Note: Please scroll down to the comments section, where a reader has identified the two people in the photograph above and has provided more information.
Sadly, none of the people in the photographs are identified, and only eleven have a studio imprint.
The photographs with studio imprints were taken at the following studios:
- Five photographs and one Carte de Visite were taken at the studio of Ole Larson at Newcastle, New Brunswick
- Cabinet photograph of a young woman was taken at the Mersereau studio of Chatham, New Brunswick
- Carte de Visite of a young man taken at the studio of S. W. Dimock of Campbellton, New Brunswick
- Cabinet photograph of a man; by the Lewis Rice studio at one of various branches in Nova Scotia: Truro; Windsor; Wolfville; Springhill; Amherst; Railroad Car
- Carte de Visite of a young man taken by the J. E. Morrell studio of Springhill, Nova Scotia
- Cabinet photograph of a young man; by the Fassett studio of 124 Lisbon Street, Lewiston, Maine
- Cabinet photograph of a young man; by the W. M. Lee studio, possibly of Wisconsin
- Two cabinet photographs of women, one of them elderly; by the Katz studio of 7 Tremont Row, Boston, Massachusetts
- Cabinet photograph of a man; by the Kuhn studio of Stillwater, Minnesota
- Cabinet photograph of a man; by the Kirkham studio of Menominee, Michigan
The photographs were found with an official copy of the birth certificate of Eugene Joseph McMahon, who was born at Millinocket, Maine, on January 21, 1902. His parents were James Joseph McMahon, also seen as McMahone, and Eliza Ellen (Chaplin) McMahon, who were born at Bartibogue, New Brunswick, and Red Bank, New Brunswick, respectively. The birth record is featured in another post.
Also found with the photographs and birth record are more photographs, with no identification or studio imprint, and several letters that may, or may not, have a connection to the New Brunswick photographs or with the McMahon and/or Chaplin families.
- 1838 letter from John Paul Dennis at Gardiner, Maine, to his daughter Joanna G. Dennis at Fall River, Massachusetts
- 1840 letter from Lovina Libby at Great Falls, Somersworth, New Hampshire, to her future husband Benjamin Franklin Baker at Waterborough, Maine
- three c1914 letters from Lula Abbott at Farmington, Maine, and Miami, Florida, addressed to her brother Joseph Henry Abbott at Andover, Maine.
- two c1913 letters from East Winthrop, Maine, to Mrs. H. A. Cassidy at Fall River, Massachusetts
Following are photographs that lack a studio imprint. Again, whether they have a relationship to the other photographs or to the McMahon and Chaplin families, I can't say.
If you recognize anyone from your family albums and/or research, please leave a comment or contact me directly.