1882-1884 autograph album that belonged to Rowene M. Brooks of Catskill, New York. See another post that features Rowene's 1885-1936 autograph album.
The album is approximately 5-1/4" x 3-1/4" and contains the sentiments of 28 of Rowene's relatives, friends and schoolmates. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the senders, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post. Several illustrated pages are scattered throughout the album. Some of the people inscribed pages in both albums.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Rowene Brooks was born in September 1868, the daughter of John Morrison Brooks and Mary Jane (Chase) Brooks. About 1892 Rowene married William Webber, who was born about January 1865 in New York. The other album contains pages inscribed by William Webber and two of their granddaughters, Morrell Fosdick Webber and Adrienne M. Webber in 1936, when the album apparently came to light.
Rowene and William farmed at Coxsackie, New York, and had, I believe, two children, one of whom died young; the other, Robert Brooks Webber, was the father of Morrell and Adrienne.
William Webber died in 1943, and Rowene (Brooks) Webber, a centenarian, in 1970. They're buried with Brooks and Webber family members at the Town of Catskill Cemetery.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Two of Rowene's cousins inscribed pages in her album. One was F. Powell of Athens, presumably New York. He may have been Forrest Powell.
The other cousin was Georgianna Goes, daughter of Barent Goes and Sarah Jane (Brooks) Goes, who was a sister to Rowene's father John Morrison Brooks. Georgianna inscribed her page on January 18, 1884.
Signers in the album [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Leelah, signed on January 23, 1883; presumably Leelah Bates
- Nellie, signed at Jefferson, New York, on February 15, 1883
- Annie Abeel, signed on January 29, 1883
- Florence E. Ayers of Catskill, New York, signed on December 19, 1883
- Jennie D. Baurhyte of Catskill Station, New York, signed on February 8, 1882
- Rowene Brooks, 1882; album owner of Catskill, New York
- Julia F. Bulkley, signed at Catskill, New York, on February 18, 1882
- Flora M. Daniels of West Cam?, signed on January 12, 1884
- Cora J. Fiero, signed at Cairo, New York, on January 20, 1884
- May Foote, signed at Catskill, New York, on February 9, 1883
- May E. Gaylord, signed at Catskill, New York, on December 14, 1883
- Georgianna Goes, signed on January 18, 1884; Rowene's cousin, who was the daughter of Barent Goes and Sarah Jane (Brooks) Goes, who was a sister to Rowene's father John Morrison Brooks.
- Anna Irwin of Catskill, New York, signed on January 30, 1883
- Zella Jennings of Freehold, New York, signed on December 19, 1883
- Florence Layman, signed at Catskill, New York, on February 5, 1883
- Gertie Lewis of Catskill, New York, signed on February 19, 1883; Gertrude Lewis
- Laura Lohmann, signed at Catskill, New York, on "2-2-1883"
- Annie O'Brien, signed at Catskill, New York, on "1-7-1884"
- F. Powell of Athens, New York, signed on March 2, 1882; Rowene's cousin; possibly Forrest Powell
- Ida Rainhart, signed at Catskill, New York, on January 26, 1883; Rowene's schoolmate
- Lizzie D. Rennie, signed on January 30, 1883
- Mary M. Rundell, signed at Catskill, New York, on January 16, 1883
- Minnie Russ, signed at Catskill, New York, on February 7, 1883
- Josie Smith, signed at Catskill, New York, on February 7, 1882
- Mary B. Story of Catskill, New York, signed on February 8, 1883
- Barent W. Stryker of Gilboa, New York, signed at Catskill, New York, on January 16, 1883
- Mamie VanDerhoef, signed on February 5, 1883
- Clara Webber, signed on January 26, 1883
- Anna L. White of Cairo, New York, signed on January 5, 1884