Obituary of Elizabeth Catharine (Sargent) Rittenour, wife of George Claypool Rittenour. Elizabeth died at the home of her son Henry Francis Rittenour at 171 South Paint Street, Chillicothe, Ohio.
Transcription at the end of this post.
The obituary was found tucked in the Bible that she and husband George maintained, with entries including:
- George's parents, Jacob and Ann (Claypool) Rittenour
- George and Elizabeth Catharine [as her middle name was spelled in the Bible] Rittenour
- George's four siblings and their children
- The three children of George and Elizabeth Rittenour; grandchildren and great grandchild, Everett Francis Rittenour
- Several people related by marriage
- A four-page genealogy of the Rittenour family, mostly a mirror image of what is included in the Bible
- Several mementos, including a piece handmade by Everett Francis Rittenour for his mother Eliza Alice (DuBois) Rittenour, which is featured in another post.
Elizabeth Catherine Rittenour, wife of George C. Rittenour, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thornton W. Sargent, was born in Pike county, November 1, 1832, and died at the residence of her son Frank Rittenour, 171 South Paint street, this city at 7:45 p. m. Saturday, July 29, of Bright's disease.
She is survived by three sons, Thornton S. Rittenour, of Piketon; Frank Rittenour, of Chillicothe, and James M. Rittenour, of Jefferson township. Her husband and one sister, Miss Harriet Sargent, of this city also survives. She was united in marriage to George C. Rittenour, September 1, 1857, and spent her married life at the Rittenour home near Richmond Dale.
The remains were taken to the Rittenour home in Jefferson township this morning and the funeral will be held from there at 1 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. The interment will be in Jefferson Township cemetery.
Friends desiring to attend the services at the home may take the C., H. & D. train, leaving the city at 10:55 a. m., and returning at 2:25 p. m. The train will stop at the Rittenour crossing.
If you have information to share on the Rittenour or Sargent families, please leave a comment or contact me directly.