1880s autograph album that belonged to Warren Thornton Hohenshell of Munster, Illinois; with several inscriptions by his daughter Jean Sara Hohenshell in the 1890s and 1900.
Warren wrote his name on an end paper and penned a page of welcome to his inscribers.
The album measures approximately 6" by 3-3/4" and contains the sentiments of about 20 of Warren's friends and daughter. An alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appears at the end of this post.
Surnames in the Album
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested:
Warren Thornton Hohenshell was born on May 3, 1858 in Indiana, the son of George W. Hohenshell and Elizabeth (Coan) Hohenshell. Warren married Iowa native Ida Mary Eliza Heald about 1888, according to the information in the 1900 Census of Elsinore, California. Warren and Ida made their home at Elsinore and later in Merced County, where they farmed. Warren reportedly pioneered the almond industry in his area. I found a newspaper article about an explosion at his almond distillery that resulted in severe burns to Warren and another man.
Warren also worked as a photographer at Merced, California, from 19105-1910 and sold Studebakers. The couple had at least one child, daughter Jean Sarah Hohenshell, who inscribed several pages in the album, including the one below, inscribed on March 4, 1900.
By 1938, Warren and Ida had moved to Pasadena, California. Warren died in 1940 and Ida in 1943. If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
California Death Index, 1940-1997
California Great Registers, 1866-1910
U.S. Frederal Censuses
Links in the text
Inscribers in the Album
- ?; inscribed on April 25, 1882 at Wenona, Illinois; sketched a portly gentleman with cane and expression "Ver'ish Dot Tem Dorg". Possibly H. Parrett Del. There was a Parrett family living at Wenona, Illinois, during this time frame
- Anonymous friend
- J. P. Belford; inscribed at Munster, Illinois
- J. P. Coan of 4,6 & 8 Lake Street, Chicago, Illinois; inscribed on May 22, 1882. Presumably related by blood or marriage to Warren's mother, Elizabeth (Coan) Hohenshell.
- Mary Coan of Indiana, possibly Xenia, Indiana; inscribed on September 27, 1881. Presumably related by blood or marriage to Warren's mother, Elizabeth (Coan) Hohenshell
- Mame Cosse; inscribed at Munster, Illinois, on June 19, 1882
- Mattie Cossel; inscribed at Munster, Illinois on June 18, 1882
- M. ? Craft; inscribed at Streator, Illinois, on May 30, 1883. Middle initial might be K. If so, perhaps Martin K. Craft
- Anna L. Gibson; inscribed at Streator, Illinois, on December 17; no year written
- C. S. Gibson; inscribed on 9/11/83
- C. A. Hepler; inscribed at Munster, Illinois, on August 30, 1882. Warren's cousin, either Charlotte A. Hepler or Christopher A. Hepler, child of Christopher Columbus Hepler and Mary Ann (Hohenshell) Hepler, who was a sister to Warren's father George W. Hohenshell.
- Keziah A. Hepler; inscribd on September 2, 1882. Keziah Adeline Hepler, daughter of Christopher Columbus Hepler and Mary Ann (Hohenshell) Hepler, who was a sister to Warren's father George W. Hohenshell.
- Dora Hindman; inscribed at Streator, Illinois, on September 29, 1883
- W. T. Hohenshell of Munster, Illinois. Album owne Warren Thornton Hohenshell, who penned his name on an ownership page and inscribed a dedication page.
- Jean Hohenshell; inscribed on March 4, 1900. She was Jean Sara Hohenshell, daughter of album owner Warren Thornton Hohenshell.
- Jean Hohenshell, 7 years old, Elsinore, California. Jean Sara Hohenshell, daughter of album owner Warren Thornton Hohenshell
- Jean Sara Hohenshell, though she did not sign her name. Daughter of album owner Warren Thornton Hohenshell.
- G. B. Koontz; inscribed at Munster, Illinois, on September 19, 1881. Not sure of first initial
- ? McDermott; possibly Mary McDermott; inscribed at Munster, Illinois, on August 27, 1881
- William Merritt; inscribed at Glidden, Iowa, on December 26, 1882
- Thomas S. Morgan of Streator, Illinois; inscribed on October 17, 1881
- Dell Reeder; inscribed at Streator, Illinois, on April 2, 1884
- Allie Tombaugh of Odell, Illinois; inscribed at Munster, Illinois, on June 26, 1883
- Charles Wise of Wenona, Illinois; inscribed on March 28, 1886