referring to album owner Irma Rebecca (Barrie) Peeler
- Mama; presented the album to Irma Rebecca Barrie on December 25, 1889. She was Viola Sophia (Pynchon) Barrie. She inscribed another page in the album, also on December 25, 1889.
- Anna Barrie, signed in 1892; Irma's younger sister. She signed additional pages as well.
- Orlo G. Barrie, signed on January 1, 1890; Irma's father Orlo Goodrich Barrie
- H. Belding, or J. C. Belding, signed in April 1890
- Gertie Black, signed at or from Pittsford, Michigan, on February 23, 1890; Irma's cousin
- Anna Brooks, signed on April 24, 1892
- Rev. Joel Brown, signed at Lehigh, Iowa, on September 19, 1890
- Etta Clark, signed on January 13, 1890
- Anna L. Deering, signed on January 15, 1890
- Janet Duncan, signed on January 29, 1890
- Bonnie Grace May Elder, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on January 9, 1890
- Mary Hanson of Rudd, Iowa, signed on January 8, 1890
- Earl Hawkes, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on April 8, 1890; not sure of surname
- Julia Johnson, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on January 9, 1890; Irma's classmate
- Minnie Kehm, signed on January 9, 1890; not sure of surname
- Gertie Kisner, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on April 6, 1890; schoolmate
- Zelda Landers, signed Julia Johnson, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on January 9, 1890; Irma's classmateat or from Harrison, Michigan, in Clare County, on April 13, 1890; Irma's cousin
- Nettie Mann, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on December 26, 1889
- Maggie M. Mann, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on April 17 1890
- Leota Marsh, signed at Lehigh, Iowa, on November 17, 1890
- Alma Marsh, signed at Lehigh, Iowa, on November 17, 1890
- Hattie Moore, signed on January 10, 1890
- Julia O'Brien; Season La Grippe
- L. A. Oliver, signed on February 2, 1890
- Gertie Peeler of Lehigh, Iowa, signed in August 1890. Sister of Irma's future husband John Franklin Peeler.
- Inside back cover: notes marriage of July 17, 1892 of Irma R. Barrie and J. F. Peeler: John Franklin Peeler
- Nettie Rampton, signed on January 27, 1890
- Elna E. Russell
- Eunice Russell, signed on January 8, 1889
- M. E. Russell, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on February 8, 1890
- Sarah Sage, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on January 31, 1890; middle initial might be J or I
- Mr. and Mrs. H. Scholl, signed on "2/9/1890"; not sure of surname, as it's obstructed by a design one of them did.
- Louisa Luella Steele, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on January 31, 1890
- J. T. of Mason City, Iowa
- Josie Thompson, signed on March 18, 1890 at Mason City, Iowa; Irma's schoolmate. Mentions St. Patrick's Day
- Mary Umphrey of Mason City, Iowa, signed on January 25, 1890
- Edna Waughtal, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on April 8, 1890; W.C.H.S.
- Tola Whitney, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on December 3, 1890. Presumably Capitola Whitney
- William Wilcox, signed at Mason City, Iowa, on January 21, 1890
- Carrie Wilson, signed on December 26, 1889
- Lucy Woodworth, signed on June 7, 1890 at Lehigh, Iowa
- Lucy Wood, signed on Monday, January 6, 1890
- George E. Woodworth, signed at Lehigh, Iowa, on June 27, 1890
Mason City, Iowa
Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment