Autograph album of Emma L. Lewis of Paintersville, Ohio, presented to her by her cousin Will P. Middleton. His given name could also be Wilt or Witt. Hopefully a reader familiar with the family will leave a comment.
The album is a large one, approximately 8-1/2" x 7" and contains the sentiments of approximately 50 people, some of whom signed more than one page and some of whom signed pages with multiple signers. There are several illustrated pages, some of which were chosen by the signers.
Several pieces of ephemera, including a Class of 1895 graduation program at Paintersville, Ohio, which was apparently sent to Emma by graduating senior Wilber A. Rudduck, and various newspaper clippings are tucked inside.
An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
Emma herself penned page of welcome to her future signers on 23 June 1883 at Paintersville, Ohio.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Emma L. Lewis was born 26 September 1864 at Caesar Creek, Illinois, the daughter of Robert Dean Lewis and Angeline (Faulkner) Lewis.
Emma's sisters Savilla J. Lewis and Louesa F. Lewis signed multiple pages in her album.
Louesa chose one of the illustrated pages for one of her messages.
An especially meaningful page was signed by the three sisters, Emma, Savilla and Louesa.
Additionally, a page was signed by "M." who called Emma a sister. I don't know if M was a sibling or an in-law.
About 1886, Emma L. Lewis married Joshua P. Devoe, son of George Washington Devoe and Margarette (Ary) Devoe. He was born 18 December 1861 in Greene County, Ohio. Emma and Joshua farmed at Jefferson, Ohio, and raised, I believe, five daughters, two of whom apparently found Emma's girlhood album and signed pages in it a generation later.
Hazel Devoe signed a page.
Bertha Devoe signed two pages, one of which already had three other signatures on it from 1885. Her date was 19 July 1902.
A very sad page apparently written by Emma or Joshua details the short life of their son Emory J. Devoe, who died on 14 October 1901 at the age of 11 months and 26 days.
Several of Emma's cousins signed pages as well. Please refer to the list of signers below.
Tucked in the album was this 1895 graduation program for what I assume was Paintersville High School. Inside is a card signed by class member Wilber A. Rudduck.
There are several newspaper clippings from the Paintersville, Ohio area. Two are obituaries for Mrs. Florenda A. Martindale and Mrs. John Rhonemus.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Alphabetical list of signers: [Note: given names within specific surnames may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Emma's friends Will and Ida, one of whom sketched an intricate bird
- H. Y. Z., signed 28 May 1885
- Mik Jot [?], signed on 26 July 1886
- "Greeley, Cy", signed at Paintersville, Ohio, on 15 August 1896
- C. D. L. [not sure of initials]
- Mary Anderson, signed at Xenia, Ohio, on 2 September 1883. She chose an illustrated page
- Walter S. Arndt signed a page at Dayton, Ohio on 21 July 1885, shared with three other people.
- Hallie E. Arnold, signed on 22 April 188 [can't read last digit]
- Viola Ary, shared a page with multiple signers, signed on 25 March 1886
- J. E. Bailey of Port William, Ohio, signed on 24 March 1886
- Charlie Beal of Port William Ohio, signed on 22 April 1886
- S. L. Beal of Port William, Ohio
- Anna Blocher, shared a page with multiple signers, signed on 25 March 1886
- Emma's cousin Cora M. Bragg of Paintersville, Ohio, signed on 26 July 1883. I believe her mother was Elizabeth A. Lewis, who may have been the sister of Emma's father.
- Sue Chandler, signed at Paintersville, Ohio, on 8 October 1884
- Marilla Conklin of Lumberton, Ohio, signed on 17 June 1883
- Myra Conklin of Lumberton, Ohio, signed on 23 March 1884
- Alvaro Conklin of Lumberton, Ohio, signed on 13 June 1883
- Etta M. Cork, signed at Bainbridge, Ohio, on 14 September 1886
- Emma's daughter Hazel Devoe
- Emma's daughter Bertha Devoe. She signed another page on 19 July 1902 that had already been signed by three people in the 1880s
- Sad page. "Emory J. Devoe. Son of Joshua and Emma Devoe. Departed this life October 14, 1901. Aged 11 mon 26 days. At 8:30 o'clock A.M."
- Laura Doyle, signed at Port William, Ohio, on 23 February 1886. She chose one of the illustrated pages.
- A. L. Fisher of Paintersville, Ohio, signed on 24 February 1884
- Leila Jackson, shared a page with multiple signers, signed on 25 March 1886. She signed an individual page as well.
- Mary E. Johnson of Bloomington, Ohio, signed 23 June 1883
- Nettie King, signed on 26 July 1885. She also signed a page with multiple signers on 25 March 1886
- Minnie King, shared a page with multiple signers, signed on 25 March 1886.
- Ella King, signed at Paintersville, Ohio, on 26 July 1885
- S. L. King, signed at Paintersville, Ohio, on 26 July 1885
- Lillie Lane, signed 10 May 1891; she chose one of the illustrated pages.
- Emma L. Lewis, album owner. She penned a welcome page to her future signers, on 23 June 1883
- Louesa Lewis of Paintersville, Ohio, in Green County. Emma's younger sister. She signed other pages as well.
- Savilla J. Lewis of Paintersville, Ohio, signed 7 May 1894; Emma's younger sister. She signed other pages as well.
- Emma's sister M., signed on 10 May 1891. I don't know if M was a sister or a sister-in-law
- Louie Lewis, signed on 10 May 1891
- Emma's cousin Will Lewis, signed on 4 July 1883
- Emma's cousin Alice Lewis, signed on 16 June 1886
- Page signed by Emma Lewis of Paintersville, Ohio; Louesa F. Lewis; and Savilla J. Lewis, who dated her signature 24 March 1884. They were Emma L. Lewis and her two sisters.
- Emma's cousin Lydia Lewis, signed on 8 July 1883
- Miss Clara Lucas of Washington, Ohio, in Fayette County, signed on 16 June 1886. Page has stains from newspaper clippings tucked inside.
- "Compliments of Sim Sim, Jem Mason, April 22/86"
- Fannie Mason, signed at Paintersville, Ohio. Fannie chose an illustrated page.
- ? Mason signed a page on 21 July 1885; middle initial might be C. Shared the page with three other people.
- Irving McKay of Lumberton, Ohio, shared a page with three other people. He wrote "'89 of O.W.W."
- Mary E. Medsker, signed at Lumberton, Ohio, on 13 June 1883
- Per the presentation page, Emma's cousin Will P. Middleton, or Wilt P. Middleton, presented the album to her on 27 May 1883. He signed another page farther along in the album, dated 26 May 1883, at Montfort, Ohio
- Louie B. Oglesbee of Port William, Ohio, signed on 18 February 1886
- Stephen Powers of Paintersville, Ohio, signed on 9 March 1884
- Tucked in the album was a Class of 1895 Paintersville, Ohio, graduation program and attached card signed by class member Wilber A. Rudduck
- Minnie Semans, shared a page with multiple signers, signed on 25 March 1886
- Cora Semans, signed on 11 November 1883 at Wilmington, Ohio
View Larger Map
Thanks for stopping by!