1880s autograph album of Vinnie Blanche Shaffer of Tedrow, Ohio.
An earlier post featured the 1880s autograph album of Vinnie's future husband, Benjamin Franklin Gasche of Pettisville, Ohio, who then went by the name of Frank B. Gasche.
Vinnie's album is approximately 7" x 4-1/4" and contains the sentiments of over 70 of her relatives, friends and schoolmates. Many pages feature Victorian scraps. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
Vinnie penned the first page in the album on 3 February 1884.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Vinnie Blanche Shaffer was born 13 November 1872 at Tedrow, Ohio, the daughter of John J. and Fidelia Elenor (Boyers) Shaffer. Vinnie's father signed a page in her album and gave his address as Spring Hill, Ohio.
Vinnie's brother Ross Shaffer signed a page on 26 June 1888.
Many of Vinnie's other relatives signed pages in her album, as indicated in the list below. Several ministers and teachers also signed pages.
Vinnie married Benjamin Franklin Gasche on 22 December 1891. He was born 9 March 1868 at German, Ohio, the son of George and Catherine (Horneberger) Gasche. I assume he still went by the name of Frank in his adult life, but I'm not sure.
One of the several loose Victorian scraps in the album is signed on the reverse by Fern Gasche, a daughter born to Vinnie and Frank in 1894. Fern lived to nearly 100 years of age. Fern had an older sister Emma.
If you have corrections to the information above, or additions to it, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Alphabetical list of signers: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Your Aunt Duck, signed on 13 March 1886
- Your Cousin L. H. [or L. H. O. - the O is dropped down a line and may represent the cousin's surname or may represent Ohio]
- L. A. S., signed on 10 February 1887 at Tedrow, Ohio. She or Vinnie wrote in pencil Lydia A. Schad. She was perhaps the Liddie Schad on 1880 Census of German, Ohio, that listed brother Samuel Schad, a signer farther along in the album.
- Cousin Rella of Weston, Michigan, signed on 3 March 1885
- Myrtle, signed on 3 April 1884
- Name written in code, " B_g F__l Go." signed at Pettisville, Ohio, on 22 June 1890
- Page chock full of text and a date of 12 April 1881, but hard to find the name of the signers. Upside down, perhaps the name Lota or Luta
- Your cousin Leah, signed on 20 April 1887
- Lena Ayers of Ohio
- Nettie Ayers of Tedrow, Ohio
- Aylett Ayers. On a page shared by others, with this message: "Give the old men a chance."
- A. C. Bartlett, Minister, signed at Defiance, Ohio, on "8/9-1884"
- Mrs. Nellie Beebe, signed on 24 or 27 March [no year written] at Tedrow, Ohio
- Ellis Borton, signed on 13 April 1887
- Aunt Jennie, signed on 25 January 1884. She was Hester Jane "Jennie" (Snyder) Boyers, first wife of William Levi Boyers, who signed the right facing page. He was the brother of Vinnie's mother Fidelia Eleanor (Boyers) Shaffer.
- Uncle Levi, signed at Tedrow, Ohio, on 24 January 1884. Presumably William Levi Boyers, brother of Vinnie's mother Fidelia Eleanor (Boyers) Shaffer. Levi's first wife Hester Jane "Jennie" (Snyder) Boyers signed the facing page to the left.
- Aunt Laura Boyers, signed on 23 March 1884. She was Laura Rebecca (Miley) Boyers, wife of Dealton Adelbert Boyers, who was a brother to Vinnie's mother Fidelia Eleanor Boyers
- Uncle Dealton, signed on 23 March 1884. Dealton Adelbert Boyers, who was a brother to Vinnie's mother Fidelia Eleanor Boyers. His wife was Laura Rebecca (Miley) Boyers, who signed the left facing page.
- Elizabeth Boyers, signed at Tedrow, Ohio, on 29 December 1884; Vinnie's aunt, married to Simeon J. Boyers, brother of Vinnie's mother Fidelia Eleanor (Boyers) Shaffer.
- S. J. Boyers, signed on 29 December 1884 at Tedrow, Ohio; Vinnie's uncle Simeon J. Boyers, whose wife Elizabeth signed the left facing page. Simeon was the older brother of Vinnie's mother Fidelia Eleanor (Boyers) Shaffer.
