1893-1908 autograph album of Beryl F. Van Buren of Greene, New York. She wrote her name on the inside front cover and on a page inside.
The album measures approximately 5-1/2" x 3-1/4" and contains the sentiments of 23 of Beryl's relatives, friends, schoolmates and teacher. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the signers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Beryl F. Van Buren was born on January 15, 1889 in New York, the daughter of Charles E. and Amy (Baxter) Van Buren. Amy inscribed a page in her daughter's album at Greene, New York, on July 2, 1896.
Beryl's sister Marguerite Van Buren inscribed a page on February 1, 1905. She would marry Paul L. Kniskern, son of Peter and Emily J. (Conrow) Kniskern, on May 26, 1917.
On 11 May 1912 in Chenango County, New York, Beryl F. Van Buren married Eugene Willey, son of Sereno E. Willey and Hattie A. (Stanton) Willey. They settled at Greene, New York, and raised, I think, five children. Beryl died in 1963.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Beryl's teacher, Kathryn Rooney, inscribed a page on February 26, 1906.
The last page in the album was inscribed by Linn Langdon Corbly of Lewistown, Montana, on February 2, 190?, possibly 1908. She would marry William John Duke in 1911. Read more about the Corbly family here.
Surnames in the album
|C||P||Van Buren |
Signers in the album [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Olive May Ayers; Beryl's schoolmate
- Helen Bird; Beryl's schoolmate
- Florence Brink; remember March 2, 1907
- Merton Brown of McDonough, New York, signed on July 1, 1896
- Grace O. Brown of Tyner, New York, signed on December 31, 1906
- Emilie Cleveland, signed on February 23, 1906
- Linn L. Corbly of Lewisown, Montana, signed on February 2, 1908. Linn Langdon Corbly, who would marry William John Duke in 1911
- Morills E. Crandall of Greene, New York
- Alice L. Flanagan of Smithville, New York, signed on December 7, 1893
- Heaman Hayes, signed on February 24, 1906; not sure of given name - could be Herman but looks more like Heaman
- Irene O'Brien; Beryl's schoolmate
- Charles Pierce of Coventry, New York, signed on February 4, 1893
- Olin P. Pierce of Coventry, New York, signed on February 4, 1894 [could be 1893 - strikeover]
- Eva Robinson of Chenango Forks, New York, signed on December 5 [no year written]
- Kathryn Rooney, signed on February 26, 1906; Beryl's "loving Teacher"
- Lee Smith, signed on April 7, 1905; Beryl's schoolmate
- Bessie Smith; Beryl's schoolmate
- Jessie L. Stratton of South Oxford, New York, signed on December 25, 1893
- Pearl Tanner
- Miss Beryl F. Van Buren of Greene, New York; album owner
- "Your loving Mother", signed at Greene, New York, on July 2, 1896. She was Amy (Baxter) Van Buren, Beryl's mother.
- Marguerite Van Buren, signed on February 1, 1905; Beryl's sister
- Grace A. Watrous. "Don't forget the night we tied our toes together; also the night I talked too much"
- Cora B. Wheeler of Greene, New York, signed on December 7, 1893