1880s autograph album that belonged to Louah M. Dix of Olcott, New York. She would marry Frank Mead Bradley, whose autograph album is the feature of another post.
The album measures approximately 7" x 4-1/4" and contains the sentiments of 28 of Louah's relatives, friends and schoolmates at Wilson Union School at Wilson, New York. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the signers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
From brief online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Louah M. Dix was born about April 1864, the daughter of Pardon Tillinghast Dix and Marie Antoinette (McKee) Dix. Louah's maternal grandfather, Anthony McKee, inscribed a page in her album on April 26, 1882. His daughter Martha A. McKee also inscribed a page.
Louah had, I think, five siblings. Two of them inscribed pages in her husband Frank Mead Bradley's album. Louah's sister Winnifred Dix, inscribed a page in Frank's album at Olcott, New York, on June 17, 1888. Louah's brother Burt Tillinghast Dix of Olcott, New York, inscribed a page in Frank's album on March 4, 1888. Interestingly, neither Louah nor Frank signed a page in each other's album.
Louah and Frank farmed at Somerset, New York, and raised five children:
- Marion Dix Bradley, born in 1889
- Ora Antoinette Bradley, born in 1891
- Winnifred Dix Bradley, born 1895; died young in 1903
- George Tillinghast Bradley, born in 1897
- Frank Dix Bradley, born in 1909.
- Written in German, signed at Wilson, New York, on June 22, 1882. Name possibly Augustin F. Rummel
- Jennie ?, signed February, 1883
- Jessie Bonesteel, signed at Wilson, New York, on June 2, 1882
- Jonas W. Brown, signed at Lockport, New York, on February 3, 1882
- Joseph Brown of Ransom, Michigan, in Hillsdale County; middle initial L or S
- J. Elmer Brown of Wilson, New York, signed on June 1, 1882 at the Wilson Union School.
- Will Carlton; shared the page with Isabel Stout
- Mattie Case of Wilson, New York, signed on October 16, 1882; Louah's schoolmate
- Walter L. Case of Wilson, New York, signed on October 6, 1882
- Sarah Cowan of Youngstown, New York, signed at W.U.S. on June 1, 1882; Wilson Union School
- Louah M. Dix of Olcott, New York; album owner. Tucked in the album is her calling card with her married name: Mrs. Frank M. Bradley.
- Lena R. Doty of Lockport, New York
- Ida M. Hewitt of Wilson, New York, signed on June 23, 1882
- Hattie D. Hill of Lockport, New York, signed on February 19, 1887
- Carrie Hutchings, signed on June 1 [no year written], at Wilson Union School, Class of 1882; "your friend and fellow sufferer in Botany"
- Mary Lewis of Ransomville, New York, signed on October 17, 1882
- Anthony McKee, signed on April 26, 1882; Louah's "grandfather and friend"
- Martha A. McKee, signed on March 8, 1882. Sister of Louah's mother Marie Antoinette (McKee) Dix.
- Florine D. Norton of Little Falls, New York, in Herkimer County, signed on July 28, 1888
- E. M. Shaw, signed on August 19, 1881; Louah's cousin
- Alice M. Sherman of Whitewater, Wisconsin
- Mary L. Sherman of Lockport, New York, signed on September 23, 1881
- Lillie Smith of Wilson, New York, signed on October 18, 1882
- Isabel Stout, signed on February 2, 1885; shared the page with Will Carlton
- D. E. Stout
- Emma Swick, signed on June 22, 1882; Louah's schoolmate
- Jennie E. Vincent, signed at Olcott, New York
- Nellie M. Whitney of Wilson, New York, signed on December 6, 1882; Louah's schoolmate