1859-1887 autograph album kept by Mary C. Eaverson (1842-1916) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Mary would marry one of the inscribers, Lorenzo F. Davis (1835-1903).
The album, published by Riker, Thorne & Company and printed by Ackerman Lith., measures approximately 9-1/2" by 7-1/2 and contains the sentiments of 50 of Mary's relatives and friends, as well as six full page hand-colored engravings of birds and flowers [shown at the end of the post]. This would have been a treasured gift.
An alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appears at the end of this post.
Surnames in the Album
- Bart, Lancaster County
- Duncannon, Pennsylvania
- Georgetown Mills or Hills
- Pleasant Valley
- Sunbeam Seminary
- Sycamore Glen
- Valey, Valery or Valley Home
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested
Mary C. Eavenson was born in 1842, the daughter of Jones Eavenson and Emily (Valentine) Eavenson, Quakers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Mary's father and his third wife Phebe inscribed a page in the album on the 6th day of the second month 1883. Sadly, Jones Eavenson would die the next month.
It appears that Mary and her husband Lorenzo F. Davis made their home in Philadelphia. Their marriage year is given as 1868 in A genealogical record of the descendants of John and Mary Palmer of Concord, Chester (now Delaware). Lorenzo wrote his name in two places in the album, one on an individual page at Philadelphia on the 19th day of the first month of 1883 and again on the 24th day of the 4th month of 1887 on a page shared with Aldes L. Ash.
Many of Mary's relatives inscribed pages in the album, some with the surname Eavenson and some from surnames that married into the Eavenson family.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the people mentioned in the list below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
As I was going through, it became evident that the owner was Mary C. Eavenson, but it helped that Aldes L. Ash created an Acrostic of Mary's name in 1864 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Interestingly, many online trees have Mary's middle initial as E, so Aldes' inscription is especially important.
Inscribers in the Album
- "Thy Cousin Sallie"; inscribed to Mollie, which was presumably the nickname of album owner Mary C. Eavenson (1842-1916)
- Maggie; inscribed at Pleasant Valley on September 12, 1858
- Mary; album owner Mary C. Eavenson's cousin
- Leonardo; inscribed on April 12, 1862
- Augustus Alford; inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on September 18, 1876
- C. Jennie Alford; inscribed on September 30, 1876
- Carrie Alford; inscribed on September 23, 1876; perhaps Caroline T. (Brooks) Alford, wife of Augustus Alford
- Aldes L. Ash, inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on January 31, 1864; he made an acrostic of the name of the album owner, Mary C. Eaverson
- Aldes L. Ash; his inscription on a page of 10 little boxes with only his name and that of Lorenzo F. Davis, who dated his signature on the 24th day of the 4th month of 1887
- Mary Baxter; inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on April 12, 1862
- Joseph E. Borden; inscribed at Christmas in 1879
- Anna E. Branyan; inscribed at Duncannon, Pennsylvania
- E. Bushong; inscribed at Valey or Valery Home on January 20, 1859
- E. K. Bushong; inscribed on January 16, 1859. Presumably Edith Kinsey (Paxson) Bushong (1836-1914), wife of Gilbert Bushong (1836-1911), who inscribed the following page.
