1880s autograph album of Etta M. Lovering of Biddeford, Maine.
The album is approximately 4" x 2-1/2" and contains 28 pages signed by Etta herself, her relatives and friends. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections welcome!]
Etta Mary Lovering, or Mary Etta Lovering, was born about June 1868 at Charlestown, Massachusetts [according to her marriage record], or Biddeford, Maine [according to her son's birth record], the daughter of Moses B. and Mary Jennie (French) Lovering, both of whom I believe were born at Lee, New Hampshire.
At the time of the 1880 Census of Biddeford, Maine, Etta was living with her grandmother Eliza (Smith) French and Eliza's daughters, one of whom was Hattie French [see her page below]. At that time, Etta's parents were living at Boston, Massachusetts, with Etta's younger sister Ida Bell Lovering.
Ida Bell Lovering signed two pages in her sister Etta's album.
A Jennie Lovering of Charlestown, Massachusetts, also signed a page in Etta's album, in 1883. Jennie was possibly Etta's mother, but there are other possibilities of relatives and in-laws.
As noted above, Etta's maternal aunt Hattie French of Biddeford, Maine, signed a page in 1881.
On 8 January 1889 at Lawrence, Massachusetts, Etta Mary Lovering married Harry Eugene Bean, son of Samuel Thing Bean and Lucy Jane (Palmer) Bean. Harry was born at Biddeford, Maine, on 20 December 1866.
The couple had at least two children: Linwood Samuel Bean and Gladys Belle Bean.
If you have corrections to the information above or additional information on the Lovering, French, Glover, Smith, Bean and/or Palmer families, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Alphabetical list of the signers in Etta M. Lovering's album [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Eliza Bardsley, 1881. She lived at Biddeford, Maine and was a sister to signer Sarah Bardsley
- Sarah Bardsley of Biddeford, Maine, 1881. Sister to signer Eliza Bardsley
- C. R. Bates of Biddeford, Maine; not sure of initials
- Cora B. Billings of Biddeford, Maine, 1881
- Miss Ada Carter of Biddeford, Maine, 1881
- Kophman Clark of Boston, Massachusetts, 1881
- Wilbur Cleaves. 1881. Possibly the Wilbur Cleaves who lived at Biddeford, Maine
- Hattie Foss of Biddeford, Maine
- Hattie P. French [not sure of middle in initial] of Biddeford, Maine, 1881. I believe this was the younger sister of Etta's mother Mary Jennie (French) Lovering
- Miss Eunice G. Fuller of Boston, Massachusetts, 1881
- Hattie W. Hazeltine, 1881 Hattie Hazeltine was in the 1880 Census of Biddeford, Maine, as was signer Lillie (Lillian) Hazeltine, Hattie's sister
- Lillie Hazeltine, 1881. Lillian Hazeltine was in the 1880 Census of Biddeford, Maine, as was signer Hattie W. Hazeline, Lillie's sister
- Howard Libby of Biddeford, Maine
- Angie E. Lord, 1881
- Etta M. Lovering; album owner
- Ida Bell Lovering of Boston, Massachusetts. Etta's younger sister. She signed two pages
- Jennie Lovering of Charlestown, Massachusetts, 1883. Perhaps Etta's mother Mary Jennie (French) Lovering?
- Frank Lyons of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1881. Either Mr. precedes his name or a fancy initial
- Hatty Morrill of Biddeford, Maine, 1881
- Minnie E. Nelson of Biddeford, Maine, 1881
- Samuel H. Newell of Manchester, New Hampshire, signed at Biddeford, Maine, in 1880
- Edgar E. Small of Biddeford, Maine, 1881
- Miss Emma Smith of Biddeford, Maine, 1881
- Harry S. Twombley of Biddeford, Maine, 1881
- Howard Van Alstyn or Alstyne
- Jessie Wales of Biddeford, Maine, 1881
- Frank Whitten of Biddeford, Maine, 1881