1880s autograph album of Almira Pierce, "Mira", of Troupsburg, New York.
The album is approximately 5-1/4" x 3" and contains the sentiments of 22 people, with several unsigned pages. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Almira Pierce was born 27 October 1870 at Troupsburg, New York, the daughter of Henry Levi Pierce and his first wife Hannah Lavisa (Kelly) Pierce. Hannah died in 1872. Henry later married Eliza Jane Coffin.
Almira had, I believe, four siblings, two of whom signed pages in her album. Her older brother Walter Pierce of Troupsburg, New York, and a faint page that I believe was written by Almira's older sister Alice Pierce.
About 1889, Almira Pierce became the second or third wife of widower Frank L. Waight, son of George Franklin Waight and Ellen (Murphy) Waight. They had a daughter Florence M. Waight, born 6 August 1889 at Jasper, New York. Sadly, Almira died in 1896. Florence was living with Almira's father Henry Levi Coffin and wife Eliza at the time of the enumeration of the 1900 Census of Troupsburg, New York.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
One of the fancier pages in the album was inscribed by Chancy Hulburt of Troupsburg, New York, on February 8, 1883.
Surnames in the Album [Some appear multiple times.]
Signers in the Album [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Louisa, surname might be Williams or Wilson or Wilkins, etc.; very faint
- Very faint, but name might be Mary Etta Kelly, signed in January or June of 1883. Bottom line may be Neb. for Nebraska
- Ollie, signed in May 1884
- Violetta M. ?; signed in 1883; surname possibly Le__?
- Robert Adams of Troupsburg, New York, signed on December 28, 1882; presumably Robert Alphonsus Adams, brother of signer Margaret Cecilia Adams, "Maggie."
- Maggie C. Adams of Troupsburg, New York, signed on December 28, 1882; presumably Margaret Cecilia Adams, sister of signer Robert Alphonsus Adams.
- Miss Cora Card of Troupsburgh, New York, signed on May 12, 1884
- Gertie Clark, signed on January 1, 1883; Almira's schoolmate
- Jennie Clark, signed on January 5 [no year written]; Almira's schoolmate
- James Cornell
- H. E. Holt; possibly Hiram E. Holt of Troupsburg, New York.
- Charlie Holt, signed on February 8, 1884
- D. B. Howe, signed in February 1884
- Chancy Hulburt of Troupsburg, New York, signed on February 8, 1883; sketched an intricate design of bird, scroll, etc.
- Dora Lewis of Jasper, New York, signed in July 1888
- G. M. Ordway of Troupsburgh, New York
- Miss Almira Pierce; album owner of Troupsburg, New York
- Very faint, but appears to be Alice Pierce, who signed on February 11, 1883; she was Almira's older sister.
- Walter Pierce of Troupsburg, New York; Almira's older brother
- Dwight Savage of Troupsburg, New York, signed on April 16, 1884
- Very faint, but appears to be Miss Edith Steadman of ?, Pike County, Pennsylvania, signed on July 21, 1883
- Norman Vickery of Steuben County, New York
- Mary E. Vickery
Troupsburg, New York
Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment