1890-1896 autograph album of Lora Belle Harrison of Monroe, Oregon.
The album is approximately 7-1/4" x 4-1/2" and contains the sentiments of 38 of Lora's relatives and friends. An alphabetical surname list and an alphabetical list of the signers, together with any personal information they offered, appear at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Lora Belle Harrison was born March 23, 1844 at Penewawa, Washington, the daughter of Asbury C. Harrison, about whom I've found very little information, and Eudocia Esther (Hammer) Harrison, some of whose siblings signed pages in the album.
Lora had, I believe, two siblings. Her sister Edith May Harrison signed a page as Eda May on April 1, 1891.
The Frank who signed a page in the album may have been Lora's older brother Frank Harrison.
Several of Lora's maternal aunts and uncles signed pages in her album, as well as several Hammer cousins. Please refer to the list below for specifics.
Two of Lora's teachers signed pages in her album: Dorothea Nash on December 5, 1895, and Ethel M. Starr on October 30, 1894.
On June 20, 1906 at Colfax, Washington, Lora Belle Harrison married Peter Sheridan, son of James and Ann (Kennedy) Sheridan. Peter was born January 6, 1883 at Butter Creek, Oregon. Lora and Peter settled at Umatilla County, Oregon, and raised a daughter Mary Jane. Sadly, Lora died before her time, on January 11, 1915 at Walla Walla, Washington.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Surnames in the album
Signers in the album [Note: Given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Frank; possibly Lora's older brother Frank Harrison
- Alice, signed on February 29, 1896
- Grace, signed on December 16, 1895 at the Mountain Home School
- Carrie E. ?, possibly Maher, signed on September 11, 1891
- J. E. Fullington
- Walter George, signed at Monroe, Oregon, on May 1, 1895
- Arthur H. George, signed on January 27, 1895
- M. George of Monroe, Oregon, signed on January 27, 1895
- Lizzie George, signed on January 27, 1895 at Monroe, Oregon
- May George, signed at Mt. Pisgah, Oregon
- Grandma Hammer, signed on November 3, 1891; Lora's maternal grandmother Hannah (Cox) Hammer
- Aunt Anna Hammer, signed on December 26, 1890; possibly the wife of Goldsmith Hammer, who was a brother to Lora's mother Eudocia Esther (Hammer) Harrison.
- Amos K. Hammer, signed at Monroe, Oregon, on September 8, 1891; brother of Lora's mother Eudocia Esther (Hammer) Harrison.
- Cousin Arthur Hammer of Echo, Oregon; son of Josephus Hammer, a brother of Lora's mother Eudocia Esther (Hammer) Harrison
- Aunt Nora Hammer, signed on October 2, 1891. Wife of Ellis Enos Hammer, a brother to Lora's mother Eudocia Esther (Hammer) Harrison.
- Cousin Viola May Hammer, signed on July 15, 1894. Daughter of A. I. Hammer, a brother to Lora's mother, Eudocia Esther (Hammer) Harrison.
- Cousin Alva, signed on July 18, 1894. Presumably Alva Lee Hammer, son of Goldsmith Hammer, a brother to Lora's mother Eudocia Esther (Hammer) Harrison.
- Cousin Edd of Echo, Oregon, signed on February 10, 1894. Presumably Albert Ed Hammer, son of Josephus Hammer, a brother to Lora's mother Eudocia Esther (Hammer) Harrison.
- Lora Belle Harrison of Monroe, Oregon - album owner
- Sister Eda May Harrison, signed on April 1, 1891. Edith May Harrison
- Jessie Hawley, signed on October 2, 1891
- Sylva Hawley, signed on October 4, 1891
- Anna Hawley, signed on January 7, 1892
- Ola Hawley, signed on October 2, 1891
- Rose Horton, signed at Mountain Home, Oregon, on February 25, 1896
- John Horton, signed on February 13, 1896
- Viola Horton, signed at Mill Brook, Oregon
- A. C. Horton
- A. Larkin, signed at Monroe, Oregon on January 7, 1891
- Velle M. Mendenhall of Foster, Oregon, signed on January 18 1894. Possibly Arvilla Vellora Mendenhall.
- Anna Mendenhall, signed at Foster, Oregon, on April 6, 1894.
- Minnie E. Morgan
- Dorothea Nash, signed on December 5, 1895; Lora's teacher
- Madeline Nichols
- H. B. Nichols, signed on September 11, 1891
- Sylva Nichols, signed on August 20, 1891; can't decipher middle initial, but I believe she was Sylva Grace Nichols
- L. A. Peek, signed on October 24, 1894; not sure of middle initial
- Ethel M. Starr, signed on October 30, 1894; Lora's teacher
- Rena Woodcock, signed on August 14, 1895