1880s autograph album that belonged to Elizabeth Streib or Strieb, "Lizzie", of Leona, Kansas, with one inscription added in 1907 by her son John Franklin Brant.
The Streib name appears in several variations, including Strieb, Striepe and Stripe.
The album measures approximately 6-1/4" by 3-3/4" and contains the sentiments of 28 of Lizzie's relatives and friends. An alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appears at the end of this post.
Surnames in the Album
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested:
Elizabeth Strieb, Lizzie", was born in Indiana in 1862, the daughter of George and Katherine Elisabetha (Stadler) Streib. Lizzie's sister Mary C. (Streip) Roth and her husband John C. Roth inscribed pages in Lizzie's album. Mary's page:
Lizzie's brother, who spelled his name as Jacob Striepe, and his wife Hannah Savilla (Maurer) Striepe inscribed pages. Jacob's page:
On March 9, 1886 at Highland, Kansas, Lizzie, recorded as Elizabeth Stripe, married Walter Robert Brant. Walter inscribed a page in Lizzie's album in 1885. Walter's sister Addie and her future husband Frederick L. Pierce also inscribed pages. Walter's page:
Lizzie and Walter had, I believe, four children, one of whom died young and one of whom, John Franklin Brant, inscribed a page in his mother's album in 1907, when it apparently came to light years later.
Walter died in 1898 and Lizzie in 1925. They're buried with their young son George in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery at Leona, Kansas.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the inscribers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Kansas County Marriages, 1840-1935 - Lizzie's marriage
U.S. Federal Censuses
Inscribers in the Album
- Jennie Billings of Leona, Kansas; inscribed on March 28, 1888
- Davis F. Bottiger
- Addie Brant of Highland, Kansas, inscribed on May 3, 1886. Her future husband, Frederick L. Pierce, whom she married in 1893, also inscribed a page in the album. Adeline (Brant) Pierce was a sister to Lizzie's husband Walter Robert Brant.
- Jno. F. Brant; inscribed on January 25, 1907. Lizzie's son John Franklin Brant
- W. R. Brant of Highland, Kansas; inscribed on December 4, 1885. Lizzie's future husband Walter Robert Brant, whom she married on March 9, 1886 at Highland, Kansas
- A. L. Cole; inscribed on September 26, 1884
- Mary Fritzinger; inscribed on September 26, 1884
- Thomas Harper; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on March 23, 1884
- Mrs. J. H. Hicks of Robinson, Kansas; inscribed on June 29, 1885
- Frances E. Katner of Doniphan, Kansas; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on March 16, 1884
- Mary Kelso; inscribed at Leona, Kansas
- Alice Kimmel; inscribed on March 27, 1884 at Leona, Kansas
- George Kimmel; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on March 27, 1884
- Jeremiah Kimmel of Leona, Kansas, inscribed on April 1, 1884
- Mary A. Kimmel; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on March 27, 1884
- Alice Klingler; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on October 13, 1884
- Mary Morley of Sterling, Kansas; inscribed on December 5, 1885
- Fred L. Pierce; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on February 19, 1893. Lizzie's sister-in-law. He was the husband of inscriber Adeline (Brant) Pierce, who was a sister to Lizzie's husband Walter Robert Brant, and who inscribed a page before their marriage.
- John C. Roth; Lizzie's brother-in-law, husband of inscriber Mary (Strieb or Stripe) Roth, a sister to album owner Lizzie
- Mary C. Roth; inscribed on February 21, 1884. Lizzie's sister. She was Mary C. (Strieb or Stripe) Roth, wife of inscriber John C. Roth.
- Jennie Ruhl; inscribed on February 3, 1884
- H. M. Schock; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on March 23, 1884. Hester Mariah (Cherry) Schock, wife of inscriber Jacob W. Schock [or Schoch]
- J. W. Schock; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on March 23, 1884. Jacob W. Schock [Schoch], husband of inscriber Hester Mariah (Cherry) Schock
- Irvin Stapleton; inscribed on March 27, 1884
- Lizzie Strieb of Leona, Kansas; album owner
- Hattie S. Striepe of Doniphan County, Kansas; inscribed on November 23, 1884. Harriet Savilla (Maurer), wife of inscriber Jacob Striepe, who was a brother to album owner Lizzie
- Jacob Striepe; inscribed on October 28, 1884. Brother of album owner Lizzie and husband of inscriber Hattie Savilla (Maurer) Striepe
- Ida F. Williams; inscribed on August 27, or 21, 1885
- Rev. C. E. Williams of Robinson, Kansas; inscribed at Leona, Kansas, on August 21, 1885
Post a Comment