1883-1920 autograph album that belonged to Mary Ellen Barry of Wallingford, Connecticut, with sentiments collected before and after her marriage to Nicholas L. Sutton.
Mary Ellen, who was known as Mamie to some of the signers, signed one of the first pages before her marriage and signed the inside back cover, upside down, after her marriage. She then included her address, 167 South Colony Street, Wallingford, Connecticut [see street view at end of this post]. I don't have the date of death of Mary's mother, Mary (Foley) Barry, but it's possible that the top image was signed by Mary's mother Mary (Foley, I think) Barry, rather than by Mary Ellen Barry herself.
The album is approximately 5-1/2" x 3-1/4" and contains the sentiments of 35 of Mary Ellen's relatives and friends, some of whom signed multiple pages. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Mary Ellen Barry was born about 1861 in Connecticut, the daughter, I believe, of Irish immigrants James and Mary (Foley) Barry. James Barry signed two pages in his daughter's album on December 17, 1887.
I believe Mary Ellen had six siblings. Her older sister Johanna Barry of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed a page on December 25, 1884.
I believe it was Mary Ellen's brother James who signed as James E. Barry of Wallingford, Connecticut, who signed a page on May 8, 1881 and apparently revisited the page on December 9, 1883.
Other relatives signed pages as well; refer to the list of signers below.
About 1886, Mary Ellen Barry married Nicholas L. Sutton, who was born about 1862 in Ireland, the Irish Free State as noted in one of the Censuses. Mary Ellen and Nicholas had at least six children, and it appears that they brought up several nieces and nephews as well.
Several of the children and niece Loretta Quinn signed multiple pages. Daughter Mary Sutton, "Mae", signed pages on December 5, 1897 and September 3, 1905.
Daughter Katherine E. Sutton signed two pages, one of them in 1905.
Son Joseph Sutton signed a page.
Son James Sutton of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed a page on December 5, 1897.
Niece Loretta Quinn, who lived with the family, signed several pages.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Surnames in the album: [Some appear multiple times.]
Kavanough or Kavanaugh
Signers in the album [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Jack S? of Oyster, Bay, New York; possibly Soxsick or Loxsick?; shared a page with Daniel Sullivan, who mentioned Phi Epsilon Phi Fraternity, Troy, New York, and Long Lake, New York
- J. M. R., signed on July 22, 1884, at Birmingham, Connecticut. There was another person in the album who gave a residence of Birmingham, Connecticut; that person was B. T. Roche. Perhaps this was J. M. Roche?
- Mary Ellen Barry of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on December 9, 1883. She also signed the inside back cover as Mrs. N. L. Sutton and gave her address in Wallingford, Connecticut.
- Johanna Barry of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on December 25, 1884. Mary's sister
- Claire Barry; she signed other pages as well.
- Katherine R. Barry of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on January 23, 1920; Mary's niece, presumably the daughter of Mary's brother Maurice J. Barry and his wife Mary.
- James Barry, signed on December 17, 1887. Mary's father, who signed two pages in her album.
- James E. Barry of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on December 9, 1883; presumably Mary's brother
- Huldah V. Brown of Trappe, Maryland, in Talbot County, on October 22, 1881
- Katie Fitz Callaghan, signed on December 2, 1881
- Nellie J. Callahan of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on December 17 [no year written]; Mary's cousin
- Nellie E. Curran of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on December 17, 1882
- Mary A. Earley, signed on May 21, 1885
- Emma A. Edel, signed at Wallingford, Connecticut on October 28, 1881
- Maggie FitzGerald, signed on July 21, 1884
- Mary J. Francis, signed on March 5, 1882
- Mary E. Gibbons, signed at Wallingford, Connecticut, on October 26, 1881
- Philip Hine, 484 #7 Avenue, South Brooklyn, New York, signed on July 10, 1884
- Annie J. Huldie, signed on 15 August 1882
- Jennie Kavanaugh, or Jennie Kavanough, of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on November 12, 1881
- Katie C. Kennedy of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on November 12, 1881
- Annie A. Kennedy, signed in 1881
- Maggie A. Laden of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on April 13, 1882
- Mary E. Leonard, signed on November 6, 1881
- Maggie P. Mooney, signed at Wallingford, Connecticut, on December 6, 1881
- Loretta Quinn; she signed another page on November 16, 1911 and another on June 7, 1909
- M. J. Quinn, signed on December 20, 1890; there was another page signed by M. J. Quinn on January 9, 1889
- B. T. Roche of Birmingham, Connecticut, signed on July 21, 1884
- Daniel Sullivan, of Phi Epsilon Phi Fraternity, Troy, New York; Long Lake, New York; shared a page with Jack S? of Oyster Bay, New York
- Mary Sutton, "Mae", of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on December 5, 1897; Mary's daughter. She signed another page as well, on September 3, 1905 at So. Colony Street, Wallingford, Connecticut
- Katharine E. Sutton, signed in 1905. She was Mary's daughter.
- Joseph Sutton, Mary's "Beloved son"
- James Sutton of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on December 5, 1897; Mary's oldest child
- Nellie S.; presumably Nellie Sutton, Mary's daughter; she signed another page on May 16, 1907
- Kate J. Toohey of Wallingford, Connecticut, signed on October 25, 1887
Hopefully this is the correct house for 167 South Colony Street, Wallingford, Connecticut, and that it's the house that existed when Mary Ellen (Barry) Sutton lived there.