1886-1894+ autograph album that belonged to Ella Dorn Williams, "Ellen", of Hendersonville, North Carolina. There are three later undated entries by her daughter Mabel Acker, who was born September 28, 1898 in Pickens County, South Carolina.
As you can see from the image above, the album was given to Ellen by a Thomas of Hendersonville, presumably her brother Thomas Clingman Williams.
Mabel wrote her name upside down on two pages and also was likely the author of a page listing her name and the name of Mrs. Waco Acker, who would have been Ellen, the album owner.
The album, which is missing covers and spine, measures approximately 6" x 3-3/4" and contains the sentiments of 24 of Ellen's relatives and friends. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the signers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post. One of Ellen's children or grandchildren, presumably, scribbled throughout the album.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Ella Dorn Williams, "Ellen", was born March 28, 1868, at Hendersonville, North Carolina, the daughter of Leroy Taylor Williams and Elvira Andrew (Banning) Williams. Ellen had another brother, James Ott Williams.
Four of Ellen's cousins inscribed pages in her album. Cousin D. R. Murray signed a page at Boilston, North Carolina, on March 23, 1894.
Cousin Fannie inscribed a page.
Cousins Gertrude C. Bird and Lou Bird inscribed pages at Boilston, North Carolina, Gertrude on December 19, 1888, and Lou on July 19, 1887.
On January 15, 1896, Ellen married James Waco Acker, son of Joseph Jasper Acker and Nancy Caroline (Sitton) Acker of Anderson County, South Carolina. Ellen and James Waco lived for a time in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. They raised at least two children, son Louie Dorn Acker and daughter Mabel Acker. Ellen died in 1946 and husband James in 1949. They're buried at Silver Brook Cemetery at Anderson, South Carolina.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
One signer had an unusual name, which he understandably abbreviated in most of the official records. He was Volney Condorcet Voltaire Shepherd, who inscribed a page on April 3, 1889, and stamped his name on another page.
List of signers [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Hattie; can't make out what might be her surname initial - possibly J.
- Unsigned, at Boilston, North Carolina, on July 30, 188 [no last digit]. There might have been a short name but it appears to have been rubbed out.
- Unsigned, at Hendersonville, North Carolina, on March 38, 1887
- Cousin Fannie
- Q. T.; not sure of either initial
- Mrs. Waco Acker - on a page with also the name Mabel; I believe it was Mabel who inscribed this page - she also signed her name upside down on two other pages. She was Mabel Acker, and Mrs. Waco Acker was her mother, Ella Dorn (Williams) Acker, wife of James Waco Acker
- Leona R. Allison, signed at Boilston, North Carolina, on July 21, 1886
- B. F. Anderson; possibly related to Ellen through her paternal grandmother Ruth (Anderson) Williams
- Gertrude C. Bird, signed at Boilston, North Carolina, on December 19, 1888; Ellen's cousin. Her mother was Mary Jane (Williams) Bird, a sister to Ellen's father Leroy Taylor Williams.
- Lou Bird, signed on July 19, 1887; Ellen's cousin Louisa Bird. Her mother was Mary Jane (Williams) Bird, a sister to Ellen's father Leroy Taylor Williams.
- H. M. C., signed at Hendersonville, North Carolina
- Birt Crawford or Birl Crawford or ?
- Joseph Ficker
- Annie Ficker
- F. J. Ficker, signed on October 4, 1888
- W. P. G., signed at Hendersonville, North Carolina
- Juniata D. Gash, signed at Hendersonville, North Carolina, on October 30, 1886
- Daisy L. Justus, signed on October 7, 1886
- Ettie L. Justus, signed at Hendersonville, North Carolina, on October 7, 1886
- D. R. Murray, signed at Boilston, North Carolina, on March 23, 1894; Ellen's cousin
- Ninnie Orr, signed at Deavers, North Carolina, on June 14, 1889
- V. C. V. Shepherd, signed at Hendersonville, North Carolina, on April 3, 1889. Volney Condorcet Voltaire Shepherd. He also stamped his name on a page.
- Lillie E. Whitted, signed on October 7, 1886 at Hendersonville, North Carolina
- Ella Dorn Williams, "Ellen", of Hendersonville, North Carolina; album owner. She received the album from a Thomas of Hendersonville, presumably her brother Thomas Clingman Williams.
- Thomas, who presented the album to Ellen; presumably her brother Thomas Clingman Williams of Hendersonville, North Carolina