1881-1892 autograph album of Anna Moore of La Porte City, Iowa, with inscriptions from Iowa and Michigan.
The album measures approximately 7-3/4" by 5" and contains the sentiments of 15 of Anna's relatives and friends. An alphabetical list of the inscribers, together with any personal information they offered, appears at the end of this post.
Surnames in the Album
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested:
Anna Moore was born about 1864 at Niles, Michigan, the daughter of Lorenzo Adam Moore and Hannah Ann (Goode) Moore. Two of Anna's siblings, brothers Charles Edward Moore and Harry Moore, inscribed pages in her album.
Anna's cousin, Eva Moore of La Porte City, Iowa, inscribed a page in the album. Anna's father, Lorenzo Adam Moore, and Eva's father, Andrew Young Moore, were brothers.
On March 28, 1888 in Black Hawk County, Iowa, Anna Moore married New York native Timothy H. Holland, son of William Holland and Mary (Powers) Holland. Anna and Timothy moved to Missouri. They had at least one child, daughter Fannie.
It's possible Timothy and Anna are the Timothy Holland, who died in 1918, and Anna Holland, who died in 1919, buried in Plot 19 in the Calvary Cemetery and Mausoleum at St. Louis, Missouri. There's also a Fannie Holland buried in Plot 14.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the inscribers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
The album didn't contain preprinted designs, so it's very possible that the sketch below was done by inscriber Eva Bigsby of Waterloo, Iowa. It's wonderful!
Inscribers in the Album
- Ada E. Bigsby of Waterloo, Iowa; inscribed on July 9, 1882. If it was she who sketched two owls on a branch, rather than a preprinted design, Ada was talented indeed!
- F. R. Gardner; inscribed at La Porte City, Iowa, on July 12, 1882
- Fred Gardner; inscribed at La Porte City, Iowa, on July 7, 1882
- R. B. Hampton; inscribed at Devereaux, Michigan, on March 1, 1882
- George W. Herrick of Devereaux, Michigan
- Clara Hiller of Waterloo, Iowa; inscribed in 1892
- Lydia B. Hiller; inscribed at Waterloo, Iowa, on April 6, 1887
- Miss Anna Moore of La Porte City, Iowa; album owner. Anna was born about 1864 at Niles, Michigan, daughter of Lorenzo Adam Moore and Hannah (Goode) Moore. Anna married Timothy H. Holland on March 28, 1888 in Black Hawk County, Iowa.
- C. E. Moore; inscribed at Albion, Michigan, on December 21, 1881. Charles Edward Moore, Anna's older brother.
- Eva Moore of La Porte City, Iowa; Annie's cousin. Eva was the daughter of Andrew Young Moore, who was a brother to Annie's father Lorenzo Adam Moore.
- Harry Moore; inscribed "At Home" on July 29, 1888. Harry was Annie's younger brother
- Carrie E. Morris of Waterloo, Iowa; inscribed at Millers Creek on 1-6-1882
- Mattie M. Spencer of Shell Rock, Iowa; inscribed on May 29, 1883; "Age 9 years"
- O. W. Spencer of Clarksville, Iowa; inscribed on February 17, 1884. Presumably Orlando W. Spencer
- Willie S. Spencer, Jr.; inscribed at Shell Rock, Iowa, on May 29, 1883
- Ray Wilkison; inscribed on March 26, 1882; Anna's schoolmate