Autograph album presented to William J. Matthews of North Searsport, Maine, for his years of work as the Sunday School Superintendent, by the Teachers and Scholars of North Searsport, Maine, on Christmas Day 1884.
From online research, hopefully correct:
William Janes Matthews was born 9 February 1841 in Maine, the son of Walter and Martha (Dodge) Matthews, who were born in Maine and New Hampshire respectively.
His paternal grandparents were Joseph and Elizabeth (Black) Matthews. His maternal grandparents were Ananiah and Elizabeth (Janes) Dodge.
On 29 December 1864 at Searsport, Maine, William Janes Matthews married Eliza G. Merithew. She was born 5 April 1842 in Maine, the daughter of Benjamin W. and Theodate (Stevens) Merithew.
William and Eliza farmed and raised a family of at least five children at North Searsport, Maine.
- Benjamin Walter Matthews, born about 1867; died 9 February 1882
- Theodate "Datie" Beals Matthews, born 26 March 1869 at Searsport, Maine; m. Dr. Charles Everett Hills
- Edwards Adams Matthews, born 17 April 1876 in Maine; m. Minnie Olive Hills
- Martha Janes Matthews, born 4 March 1879 in Maine; married Ernest Ray Nickerson
- Eliza Winifred Matthews, born 1 March 1883 in Maine; m. Fred E. Stinson