Autograph album that student Stella Harris commenced on February 14, 1889; perhaps a Valentine's Day gift. Stella was presumably Estella Harris of Modesto, Illinois, daughter of Sidney Thomas Harris and Susan Elizabeth (McPherson) Harris.
The album measures approximately 5" by 3" and contains the sentiments of 23 of Stella's relatives, friends, schoolmates and teachers. An alphabetical list of the surnames mentioned in the album and an alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested:
According to her California death record, Estella Harris, "Stella", was born January 1, 1882 in Illinois, and died in 1944 in Los Angeles, California. However, her Find a Grave memorial indicates she was born February 26, 1881; she's buried in the Waverly East Cemetery at Waverly, Illinois.
Stella, the daughter of Sidney Thomas Harris and Susan Elizabeth (McPherson) Harris, is listed as Estella Harris in a 1901 University of Illinois (the Urbana-Champaign campus) publication. Since Stella was buried at Waverly, Illinois, I'm assuming she is the Miss Estelle Harris who started a movement in 1911 for the establishment of a Carnegie Public Library at Waverly.
Two of Stella's sisters, Emma and Eunice, inscribed pages in her album in 1889.
A cousin, Susie, inscribed a page on June 12, 1889.
Two of Stella's teachers inscribed pages. They were Emma Maxwell, who inscribed a page in 1889, and Katie Fanning, who inscribed a page in 1891.
Surnames in the album include:
Alphabetical list of inscribers, together with any personal information they offered:
- Josie's Mamma; inscribed on May 1, 1890 at Modesto, Illinois; possibly the mother of inscriber Josie Wilcox
- Susie, "your loving cousin"; inscribed on June 12, 1889
- Bertha Allen; inscribed on October 25, 1889 at Modesto, Illinois
- Lizzie Bell; inscribed on April 29, 1890
- Grace Champlin
- Mabel Curtiss, Stella's schoolmate; inscribed on May 4, 1891 at Rohrer, Illinois
- Katie Fanning, "your teacher and friend"; inscribed at Waverly, Illinois, on May 5, 1891
- Ettie Hamilton
- Ida Harford, Stella's schoolmate
- Emma [Harris], Stella's sister; inscribed at Home on May 12, 1889
- Estella Harris, "Stella", album owner, who inscribed the end paper on February 14, 1889
- Eunice [Harris], "Your affectionate sister"; inscribed on February 17, 1889
- Maggie Jones; inscribed October 2 [no year written] at Rohrer, Illinois
- Emma Maxwell, "your friend and teacher"; inscribed on June 12, 1889
- Otis Mills; inscribed on April 29, 1890
- Maud Moore, Stella's schoolmate; inscribed on October 2, 1890
- Anna Parrott
- Bertha Parrott, inscribed on April 29, 1890
- Jennie Parrott, inscribed on October 2, 1890 at Modesto, Illinois
- Mamie Puliam
- Frank Wilcox; inscribed on October 2, 1890
- Josie Wilcox
- Josie's Mamma; inscribed on May 1, 1890 at Modesto, Illinois; possibly the mother of the inscribers with the surname Wilcox, who include a Josie
- Paul Wilcox; inscribed in May 1890; Stella's schoolmate: "Remember our fun of 1890"