1870s-1892 autograph album that belonged to an Ida, perhaps an Ida from Beverly, Massachusetts, and presumably a telegraph operator for the Eastern Railroad. Ida may have been a member of the Webber family of Beverly, Massachusetts.
The album is in poor condition, with missing covers and perhaps some missing pages. It measures approximately 8" by nearly 5" and contains the sentiments of at least 42 of Ida's coworkers and friends. An alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appears at the end of this list.
Some inscribers mentioned shared adventures, too lengthy to share here.
Surnames in the Album
Many of the inscribers gave indication that they were telegraph operators with the Eastern Railroad, from 109 State Street in Boston, to Conway Junction in Maine, presumably in South Berwick, Maine, although the railroad itself extended all the way to Portland, Maine.
If you have information to share on the Eastern Railroad or any of the people mentioned here, please leave a comment for the benefit of fellow family historians.
Inscribers in the Album
- 1876 inscription - very faint
- "h"; on a page shared with 5 others
- Gars ? On a page shared with 5 others
- E. ? M.; perhaps E. W. M.; on a page shared with 5 others
- Francis E. C. of Beanville or Beauville, Massachusetts; inscribed on 11-8-1878
- Fanny; mentions the time they had in Hollis, New Hampshire in 1873
- Nellie M. Allen of Boston, Massachusetts; inscribed on February 24, 1875
- Elizabeth Baker of Beverly, Massachusetts
- Harry Baker of Beverly, Massachusetts; inscribed on November 8, 1878
- J. Paul Bigelow of Portsmouth, New Hampshire; inscribed on April 27, 1874
- Carrie Caine, "Sister O'p'r", inscribed in April 1874
- F. Corliss; inscribed on October 19, 1875
- Maggie Cowie of Lockeport, Nova Scotia; inscribed on August 30, 1875
- ? Daley, E.R.R Telegraph Operator, Conway Junction, Maine; inscribed on December 14, 1874. Perhaps the Conway Junction in South Berwick, Maine.
- M. L. Eells; inscribed at East Boston, Massachusetts, on September 14, no year written
- Samuel O. Galloup of Beverly, Massachusetts; inscribed on September 9, 1874
- G. F. Goodhue of Boston, Massachusetts; inscribed on April 15, 1874. Class of 1873
- F. H. Gove of Boston, Massachusetts; inscribed on September 10 at 2:40am, no year written. "Phred, The Umbrella Man"
- Andrew J. Hammond of Gloucester, Massachusetts
- Edw. H. Haskell of Gloucester, Massachusetts; inscribed on June 21, 1875
- L. ? Hatch of Gloucester, Massachusetts; inscribed on April 20, 1875. Possibly L. N. Hatch
- Alice S. Hodges of New Orleans, Louisiana; inscribed on Thursday, March 5, 1874.
- Sara G. Hodges, Operator Lynn Depot, presumably Lynn, Massachusetts; inscribed on Thursday, March 5, 1874. "And now 109 State St, February 25, 1875"; presumably Boston, Massachusetts
- Wyman B. Junkins of Portsmouth, New Hampshire; inscribed on April 27, 1874. "Your Brother Op'r"
- Abbie O. Kempton of Milton, perhaps Milton, Massachusetts; on a page shared with 5 others
- Mattie A. Kempton; on a page shared with 5 others
- H. B. Kent of Portsmouth, New Hampshire; inscribed on September 6, 1876
- C. W. Knowles of Newburyport, Massachusetts; inscribed on May 27, 1874
- Abbie S. Lakeman of Gloucester, Massachusetts; inscribed on March 8, 1874
- L. Merriam of 109 State Street, Boston, Massachusetts; inscribed on February 25, 1875
- George Meacom; inscribed at Beverly, Massachusetts, on January 7, 1876
- Clara N. Merrill of Salem, Massachusetts; inscribed on February 21, 1877
- T. H. Miles; inscribed at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on April 27, 1874
- J. O. Neff; inscribed on June 22, 1874; on a page shared with 5 others
- E. A. Nutting - E.R.R. Teleraph of Ipswich, Massachusetts
- H. A. Partridge, inscribed on February 24, 1875; not sure of first initial
- E? E. Patterson of Boston, Massachusetts; inscribed on April 16, 1874. Emmie E. Patterson ?
- A. O. Robinson; inscribed at Wolfboro Junction, New Hampshire, on April 3, 1874
- Geraldine L. Stacy; inscribed on October 13, 1874
- Edith Webber of Beverly, Massachusetts; inscribed on Saturday, November 7, 1891
- Ray Webber of Beverly, Massachusetts; inscribed in 1892
- Edward S. Wheaton; inscribed at Manchester on August 10, 1874
Post a Comment