Note of February 7, 2016: A reader has provided a link to a website with information on the family of concrete contractor Louis Wicker, husband of Lizzie (Rowe) Wicker, and a photograph of the L. R. Wicker Company's stamp set in concrete. See more in the comments section.
Photograph of a 28 year old Lizzie Wicker; photo taken by the J. Smith Photograph and Tintype Gallery at 1716 Seventh Street, West Oakland, California.
From online research, hopefully correct: [with gratitude for the help of online friends]
I found several possibilities for a Lizzie Rowe from Maine, born about 1859 and hope that a reader will come forth with the correct identification.
According to the 1900 Census, Lizzie Wicker was born Lizzie Rowe in Maine about August 1859.
An online family tree, which may or may not be entirely sourced, has Lizzie born at Georgetown, Maine, on October 26, 1857, the daughter of John and Mary Ann (Harford) Rowe. If this Lizzie is the Lizzie in the photograph, perhaps the discrepancy in the month of her birth resulted from the tree owner's using Lizzie's baptism date as her birth date.
One of the Georgetown Lizzie's brothers, Edward Rowe, had moved to California by 1880; perhaps Lizzie had gone with him or had visited him after he was settled. This tree has Lizzie marrying Louis Rogers Wicker in California on April 2, 1878.
Louis Rogers Wicker was born at Buffalo, New York, about January 1858. The online tree noted above names Louis' parents as Daniel Wright Wicker and Harriet (Compton) Wicker.
Children of Louis Rogers Wicker and Lizzie (Rowe) Wicker:
- Frank C. Wicker; born September 1879; m. Florence Ellen Adella Johnson; died 12 June 1931
- Hattie May Wicker, born 6 November 1880 in California; m. Alfred Wallace; died 19 January 1954
- Maud E. Wicker, born 16 September 1882 in California; m. William Sheldon; died 25 November 1946
- Kate E. Wicker, born August 1891 in California; died sometime between 1920-1925
- Murle Rowe Wicker, born 11 January 1899; died 7 October 1943 in Alameda County, California. He was unmarried in the 1920 and 1930 Censuses and at the time of his 1942 World War II enlistment record, so perhaps he never married