1884-1892 autograph album that belonged to Ida Mills of Bath, New York, before and after her marriage to E. B. Crowe. Signers mentioned what I believe to be Sonora, New York, and Sanova, New York. I may have misread some of them, or all of them.
The album, in rough condition, measures approximately 6" x 3-3/4" and contains the sentiments of 38 of Ida's relatives, in-laws and friends. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the signers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post. Many of the names are hard to decipher, so I may have gotten them wrong.
From brief online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Ida Mills was born September 7, 1868 at Ottawa, Michigan, the daughter of Aaron and Aurilla (Moss) Mills. One of Ida's siblings, sister Lydia P. Mills, inscribed a page in her album, a page shared with Edd Burd and Frank M?. Lydia and Edward E. Burd married about 1897. Edward's mother, Sarah Ann (Mills) Burd, was the sister of Ida's father Aaron Mills.
Two other people named Burd signed pages in the album, one of whom, Mary M. Burd, called herself Ida's cousin on the page inscribed at Hammondsport, New York, on November 19, 1884. A Mel Burd of Hammondsport, New York, also inscribed a page. And two other people names Mills inscribed pages in the album: Edward Mills and Henry J. Mills, both of Savona, New York.
Although I haven't found an actual marriage record, it appears that Ida married E. B. Crowe during the 1884-1885 time frame of the album. One signer, Augusta Ames, mentions Ida's recent or upcoming marriage on the page she inscribed at Savona, New York, on July 30, 1884.
E. B. Crowe himself signed a page as "Your Husband", on "1-3-1885" at Sonora, New York. I believe he was Eli B. Crowe or Crow, son of William and Emily Crow/Crowe of Bath, New York.
One signer, G. Crow, called himself Ida's brother. Assuming that E. B. Crowe was Eli B. Crowe, the signer may have been Germaine Crow/Crowe of Bath, New York.
Eli had a sister Mary Crow/Crowe. She may have been the L. Mary Crowe who inscribed a page at Bath, New York, on August 30, 1885.
By 1900, Ida was living with her parents at Urbana, New York. She was listed as married, but E. B. Crowe was not listed in the household. She's still shown as married in the 1910 and 1920 Censuses, living with her widowed mother Aurilla (Moss) Mills, again with no E. B. Crowe listed.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
F [?] Rivkin inscribed a page with a beautiful design on May 23, 1884. He called himself a "Stranger", so he may not have been from Steuben County, New York, or even from New York at all.
Surnames in the album - though I may have misconstrued some of them
|B||M ? ||Scofield|
|Burd ||Mills ||Seager|
|Crowe Crow ||Murvin||Sullivan|
Signers in the album [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- B. D. Vunk Batty; signed on April 29, 1884; not sure of surname
- D. G. or D. C., signed on May 25 [year obscured], at Hammondsport, New York
- E. D. ?, signed at Sonora, New York, on April 17, 1885. Surname possibly Lewis
- A friend, signed in 1884
- Augusta Ames, signed at Savona, New York, on July 30, 1884; mentions Ida's marriage
- John Austin of Sonora, New York
- Edd Burd, signed in 1892; shared the page with Lydia Mills and Frank M? Lydia and Edward E. Burd married about 1897. Edward's mother was a Mills, related to Lydia's father Aaron Mills;
- Mary M. Burd, signed at Hammondsport, New York, on November 19, 1884; Ida's cousin
- Mell Burd, signed at Hammondsport, New York, on May 25 [no year written]
- E. B. Crowe, signed on "1-3-1885" at Sonora, New York; "Your Husband", presumably Eli B. Crowe or Crow.
- "Your Brother G. Crow". He was Ida's brother-in-law, possibly Germain Crow of Bath, New York
- L. May Crowe, signed at Bath, New York, on August 30, 1885
- Hurman Dutton, signed at Bath, New York, in April 1884.
- Abel Houck, signed on June 22, 1884
- Delia Labar of Sonora, New York
- M. J. Leiter or N. J. Leiter of East Clarence, New York, signed at Bath, New York, on September 21, 1884
- Dora M., signed on May 15; possibly Dora Mills
- Frank M? of Bradford, New York; shared the page with Lydia Mills and Edd Burd
- Ida Mills of Sonora, New York - her 1880s autograph album before and after her marriage to Eli B. Crowe
- Edward Mills of Sonora, New York, signed on January 25, 1885
- Henry J. Mills of Savona, New York
- Your sister Lydia Mills, signed in 1892; shared the page with Edd Burd and Frank M? Lydia and Edward E. Burd married about 1897. Edward's mother was a Mills, related to Lydia's father Aaron Mills;
- Charles Morse of New York, signed May 7, 1884
- Minnie Murvin, signed at H?ville, New York, on May 14, 1884
- Mrs. Alvah Orcutt of Savona, New York, signed on July 31, 1884
- G. W. Patterson of Rochester, New York, signed on July 17, 1884
- Sam or S. M. Phillips, signed at Hammondsport, New York
- F. Rivkin, signed on May 23, 1884; initial. Beautiful design.
- Lizzie Sayer, signed on July 17, 1884
- Andrew Rolland Scofield, or Andrew Bolland Scofield, signed at Sonora, New York
- E. L. Seager, signed on June 1, 1884, at Sonora, New York
- Mr. O. D. Sherzer; not sure of surname
- P. K. Sullivan, signed on September 25, 1884
- James B. Vankeuren, signed at ?, New York, on January 22, 1885
- Frank Vankeuren of Sonora, New York, signed on January 3, 1885
- Harry Vankeuren, signed at Sonora, New York, on May 7, 1884
- George Byron Wheeler of Penn Yan, New York, signed on February 23, 1885
- A. Woolever, signed at Bath, New York, on May 14, 1884
- J. P. Woolever, or J. L. Woolever
Steuben County, New York
Thanks for stopping by!