Small, thick Bible that belonged to Levi Andrews and wife Betsey (Colby) Andrews, with mentions of Nottingham, Weare and Greenfield, all in New Hampshire. The Bible contains birth and death dates, most on the back end papers of the Bible, with more death dates on two paper scraps tucked inside.
The Bible, which measures approximately 7-1/4" by 4-1/4+" by 2", was published in 1824 by D. & G. Bruce and printed by A. Paul of 72 Nassau Street, New York, New York, for the American Bible Society. It has a stamp at top with the name G. H. Johnson or C. H. Johnson.
The inside cover notes that owner Levi Andrews sat in seat 11 at church.
I believe Levi was the Levi Andrews born at Nottingham, New Hampshire, on October 2, 1766, to Levi Andrews and second wife Bridget (Holt) Andrews, but would like a reader's confirmation of that. The son Levi married Betsey Colby, presumably before 1788, the birth year of the first child listed, daughter Mary Andrews.
The Bible contains two papers scraps, one giving the death date of Levi Andrews as November 29, 1825, at age 60, and the other giving the death dates of six of his children.
The first end paper contains a message written in August 1828 either by or about Mrs. Betsey Andrews.
- Mary Andrews, born at Nottingham West on Tuesday, September 9, 1788
- John Andrews, born Monday, July 25, 1791. John died in Springfield, State of ? on July __ [possibly 3 or 13], 1821. See the paper scrap, image farther below.
- Lydia Andrews, born at Greenfield on Friday, September 6, 1793. She was presumably the Lydia Cox of Weare, New Hampshire, who married John Cox on July 5, 1818 and perhaps the Lydia Andrews Cox who died at Malden, Massachusetts, on August 9, 1879.
- Samuel Andrews, born at Greenfield on [Tuesday or Thursday] December __[possibly 10 or 18], 1795 - Thursday makes more sense if the day is the 10th or 18th. See the paper scrap, image farther below.
- Levi Andrews, born at Greenfield on Tuesday, June 7 [no year given, but presumably 1797 or 1798; died aged 13 months. See the paper scrap, image farther below.
- Sewell Andrews, born at Greenfield on Tuesday, May 3, 1800. An online calendar notes that May 3, 1800 was a Saturday, so I may have misinterpreted, or possibly it was June 3, 1800, and the recorder absentmindedly wrote the previous month. See the paper scrap, image farther below.
- Ebenezer Andrews, born at Greenfield on June 18, 1802; Died aged 8 months. See the paper scrap, image farther below.
- Saty [?] Andrews, born at Greenfield on Sunday, November 18, 1804. Possibly Sarah or Sadie or Katy?
- Clarissa Andrews, born at Weare on Wednesday, January 8, 1806
- Hannah Andrews, born at Weare on Friday, July 8, 1808. Hannah Andrews married Daniel Decatur - the link gives a bit of information about Hannah and Daniel and mentions that two of their sons were bitten by a rabid dog, with one of the boys dying of rabies and the other apparently not affected.
- Eliza Andrews, born at Weare on Friday, February 23, 1810. She was presumably the Eliza Locke Andrews who married Amos Franklin Hungerford on June 28, 1831 and who died on February 14, 1888.
- Levi Andrews, born at Weare on Tuesday, April 15, 1812; Died August 5. The calendar shows that April 15, 1812 was a Wednesday. See the paper scrap, image farther below.
- Ambrose Andrews, born at Weare on Tuesday, July 20, 1813. See the paper scrap, image farther below, that indicates he died in 1846.
- Albert Andrews, born at Weare on Monday, May 15, 1815. The writer first indicated July but crossed it out. Could he be this Albert Andrews, who died on June 12, 1861?
- Fanny Andrews, born at Weare on Wednesday, October 1, 1817. Presumably the Fanny Andrews who married Franklin Ordway and died in 1898
- Levi Andrews, born at Weare on Thursday, November 9, 1820.
- Alma Mariah, Born March ____ [could be March 1 or March 7, with the year looking like 1924, but presumably 1824 or 1829 or ?]. This last entry is written in pencil and could be a child from a later generation.
- Levi Andrews Died November 29, 1825 Aged 60
- Deaths of five children of Levi Andrews and Betsey (Colby) Andrews
- Levi Andrews Died Age 13 Months
- Ebenezer Andrews Died Age 8 months
- Levi Andrews Died Aged 16 months
- John Andrews Died Aged 30 years, 1821
- Sewell Andrews Died Age 35 years, 1835
- Ambrose Andrews died June 1846, Aged 33 years