Autograph album with inscriptions from 1877 to 1891 of people mostly from Brownfield, Maine; it contains ten calling cards, one business card and 3 book plates.
The owner isn't identified, though two inscribers, A. C. Morrison and his wife Mary L. Morrison of Brownfield, Maine, described themselves as the owner's step parents. The only inscriptions beyond 1879 were inscribed in 1881 by L. A. Cole and in 1891 by Wessie Cole, who were, I believe, Llewellyn A. Cole and his son Eugene Weston Cole. I'm wondering if the owner might have been related to Llewellyn.
- Massachusetts: Boston; Charlestown; West Roxbury; Winchester
- Cohoes, New York
- Bridgton, Maine
- Brownfield, Maine
- Denmark, Maine
- Rumford, Maine
The album measures approximately 4" by 2-3/4" and contains 29 inscriptions and 11 calling cards, as well as the notice, shown below, of the death from scarlet fever of Frankie C. Dresser, son of Clayton D. and Miranda F. Dresser, at the age of 2 years and 8 months.
|C||Colby||J||Jewett ||Stickney |
|Cole ||M||McCrillis||Storer |
|E||E ?||Morrison ||Wells|
- Jennie H. Bean of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on August 30, 1877
- Calling card of Annie Bristol
- Sammy D. Butterfield of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on December 18, 1878
- H. Colby, or C. Colby, or ? Colby, of Denmark, Maine
- Bradford Cole of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on March 18, 1877
- Miss Jennie Cole of East Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on January 23, 1877
- Mr. L. A. Cole of Boston, Massachusetts, inscribed in September of 1881. One of the only inscriptions made after the 1870s. Presumably Llewellyn A. Cole of Brownfield, Maine.
- Wessie Cole of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on both facing pages, with the page on the right bearing the date of December 25, 1891. Presumably Eugene Weston Cole, whose father Llewellyn A. Cole was likely the inscriber L. A. Cole.
- Mrs. Eliza A. Day of West Roxbury, Massachusetts
- Calling card of Cora B. Dodge
- C. D. Dresser of Bridgton, Maine; inscribed on January 29, 1877. Clayton D. Dresser, husband of inscriber Marianda or Miranda F. (Smith) Dresser and father of Frankie C. Dresser.
- Death notice pasted on the inside back cover: Bridgton - April 24th, of scarlet fever, Frankie C., only son of Clayton D. and Miranda F. Dresser, aged 2 years, 8 months.
- M. F. Dresser of Bridgton, Maine; inscribed on January 29, 1877. Marianda or Miranda F. (Smith) Dresser, wife of inscriber Clayton D. Dresser and mother of Frankie C. Dresser
- M. E. E. of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed at B.H.S., presumably Brownfield High School
- C. F. Eaton of Boston, Massachusetts, inscribed on April 22, 1879
- William Eaton of Brownfield, Maine
- Mrs. Villie A. Greenlaw of Winchester, Massachusetts, inscribed on March 16, 1877
- Calling card of James F. Hayes
- E. H. Hewins, inscribed on September 2, 1878
- Carrie A. Jewett of Bridgton, Maine; inscribed in 1877
- F. C. Jewett, inscribed on February 4, 1877
- C. N. McCrillis of Rumford, Maine
- Calling card of Miss Clara and Myrtie Messer, dated March 7, 1884
- Dr. John H. Meyer, Dentist, 141 West 87th Street, between Columbus and Amsterdam Aves. "All West Side Cars Pass Within One Block"
- Sarah C. Mighels of West Brownfield [Maine]
- A. C. Morrison, inscribed on September 1, 1877. "Your Step Father". Alvin C. Morrison, husband of inscriber Mary (Lord) Morrison
- Elma A. Morrison of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on August 30, 1877
- Mary L. Morrison of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on August 30, 1877. "Your Step Mother". Mary (Lord) Morrison, wife of inscriber Alvin C. Morrison
- Valeria D. Morrison of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on August 29, 1877
- Calling card of C. C. Partridge
- Calling card of Alfred H. Putney
- Calling card of Mr. Willis Sargent, dated March 19, 1884. Middle initial might be D or ?
- Mrs. E. A. G. Stickney of East Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on October 30, 1877
- William H. Stickney of East Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on October 30, 1877
- John E. Storer of Charlestown, Massachusetts; inscribed on April 22, 1877
- Nellie E. Storer of Charlestown, Massachusetts
- Calling card of J. Madison Stowe
- Calling card of Leon McG. Wallace
- Webster Warner of Brownfield, Maine; inscribed on January 27, 1877
- Calling card of Mrs. John Wells, 52 East 25th Street
- E. R. Wilder, Telegraph Operator, Cohoes, Albany County, New York