July entries in the 1899 diary of John Foss (1860-1934) and Isabelle (Huff) Foss (1869-1929), "Belle", who farmed at West Hollis, Maine. From the entries, it's plain to see that they were a hard working couple.
John and Belle, who married in 1890 at Hollis, Maine, had two daughters:
- Myra Helene Foss (1892-1976), who would marry George Woodbury McKenney
- Annie Evelyn Foss (1900-1988), who would marry Lewis Isaac Woodman
- family history of the Foss family
- links to entries for the rest of January 1899 and other diaries from 1900, 1902, 1903 and 1904
- an alphabetical list of surnames in the diary and an approximation of how many different people of that surname were mentioned in the diaries
- an alphabetical list of individual people mentioned in the diaries, some countless times
The person making the entry is identified in brackets. Throughout the diaries, John made occasional entries, but Belle made the majority of them.
People mentioned in the entries below are identified or tentatively identified the first time they appear. If you have corrections, alternate identities or additional information on anyone mentioned, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Saturday, July 1, 1899: [Belle] I went to Ctr. Sugar, 50 cts. Sold qt blueberries 10 cts.
Sunday, July 2, 1899: [Belle] A hot day. John hunted the axes up. [possibly oxen, but looks more like axes]
Monday, July 3, 1899: [Belle] John began haying, 90 in the shade.
Tuesday, July 4, 1899: [Belle] Very hot, 96 in the shade.
Wednesday, July 5, 1899: no entry
Thursday, July 6, 1899: [Belle] 3 qts blueberries, 30 cts.
Friday, July 7, 1899: no entry
Saturday, July 8, 1899: [Belle] John bought Sugar, 25
Sunday, July 16, 1899: no entry
Monday, July 17, 1899: no entry
Tuesday, July 18, 1899: no entry
Wednesday, July 19, 1899: [Belle] Sold L. Burnham 8 qts berries, 80 cents
- L. Burnham - possibly Lewis Elmer Burnham, future husband of Belle's sister Leonora Asenath Huff, "Nora"
Friday, July 21, 1899: [Belle] A fearful thunder shower. Sam and Lill Jellerson was here tonight. John drove the oxen over to W. Deering's.
- Sam and Lill Jellerson - possibly Samuel W. Jellerson and sister Ida Lillian (Jellerson) Jellerson
- W. Deering - possibly William Brooks Deering
Sunday, July 23, 1899: [Belle] John took us to ride in Limerick. Engaged a pig of F. Ridlon.
- F. Ridlon - Frank Ridlon, Francis Ridlon, Frederick Ridlon, F[?] Ridlon or someone who went by his middle name which started with F - several possibilities.
Tuesday, July 25, 1899: no entry
Wednesday, July 26, 1899: [Belle] Rain all the forenoon.
Friday, July 28, 1899: [Belle] I got Sugar, 50 cts. Partrdge [presumably Partridge] brought Sugar 50
- Partrdge - presumably either Partridge or Patridge - there was a family by the name of Partridge living in or near Hollis, Maine, during this time frame
Sunday, July 30, 1899: [Belle] John took us to ride in the evening.
Monday, July 31, 1899: [Belle] John got his book and the check came today.
Tuesday, August 1, 1899: [Belle] John went up Country looking up oxen. Got his check cashed.
Again, if you have information to share on any of the people mentioned, including the Foss family itself, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Advance to August 1899 or return to June 1899