c1890s photograph of a man identified on the reverse as Dr. Erskine; the photograph was taken at the Nealey studio at Winterport, Maine. See another post that features a cabinet photograph that Ferdinand Cortez Nealey took of himself.
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested:
Dr. Erskine may have been Oscar S. Erskine, born January 3, 1865 at Morrill, Maine, the son of George H. Erskine and Eliza J. (Daggett) Erskine. His name appears in Bowdoin College publications for the late 1880s, as attending the Medical School of Maine there, with his preceptors as J. W. Parsons and A. C. Ellingwood; he graduated in 1887.
On November 19, 1888 at Belfast, Maine, Dr. Erskine married Isabel Brier, daughter of Edwin and Clara (Brown) Brier of Belfast. Isabel was born about 1868. At the time of their marriage, Dr. Erskine was living at Prairie Island, presumably Swans Island, but also possibly the reservation in southeastern Minnesota.
They had at least one child, son Harry, born about 1895. Sadly, Dr. Erskine died of consumption in 1904 at his home in Winterport, Maine, after an illness of two years. Isabel died in 1945. They're buried in the Head of Tide Cemetery at Belfast, Maine.
If you have corrections and/or additions or if you know of another Dr. Erskine in the Winterport, Maine, area, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
- Maine Vital Records, 1670-1921 - birth of Oscar S. Erskine
- Maine Marriages, 1771-1907 - marriage of Oscar S. Erskine and Isabel Brier
- U.S. Federal Census
- Bowdoin College catalog of 1887 - plus Medical School of Maine
- U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 - application of Dr. Oscar S. Erskine
- JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, Volume 43 - contains notice of death of Dr. Oscar S. Erskine
- Maine Vital Records, 1670-1921 - death of Dr. Oscar S. Erskine
- Maine, Nathan Hale Cemetery Collection, ca. 1780-1980 - burial of Dr. O. S. Erskine