September 26, 1866 letter from Elvira Anna (Dearborn) Porter (1835-1901), "Anna", posted at Augusta, Maine, and sent to her uncle Abel Hodgkins (1807-1874) at New Sharon, Maine. Anna's mother, Dorothy J. (Hodgkins) Dearborn (1816-1891) was Abel's sister. At the time the letter was written, Anna was married to Horatio Chapman Porter (1830-1905).
The letter contains instructions for Abel to meet his sister Dorothy at the station at Belgrade, Maine, and later for Abel and Dorothy to meet Dorothy's husband Franklin at Kendall's Mills, presumably at Fairfield, Maine.
See another post that features four letters to Abel Hodgkins' daughter, Mrs. Lovina Ann (Hodgkins) Stinchfield Norton of New Sharon, Maine. One of the letters was written by Anna's mother Dorothy J. (Hodgkins) Dearborn on May 26, 1873 at Foxcroft, Maine, where she and husband Franklin were living at the time. Abel was lodging with them, and the letter discusses his precarious health and spirits.
From brief online research, hopefully correct - corrections and additions requested:
Sources, records from:
- Genealogy of the Ancestry and Descendants of Captain Francis Davis, Founder of Davisville, New Hampshire, and of Some of the Posterity of His Brother, Gideon Davis: With Records of Many Other Descendants of Francis Davis, the Emigrant from Wales to America, compiled by Francis W. Davis and published in 1910
- Lovina Ann Hodgkins, born October 14, 1833 at Vienna, Maine; married 1) Hiram Adison Stinchfield who died shortly after their 1853 marriage; 2) Benjamin Norton, whom Lovina married in 1855 and who died shortly after enlisting into Company G of the Sixteenth Maine in 1862. Lovina and Benjamin had a daughter, Carrie May Norton, born in July 30, 1856.
- Jacob Tilton Hodgkins, born October 12, 1835 at Vienna, Maine. Disabled during service in the Civil War. Jacob married Ladora A. Luce and had at least three children.
- Joanna Davis Hodgkins, born July 10, 1837 at Vienna, Maine; Joanna married Charles Reed and had at least one child, who died in infancy
- Hannah Jane Hodgkins, born June 2, 1840 at Vienna, Maine; married Dr. Pliny Hume West, who, after Hannah's death, married Hannah's niece, Carrie May Norton, daughter of Hannah's older sister Lovina Ann (Hodgkins) Stinchfield Norton
- Abby Maria Hodgkins, born February 17, 1842 at Vienna, Maine; Abby married Henry Stewart Mayhead
Elvira Anna (Dearborn) Porter, "Anna" (1835-1901), was born April 16, 1835 at Vienna, Maine, daughter of Franklin Dearborn and Dorothy J. (Hodgkins) Dearborn, who was Abel Hodgkins' sister. On October 2, 1853 at Vienna, Maine, Anna married Horatio Chapman Porter (1830-1905), son of James Harlow Porter and Lurenda (Gould) Porter. Horatio was born at Vienna, Maine, on January 6, 1830. I didn't find a record of any children for Anna and Horatio, who are buried in the Vienna Village Cemetery at Vienna, Maine.
Augusta, Sept 26, 1866
I will write a few lines to let you know that Mother [Dorothy J. (Hodgkins) Dearborn] will go home Saturday. Father [Franklin Dearborn] is going to Portland Friday and going home Saturday and wants you and Mother to meet him at Kendals Mills [presumably Kendall's Mills in Fairfield, Maine]. Horatio [Horatio Porter, Anna's husband] and I came down today. Aunt Abby Knowlton [Abel's sister Abigail N. (Hodgkins) Knowlton, wife of Selden Knowlton] is here. Please excuse haste for it is about car time.
Anna Porter [Elvira Anna (Dearborn) Porter]
love to all
Mother is here.
Mother will be on board the cars when you get to Belgrade at 4 o'clock P.M. so be there for Father wants you to be sure and come.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, please leave a comment or contact me directly.