- Gilbert Bushong; inscribed at Eden on January 16, 1859. Presumably Gilbert Bushong (1836-1911). The E. K. Bushong who inscribed the previous page was presumably Gilbert's wife Edith Kinsey (Paxson) Bushong (1836-1914)
- Sue R. Cooper; inscribed at Georgetown Hills or Mills on March 19, 1859
- Lorenzo F. Davis; inscribed on the 24th day of the 4th month of 1887; his inscription on a page of 10 little boxes with only his name and that of Aldes L. Ash
- Lorenzo F. Davis; inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on the 19th day of the 1st month of 1883
- Emilie DuBree; inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on July 12, 1875. Perhaps Emily DuBree (1850-1876), sister of Nathan E. DuBree, who was married to Lydia A. (Eavenson) Dubree, sister of album owner Mary C. Eavenson
- Lydia A. DuBree; inscribed in the second month, 6th day of 1883. She was Lydia Ann (Eavenson) DuBree (1828-1883), wife of Nathan E. DuBree and sister of album owner Mary C. Eavenson (1842-1916)
- Benjamin Eavenson; inscribed at Moscow, on November 15, 1858. Perhaps Mary C. Eavenson's older brother Benjamin Eavenson (1831-1918) or her uncle Benjamin Eavenson (1808-1883)
- Emily V. Eavenson, "Thy Niece"; inscribed at Bart, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, on April 18, 1879. Perhaps Emily, daughter of Hanna W. (Cooper) Eavenson and Reese Eavenson, who was a brother to album owner Mary C. Eavenson
- Hanna W. Eaverson; inscribed on March 19, 1859. Presumably Hanna W. (Cooper) Eavenson, wife of Reese Eavenson, brother to album owner Mary C. Eavenson
- Jones Eavenson and Phebe M. Eavenson; inscribed on the 6th day of the 2nd month in 1883. They were album owner Mary C. Eavenson's father Jones Eavenson (1804-1883) and his third wife Phebe (Massey) Eavenson (1839-1916). Jones Eavenson would die a month or so later on 15 March 1883. How nice that Mary would have this memento.
- Martha Eavenson; inscribed at Moscow on November 26, 1858; perhaps Martha Ellen (Ash) Eavenson, wife of Mary's brother Albin T. Eavenson
- Marvin M. Eavenson; inscribed to "Sister Mary" at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on Maech 24, 1872. He was Marvin Meeker Eavenson (1845-1926), whose wife Mary (Eachus) Eavenson inscribed the right facing page. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/53342385/marvin-eavenson
- Mary Eavenson; inscribed in the 12th month of 1858 [or 1859]. Perhaps Mary (possibly Valentine) Eavenson (1807-1897), who was the wife of inscriber Benjamin Eavenson (1808-1883), paternal uncle of album owner Mary C. Eaverson (1842-1916). https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/147831624/mary-eavenson
- May E. Eavenson; inscribed on March 24, 1872. She was May (Eachus) Eavenson (1846-1922), whose husband Marvin Meeker Eavenson inscribed the left facing page. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/84643930/mary-eavenson
- Reese Eavenson; inscribed on December 20, 1859; brother of album owner Mary C. Eavenson
- William Eavenson, "Your Nephew"; inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on July 18, 1875. Perhaps William Eavenson (1856-1909), the son of Mary C. Eavenson's brother Benjamin Eavenson (1831-1918) and Martha (Gibbs) Eavenson (1839-1898)
- M. L. Finney; inscribed at Christianna, presumably Christiana, Pennsylvnia
- S. D. Finney; inscribed at Christianna on March 28, 1859; presumably Christiana, Pennsylvania
- W. B. Finney; inscribed at Christianna on March 29, 1859; presumably Christiana, Pennsylvania
- Will O. Gilbert; inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on November 28, 1879
- Tillie Hathaway; inscribed at Pleasant Valley on September 22, 1858
- Annie Holland
- Lydia Lincoln; inscribed at Sunbeam Seminary on November 8, 1858.
- Ruth Ann Lincoln; inscribed at Moscow on November 6, 1858
- Sallie J. Lincoln; inscribed in Moscow on November 7, 1858
- Levi W. Moore; inscribed on October 17, 1858
- Phebe A. Moore; inscribed on October 17, 1858
- R. A. Moore; inscribed on the 21st day of the 8th month of 1858
- Lizzie L. Paxson
- Mary Jane Paxson
- William L. Paxson; inscribed on the 2nd day of the 11th month of 1858. Perhaps William Longstreth Paxson (1817-1884)
- H. F. Seeley; inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on October 29, 1879
- Mary Thomas; cousin; inscribed on 5.1.1887
- Mary L. Valentine; inscribed at Sycamore Glen on January 20, 1861
- Rachel H. Valentine; inscribed in the 2nd day of the 1st month of 1859
- Rebecca Valentine; inscribed at Sycamore Glen on October 26, 1860
- Clara B. Warren; inscribed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on January 14, 1880
- S. E. Warren
- J. L. Williams; inscribed on July 30, 1877
Post a Comment