1905 graduation photograph of Jessie Jones Colvin (1886-1989), a student at Technical High School at Providence, Rhode Island.
The photograph itself is 4" x 3"; mounted, the piece is 10" x 7". It was found with 15 similar photographs of 7 young men and 8 other young women. Most, if not all, of the photographs were taken by the Edgar K. Horton studio of Providence.
A list of the people in the photographs appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections welcome!]
Jessie Jones Colvin was born 18 December 1886 at Pawtucket, Rhode Island, the daughter of George Bowen Colvin and Maria Abeline (Greene) Colvin, both Rhode Island natives.
It appears that Jessie's parents were divorced early on in her life. George may have been the George Bowen Colvin who moved to Michigan and started another family there.
After graduation from Technical High School at Providence, Rhode Island, Jessie attended Rhode Island Normal School and then became a teacher.
The 1920 Census of Cranston, Rhode Island. showed Jessie living with her mother and maternal grandmother. Jessie was teaching, and her mother was a dressmaker.
Jessie is shown in a 1924 city directory of Providence, where she was listed as a teacher at the Roosevelt School. In July of that year, Jessie married George Gaines Miller in Los Angeles. John died in 1962; Jessie lived beyond a century.
If you have any corrections and/or information to share, please leave a comment for the benefit of other researchers.
List of people in the 16 photographs:
- Ethel B. Arnold, June 1905
- Rachel C. Arnold, T.H.S. 1905
- Ernest Spencer Calder, Tech 05, "Giles Corey"
- Mary Alice Carpenter, June 1905
- Jessie J. Colvin, T.H.S. '05
- Florence Dombey Colwell, Class of 1905, T.H.S.
- Edith M. Fairbrother, T.H.S. 1905
- Joseph Alfred Fallows, Tech. '05
- Farah C. Glynne, [not sure of this name], T.H.S. 1905
- Annie Francesca Goff, Class of 1905 [died 22 March 1909]
- Marjorie Goff, Christmas 1904
- George Gould, T.H.S. '05
- Ella Grace Hartman, April 26, 1905
- Charles J. Martin, T.H.S. '05 [became noted artist Charles James Martin]
- Frank Bartlett McSoley, T.H.S. 1905
- Mancel Talcott, T.H.S. '05
Hi, would you please share with me where you found info on George Bowen Colvin moving to Michigan. He is a cousin. ThanksReplyDelete