Autograph album that Katie Callaghan of 2538 Butterfield Street, Chicago, Illinois, during the 1880s. She wrote her name on the title page.
The album measures approximately 7-3/4" by 4-3/4" and contains the sentiments of 37 of Katie's relatives and friends. Several pages were torn out of the album before it came into my possession. An alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
Surnames in the Album
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested:
Although I can't be sure, I believe that Katie was the daughter of Irish immigrants Michael Callaghan and Joanna (Roche) Callahan. Several people named Roche inscribed pages in the album.
So, assuming this is the correct Katie, she was born about 1871 in Illinois. Her sister Nell inscribed a page, before or after to marriage to inscriber James Burris.
Another page was inscribed by Lizzie Mulvin, who would marry John E. Callahan, who I believe was Katie's older brother.
S. F. Kennedy, though I'm not sure of the initials, inscribed a page on April 25, 1882 and mentioned a cousin relationship with Katie. Note: three other people named Kennedy inscribed pages in the album.
A page inscribed by W. Roche or M. Roche contains a beautiful design, presumably done by the inscriber himself, as no other designs appear in the album.
If you have further information on Katie Callaghan, or if you feel she was a different person, or if you have information on any of the inscribers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Inscribers in the Album
- Della; inscribed on April 15, 1889
- Mary F. Birmingham; inscribed on March 24, 1882
- T. F. Birmingham. or I. F. Birmingham, or ?; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on March 23, 1882. Not sure of first initial. Possibly Thomas F. Birmingham
- Sarah E. Burries; inscribed on October 23, 1888
- James Burris of Aurora, Illinois; inscribed on October 21, 1886. Inscribed to "Sister Katie". He was the husband of Katie's sister Nell, who also inscribed a page. "May your life be as joyfull as this day has been to me." October 21, 1886 was presumably the day that James and Nell married.
- Sister Nell; presumably Nell (Callaghan) Burris, wife of inscriber James Burris
- Katie Callaghan of 2538 Butterfield Street, Chicago, Illinois; album owner
- H. Fortier
- Mrs. C. A. Ganser
- R. J. Hendricks; inscribed on October 16, 1886
- Maggie M. Hobson; inscribed on November 2, 1883
- Annie J. Hobson; inscribed on April 28, 1883
- Ella M. Kennedy; inscribed on April 23, 1882
- K. E. Kennedy; inscribed on April 23, 1882
- M. Ana Kennedy; not sure of name; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on February 26, 1882.
- S. F. Kennedy; not sure of initials; inscribed on April 25, 1882. Katie's cousin
- William H. Lees; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on October 16, 1886
- Bertha Lindner of Chicago, Illinois, inscribed on October 31, 1888
- Annie Maloney
- Jennie Maloney; inscribed on September 20, 1886
- J. G. Manly; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on January 1, 1882
- Alice McCabe; inscribed on April 5, 1888
- Nellie G. McCabe; inscribed on October 22, 1887
- Rose A. McCabe; inscribed on May 25, 1887
- T. H. Miller, Jr., inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on October 16, 1886
- Lizzie Mulvin; inscribed on March 25, 1889. On August 28, 1889, she would marry John E. Callaghan, who I believe was Katie's older brother
- Tom O'Neill; inscribed on November 17, 1882
- Henry R. Osgood; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on July 21, 1882
- W. H. Peters; inscribed on June 19, 1882
- James J. Quinn; inscribed on July 20, 1886
- Alice E. Rhomann; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on December 29, 1886
- ? Roche; possibly M. Roche or W. Roche. He sketched a beautiful design of flowers and leaves
- Mrs. Roche; inscribed in August, no year written
- Mary J. Schugrue; inscribed on October 3, 1883
- Mrs. B. L. Tait; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on September 8, 1882. Possibly Bridget L. (Roche) Tait
- R. D. Wilds, or R. L. Wilds; inscribed on October 16, 1883
- Annie Wilkerson; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on January 9, 1882
- Arthur Wilkerson; inscribed at Chicago, Illinois, on January 9, 1882