Christmas 1904 photograph of Marjorie Goff, taken by Sabine at Providence, Rhode Island. It's in the same format as 15 photographs found with it, the others taken by the Edgar K. Horton studio of Providence.
Most of the other photographs were graduation photographs of Class of 1905 students at Technical High School at Providence, Rhode Island. Marjorie may have been a student there as well.
The photograph itself is 4" x 3"; mounted, the piece is 10" x 7". A list of the people in the other photographs appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections welcome!]
Marjorie Anthony Goff was born 27 April 1888 at East Providence, Rhode Island, daughter of Rufus B. and Eva M. (Anthony) Goff, who were born at Warren, Rhode Island, and East Providence, Rhode Island, respectively.
Marjorie's paternal grandparents were Henry Payson Goff and Judith G. (Ingraham) Goff. Her maternal grandparents were Andrew Jackson Anthony and Harriet N. (Martin) Anthony.
On 29 May 1909, Marjorie married Arthur Gray Seabury, son of John Alden Seabury and Nancy Georgianna (Gray) Seabury. Arthur was born 20 July 1884 at Little Compton, Rhode Island.
By the time of the 1910 Census, Arthur and Marjorie had moved to nearby Fairhaven, Massachusetts, where Arthur was the secretary at a shuttle manufacturing company. By 1920, they had moved to New Bedford, Massachusetts and had a daughter. Arthur was listed as a shuttle manufacturer.
The family was still at New Bedford at the time of the 1930 Census. Arthur was listed as the proprietor of a shuttle factory. By 1940, Arthur, Marjorie and daughter were still at New Bedford, and Arthur was still the proprietor of a shuttle factory. Their daughter was with them but she apparently had been married, as she had the last name of English. What happened to Mr. English, I don't know, or perhaps the enumerator was in error.
At some point, Arthur and Marjorie moved to Rochester, Massachusetts, where Arthur died in 1970, and Marjorie in 1976.
If you have corrections to the information above, or additions to it, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
List of people in the photographs:
- Ethel B. Arnold, June 1905
- Rachel C. Arnold, T.H.S. 1905
- Ernest Spencer Calder, Tech 05, "Giles Corey"
- Mary Alice Carpenter, June 1905
- Jessie J. Colvin, T.H.S. '05
- Florence Dombey Colwell, Class of 1905, T.H.S.
- Edith M. Fairbrother, T.H.S. 1905
- Joseph Alfred Fallows, Tech. '05
- Farah C. Glynne, [not sure of this name], T.H.S. 1905
- Annie F. Goff, Class of 1905 [died 22 March 1909]
- Marjorie Goff, Christmas 1904
- George Gould, T.H.S. '05
- E. Grace Hartman, April 26, 1905
- Charles J. Martin, T.H.S. '05 [became noted artist Charles James Martin]
- Frank Bartlett McSoley, T.H.S. 1905
- Mancel Talcott, T.H.S. '05