- Aunt Adda, signed on 1 June 1884, presumably Elma Adda Boyers, sister of Vinnie's mother Fidelia Eleanor (Boyers) Shaffer.
- Clemma Bryarly of Chattanooga, Tennessee, signed on 31 August 1884
- Ralph Butler of Cleveland, Ohio, signed on 21 February 1891
- C. H. Calkins; Vinnie's teacher
- Solomon J. Clark, signed at Pettisville, Ohio, on 23 June 1884
- Vinnie's cousin Estel Clark, signed at Delta, Ohio, in Fulton County.
- Clara Clark of Wauseon, Ohio, signed on 23 June 1884
- Miss Emma Clark of Delta, Ohio, signed on 23 June 1884; Vinnie's cousin
- Ella Conaway, signed at Spring Hill, [no state given], on "1-2-84"
- Cora Conaway
- E. S. DeMiller of Shreve, Ohio. Presumably Rev. Edward S. DeMiller
- Etta Dickason of Tedrow, Ohio, signed on 31 March 1884
- Mell Dickason, signed at Tedrow, Ohio, on "2-1-84"
- Frank Dickason, signed at Tedrow, Ohio, on "1-6-84"
- D. L. Fink. On a page shared by others, with this message: "Give the old men a chance."
- F. E. Garrett, signed at Tedrow, Ohio, on 13 April 1887. Could also be T. E. Garrett
- E. Garrett. On a page shared by others, with this message: "Give the old men a chance."
- Fern Gasche signed the back of a loose Victorian scrap found in the album. She was Vinnie's daughter with husband Benjamin Franklin Gasche.
- Ina Haines; Vinnie's schoolmate
- Mrs. Tillie Hays of Fayette, Ohio, signed on 31 May 1884
- Maude Hibbard of Tedrow, Ohio, signed on 28 March 1886
- Carrie A. Hydorn of Wauseon, Ohio, signed 19 June 1885
- J. B. Kahle of Tedrow, Ohio, signed on 10 February 1886
- J. R. Kimerer of Shreve, Ohio, signed on "1-3-84"
- Solomon Lee of Tedrow, Ohio, signed in February 1889 [or 1884]; cute Victorian scrap
- Ellie S. Lee, signed on 3 February 1884
- Bertha Lee
- Jerome Loveland; not positive of name. On a page shared by others, with this message: "Give the old men a chance."
- Mrs. Phena Maloney of Tedrow, Ohio, signed on 30 August 1886
- Willie McKnight of Tedrow, Ohio
- Mrs. M. E. Osmun of Tedrow, Ohio
- T. Osmun of Tedrow, Ohio
- Aunt Sarah, signed on 8 November 1885. She was married to John Pocock, who signed the facing page.
- John Pocock, signed on 8 November 1885. He was Vinnie's uncle, married to Sarah, who signed the facing page.
- N. S. Poorman, signed at Tedrow, Ohio, on 24 February 1886
- W. Proudfoot of Springhill, Ohio, signed on 29 October 1885.
- Samuel Schad, signed in ink on 31 March 1886 at Tedrow, Ohio. The date of 17 August 1887 is written in parentheses in pencil in lower left corner.
- Vinnie Blanche Shaffer of Tedrow, Ohio; album owner; she dated her welcome page 3 February 1884
- Ross Shaffer, signed on 26 June 1888; Vinnie's brother
- Cora Shaffer, signed on 16 August 1885
- Mr. J. J. Shaffer of Spring Hill, Ohio; Vinnie's father John J. Shaffer
- Miss E. Shaffer
- J. D. Shultz of Elkhart, Indiana
- Mrs. J. D. Shultz of Elkhart, Indiana
- E. C. Shwartz of Tedrow, Ohio, signed on 20 February 1887; Vinnie's uncle
- Jennie Smith of Wheeler, Gratiot County, Michigan
- Hattie Smith, signed on 17 April 1887 at Grand Travis [Traverse?], Michigan
- Florence Spring of Tedrow, Ohio, signed on 2 April 1884
- Ed Windisch, signed at Tedrow, Ohio, on 17 May 1886
- Sadie Windisch, signed at Tedrow, Ohio, on 4 March 1884
View Larger Map
Thanks for stopping by!