Photograph dated 1905 of Edith M. Fairbrother.
It was found with similar photographs of graduates of Technical High School at Providence, Rhode Island, so Edith may have been a student there as well.
The photograph itself is 4" x 3"; mounted, the piece is 10" x 7". The 15 other photographs show 7 men and 8 women. Most of the photographs, if not all, were taken by the Edgar K. Horton studio of Providence.
A list of the people in the photographs appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections welcome!]
Edith Marcia Fairbrother was born 29 April 1887 at Providence, Rhode Island, the daughter of Frederick A. and Emily (Coit) Fairbrother, who were born at Brooklyn, New York, and Bristol, Rhode Island, respectively. Frederick's name may have been spelled Frederic; I found both spellings.
Edith's paternal grandparents were Frederick Augustus Fairbrother and Amelia Douglas (White) Fairbrother. Her maternal grandparents were David Ambrose Coit, Jr., and Harriett (Coggeshall) Coit.
On 27 September 1913, Edith married Arthur Lewis Denton, son of Lewis James Denton and Emily Dunn (possibly Brown, daughter of Moses Brown but I haven't yet verified). Arthur was born 18 September 1883 at Plainfield, New Jersey.
By the time of the 1920 Census, the couple was living at Wakefield, Massachusetts, with two young children, a son and a daughter. Arthur was working as a paint salesman.
By 1930, the family of four was still living at Wakefield, Massachusetts. Arthur was managing a paint concern. By 1940, nothing had changed, except that Arthur declared his occupation again as paint salesman and their son was out of the household.
Arthur and Edith apparently retired to Melrose, Massachusetts. Arthur died there in 1966, and Edith in 1975.
If you have corrections to the information above, or additions to it, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
List of people in the photographs:
- Ethel B. Arnold, June 1905
- Rachel C. Arnold. T.H.S. 1905
- Ernest Spencer Calder, Tech 05, "Giles Corey"
- Mary Alice Carpenter, June 1905
- Jessie J. Colvin, T.H.S. '05
- Florence Dombey Colwell, Class of 1905, T.H.S.
- Edith M. Fairbrother, T.H.S. 1905
- Joseph Alfred Fallows, Tech. '05
- Farah C. Glynne, [not sure of this name], T.H.S. 1905
- Annie Francesca Goff, Class of 1905 [died 22 March 1909]
- Marjorie Goff, Christmas 1904
- George Gould, T.H.S. '05
- Ella Grace Hartman, April 26, 1905
- Charles J. Martin, T.H.S. '05 [became noted artist Charles James Martin]
- Frank Bartlett McSoley, T.H.S. 1905
- Mancel Talcott, T.H.S. '05
View Larger Map
Wakefield, Massachusetts [See Melrose to the south]
View Larger Map
Thanks for stopping by!