Autograph album that Ella E. (Hunt) Stover of Auburn, Maine, and, possibly, Biddeford, Maine, kept from 1873 through the 1880s, after her marriage to James T. Stover.
The album measures approximately 5-1/4" by 4" and contains the sentiments of 36 of Ella's relatives and friends from Maine and Massachusetts. It's possible that some pages, including any presentation page and title page, are missing.
An alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appears at the end of this post.
Surnames in the Album
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested:
Ella Esther Hunt was born May 24, 1851 at Auburn or Lewiston, Maine, the daughter of Nahum L. Hunt and Hannah B. (Mitchell) Hunt. The 1860 Census of Auburn, Maine, shows that Ella then had two younger brothers, Charles and Franklin, and there may have been other siblings that I missed.
Ella married James T. Stover of Harpswell, Maine, on December 24, 1870 at Auburn, Maine. The couple's daughter Gladys May Stover was born about 1875. About 1881, when she was six years old, Gladys inscribed a page in her mother's album.
Ella died on March 2, 1902. James subsequently married Susan E. Dunham. Ella Esther (Hunt) Stover, daughter Gladys May (Stover) Manser and Gladys' husband Harry Manser, are buried in the Mount Auburn Cemetery at Auburn, Maine.
Although the Censuses show the Ella lived at Auburn, Maine, inscriber Carrie Littlefield of Lewiston, Maine, implied that Ella was living at Biddeford, Maine. Perhaps Ella was just visiting, or perhaps the Stover family did live at Biddeford for a while.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the inscribers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
- U.S. Federal Censuses
- Maine Marriages, 1771-1907 - marriage of Ella E. Hunt and James T. Stover
- Maine Vital Records, 1670-1921 - marriage of Gladys May Stover and Harry Manser
- Maine Death Records, 1617-1922 - death record of Ella E. (Hunt) Stover
Facing pages inscribed on June 8, 1882 by Irving T. Ham and wife Pauline Spear (Webber) Ham of Fall River, Massachusetts:
Inscribers in the Album
- Eva ?; inscribed on June 10, 1874
- Mrs. Sarah E. Allen; inscribed on June 10, 1874
- Lizzie Allen; inscribed on June 10, 1874
- A. F. Ayer; inscribed at Auburn, Maine, on March 30, 1873
- Mrs. L. E. Chase; or Mrs. L. C. Chase; inscribed on March 22, 1874
- Cora A. Davis; inscribed at Auburn, Maine, on March 29, 1874
- Sadie O. Davis; inscribed on April 2, 1873
- Ella M. Davis; inscribed at Auburn, Maine, on March 29, 1874
- Clara Davis; inscribed at Auburn, Maine, on March 29, 1874
- Nelle O. Demeritt of Auburn, Maine
- E. P. Elwell of Fall River, Massachusetts; inscribed on June 1, 1882. Mentions Auburn, Maine
- Mrs. Mary Estes; inscribed at Auburn, Maine, on April 5, 1874
- E. F. Greenwood; inscribed on April 5, 1874
- Abbie Greenwood
- Irving T. Ham of Fall River, Massachusetts; inscribed on 1882-6-8. His wife Pauline Spear (Webber) Ham inscribed the right facing page.
- Pauline Spear Ham of Fall River, Massachusetts; inscribed on June 8, 1882. She was Pauline Spear (Webber) Ham, whose husband Irving T. Ham inscribed the left facing page.
- Lizzie Hartley of Lewiston, Maine
- Lizzie A. Hartley; inscribed at Lewiston, Maine, on September 14, 1877
- Sarah Hartley; inscribed at Lewiston, Maine, on September 25, 1877
- Isaac Hicks; inscribed at Auburn, Maine, on April 5, 1874
- Nellie M. Howard of Auburn, Maine; inscribed on March 18, 1874
- Carrie Littlefield of Lewiston, Maine; inscribed to Mrs. Ella Stover of Biddeford, Maine, who was album owner Ella E. (Hunt) Stover
- Oria C. Lovell of Carver, Massachusetts; inscribed on January 22, 1882
- Sarah F. Marr; inscribed at Biddeford, Maine, on July 30, 1875
- Martha L. Reynolds of Canton, Maine
- Ida Russell of Biddeford, Maine; inscribed on July 30, 1875
- Annie Russell of Biddeford, Maine
- Robert C. Smith of Biddeford, Maine; inscribed on November 29, 1876
- Josie Smith; inscribed at Auburn, Maine, on March 27, 1873
- Emma Smith; inscribed on March 26, no year written
- Augusta Stevens; inscribed on April 1, 1873
- Ella E. (Hunt) Stover of Maine of Biddeford, Maine; album owner
- Gladys May Stover of Auburn, Maine; "Age 6 years". Daughter of James T. Stover and album owner Ella E. (Hunt) Stover
- Abbie H. Swan; inscribed at Auburn, Maine, on April 4, 1873
- Laura W. Vaughn of Fall River, Massachusetts; inscribed on January 22, 1882
- Mrs. ? L. Wing of Lynn, Massachusetts; inscribed on June 2, 1889. Looks like Mrs. Manel L. Wing
- Arthur W. Wing of Malden, Massachusetts