Note of February 6, 2017: Make sure to check the comments section for family information provided by a descendant.
Circa 1886 cabinet photograph of a woman identified on the reverse as Mary Ann (Chesney) Baker, wife of Rev. Jacob Baker. She was born in Maryland but was living in Iowa at the time of the photograph.
This photograph is owned by friend Bernadette, who relayed it to me in the hopes of reuniting it with family.
The reverse of the photograph is a family historian's dream, though there are a few discrepancies from the information found online.
Mrs. Mary Ann Chesney - Baker wife of Rev. Jacob Baker, born at Havre de Grace, Md. Feb. 1st 1812 - Died Mar 1 1894. Daughter of Thomas Chesney & Hannah Chesney (ne Mitchel), Sister of Kent; Franklin; Jno E.; Eliza & Sarah. Mother of O. H.; Geo. E.; Jno. F.; Mary C.; H. C.; E. R.; W. F.; and S. S.
Married Dec 16th 1829 at Brownville [Brownsville], Ind - Lived there 10 yrs Lived 10 yrs at Abingdon, Ills & Forty-one years 4-1/2 miles N E of Sidney, Iowa, Fremont Co. Buried in the Parsley Cemetery in same grave with husband to whom she had been married sixty four years. Age 82 - Great Piety. Portrait taken at age 74.
From brief online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions requested]
Some online references have Mary Ann (Chesney) Baker's birth date as February 2, 1812, but the date on the photograph and the Iowa Cemetery Records agree on the date of February 1, 1812. Whether Mary Ann's mother's maiden name was Mitchel or Mitchell, I'm not sure, as most references have it as Mitchell. From what I've been able to determine, the other children of Thomas and Hannah (Mitchel or Mitchell) Chesney were:
- Kent Mitchell Chesney (1809-1892) - "Kent"
- John Edward Chesney (1815-1901) - "Jno E."
- James Benjamin Franklin Chesney (1818-1894) - "Franklin"
- George Chesney (1818-?)
- Hannah Eliza Chesney (1824-1908) - "Eliza"
- Sarah Candace Chesney (1824-1895) - "Sarah"
Their children: please let me know if I've missed one
- Orlando Harrison Baker (1830-1913) - "O. H."
- George E. Baker (1832-1874) - "Geo. E."
- John Franklin Baker (1837-?) - "Jno. F."
- Mary Candace Baker (1840-1916) - "Mary C." - See the comments section for more information on Mary and her descendants
- Henry Chesney Baker (1843-1917) - "H. C."
- Erasmus Richard Baker (1846-1916) - "E. R."
- Wilbur Fiske Baker (1849-1935) - "W. F."
- Samuel Schwartz Baker (1855-1914) - "S. S."
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, please leave a comment or contact me directly.