1880s autograph album of Louisa M. Schmitt of Buffalo, New York.
I found several women named Louisa Schmitt in the Buffalo, New York, area. Based on the ages of some of the signers who mentioned a possible school affiliation, I'm guessing that this Louisa was born about 1872, which might make her the daughter of George and Louisa (Walter or Walker) Schmitt.
A Louisa M. Schmitt, perhaps the album owner's mother or other relative, inscribed a page in a German style of handwriting.
Several signers mentioned "No. 31", which may have been the school that they and Louisa attended.
One signer, Fritz Holzscheiter, inscribed several pages in the album, including the first one after the ownership page.
The album measures approximately 7" x 4-1/4" and contains the sentiments of over 20 people. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the signers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
If, based on the list of signers, you have a theory as to the identity of Louisa M. Schmitt, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Surnames in the album
|D||Krug ||Sendker |
Signers in the album [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- F. H. Baker, signed on January 7, 1885
- Nellie E. Coggins, signed on November 3, 1885
- M. A. Crellin, signed on January 20, 1886; possibly Mary A. Crellin.
- Minnie Dietzel, signed on April 18, 1885
- B. A. Doyle, signed on Monday, January 18, 1886
- Emeline Gates, signed on January 12, 1885. No. 31 [school ?]
- Anna M. Goodfellow, signed at Buffalo, New York, in January 1885
- Fritz Holzscheiter, signed in 1885; he inscribed several pages in the album.
- Catherine ?; signed on March 22 [no year written], at Buffalo, New York. Possibly Catherine Hubbers or Catherine Stubbers. Inscribed two pages
- Mary E. Killilee, signed on December 23, 1886
- Rosa Krug, signed on January 10, 1886
- Edward Krug, signed on September 18, 1887
- Katie Lauth, signed on June 13, 1887
- Mrs. M. May, signed on March 22 [no year written], at Buffalo, New York
- Josie McFarland, signed on January 14, 1885. No. 31, presumably a school.
- Walter Ritter
- Louisa M. Schmitt of Buffalo, New York; album owner
- Name is possibly Louisa M. Schmitt, written in a German style; signed on February 22, 1885. This may have been the album owner's mother
- Martha Schnitzer, signed on March 25, 1889
- Pauline H. Sendker, signed on February 15, 1888
- Hattie Sendker, signed on February 15, 1888
- Sarah E. Taggert, signed in January 1885. No. 31, presumably a school
- P. H. Traum; possibly Philip H. Traum
- Louisa Traum, signed on April 8, 1885