Note: Please let me know if you find errors in transcription or information - thanks in advance!
Last page from a journal handwritten by an unknown person, but likely by a descendant of William Ripley, that lists the deaths at Cornish, New Hampshire from 1826 to 1850. This post covers deaths in 1849, but only through April. The writer may have died or may have started a new journal, which I don't have.
Interestingly, an article in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register of 1917, pages 338-342, describes the project undertaken by William Ripley to record deaths in Cornish, New Hampshire, from 1775 until his death in 1818, upon which the task was given over to subsequent descendants.
The journal here is, I believe, either a copy of the original records, by a descendant of William Ripley, or was kept as the deaths happened by William Ripley's son Col. James Ripley until his death in 1842, leaving no descendants, and then by William Ripley's grandson Deacon James Ripley Wellman, son of Alethea (Ripley) Wellman.
See other posts that list deaths in the years:
- 1826; 1827; 1828; 1829; 1830; 1831; 1832; 1833; 1834; 1835; 1836; 1837; 1838; 1839; 1840; 1841; 1843; 1844; 1845; 1846; 1848; 1849
The journal measures approximately 9-3/4" by 8" and consists of the covers, 8 interior pages, with entries also on the inside back cover.
"Con" might refer to "Consumption", whether tuberculosis or an all-inclusive term for wasting away. "OA" is presumably "Old Age". Chm or Cm presumably refer to "Church Member". Some pages mention "Bm", which might be "Baptist member".
If you notice spelling and interpretation errors and/or if you have clarifying information or alternative identities for any of the people mentioned, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Sources for the information, hopefully correct, that I've added to the listings:
- History of the Town of Cornish, New Hampshire, with Genealogical Record, 1763-1910, Volume 2, published about 1911 by William Henry Child
- A daughter of Mr. Stephen D. Ford - age 10 years. Elizabeth E. Ford, born in 1840, daughter of Stephen Dana Ford and Marietta (Jackson) Ford, as mentioned on page 166 in History of the Town of Cornish, New Hampshire, with Genealogical Record, 1763-1910, Volume 2.
- A daughter of Mrs. Sarah Ann Chellis, was Kimball Chase's daughter - 10 years. The daughter was Sarah Jane Kimball, born August 26, 1839 to Benjamin Kimball Chase and Sarah Ann (Taft) Chase Chellis, who married Enoch F. Chellis after Benjamin Kimball Chase's death; as mentioned in a sketch of Benjamin Kimball Chase on page 81 in History of the Town of Cornish, New Hampshire, with Genealogical Record, 1763-1910, Volume 2.
- A Child of Gilbert Hilliard - about 11 mo. The child was Albert D. Hilliard, born January 4, 1850, died March 25, 1850, son of Gilbert G. Hilliard and Sophia (Plaistridge) Hilliard, as mentioned on page 201 in History of the Town of Cornish, New Hampshire, with Genealogical Record, 1763-1910, Volume 2.
- 31 - Widow Elizabeth Stone, age 89
- A Child of Js. Bartlett, about 3 mo. Presumably Nathaniel J. Bartlett, who died April 2, 1850, son of James Fitch Bartlett and Caroline M. (Hart) Bartlett, as mentioned on page 20 in History of the Town of Cornish, New Hampshire, with Genealogical Record, 1763-1910, Volume 2.