1892 autograph album kept by someone nicknamed "Goodie" while a student at Broaddus College in West Virginia.
The college is now known as Alderson-Broaddus College. In 1892, according to the college website, the college was located at Clarksburg, West Virginia, though some of the autographed pages seem to imply it was located at Flemington.
I don't know if Goodie was derived from a given name or a surname or if Goodie was a male or female, or just an all-around "good" person. I'd be interested in seeing a catalog that lists students in 1892 to see if a name jumps out at me.
The album is approximately 7" x 4-1/4" and contains just a few autographs of the owner's fellow students at Broaddus College. Illustrated pages are interspersed throughout the album. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
Hettie Brohard signed at page at Flemington, West Virginia, on 17 March 1892.
Anna Morrison signed a page at Broaddus College on 29 February 1892, "Leap Year"
Dotia White signed a page at Camden, West Virginia, in Lewis County, on 11 February 1892.
Marellah White signed a page at Broaddus College on 11 February 1892.
Sallie Bowles, signed a page on 13 April 1892.
Emma signed a page at Clarksburg, West Virginia, on 15 January 1892.
Pleasie McCord signed a page at Broaddus College on 22 January 1892.
Willie Langford signed a page at West, West Virginia, on 11 February 1892.
Daisy Bond signed a page at Churchville, West Virginia, on 19 January 1892.
Lottie E. Cooper of Oak Hill, West Virginia, signed a page at Broaddus College on 29 May 1892.
Gertie signed a page at Broaddus College on 12 April 1892.
Nettie Davidson signed a page at Broaddus College at Flemington, West Virginia, in 1892.
The illustrated pages:
If you have a theory as to Goodie's identity, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
White (two entries)
Alphabetical List of Signers: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- "Goodie"; nickname of the owner of the autograph album
- Emma, signed at Clarksburg, West Virginia, on 15 January 1892. "our year at 'Broaddus', We have spent many, many pleasant hours together. Though lessons are sometimes hard, still we must work if we expect to succeed."
- Gertie, signed at Broaddus College, on 12 April 1892 " 'May your life have just enough shadow to temper the rays of the sun'. Lovingly your friend"
- Daisy Bond, signed at Churchville, West Virginia, on 19 January 1892 "Goodie, never gorget the good times we have had at Broaddus College. Your true friend."
- Sallie Bowles of Wilton, West Virginia, signed on 13 April 1892 "Dear Friend Goodie, In memory's casket, Drop one pearl for me. Ever your friend."
- Hettie Brohard of Clarksburg, West Virginia, signed at Flemington, West Virginia, at Broaddus College, on 17 March 1892 "Dear Goodie: - Guard well they thought; our thoughts are heard in heaven. Always remember the 'measles'. Your friend"
- Lottie C. Cooper of Oak Hill, West Virginia, signed at Broaddus College, on 29 May 1892 "Dear Goodie, Farewell and if by distance parted We see each other's face no more, Ah, may we with the faithful hearted, Meet beyond this parting shore. Lovingly your friend."
- Nettie Davidson, signed at Flemington, West Virginia; student at Broaddus College in 1892
- Willie Langford, signed at Weston, West Virginia, on 11 February 1892 " 'Broaddus', Moderation is the silken string Running through the pearl chain of all the virtues. Your loving schoolmate
- Pleasie McCord, signed at Broaddus College on 22 January 1892 "Compliments of your friend"
- Anna Morrison, signed at Broaddus College on 29 February 1892 "Leap Year" "Friend Goodie, There are few friends in this wide world Whose love is fond and true, But Goodie, when you count them o'er, Place me among the few." Anna underlined the first and second "few" and "me".
- Dotia White, signed at Camden, West Virginia, in Lewis County, on 11 February 1892. "Dear Goodie, 'Life has much of sun and shadow, All must have some cloud & rain, Every heart its sorrow knoweth, Every soul its secret pain'. Ever remember our happy days at 'Broaddus' "
- Marellah White, signed at Broaddus College on 11 January 1892. "Dear Goodie: - I wish you health, I wish you wealth, I wish you a golden store, I wish you Heaven after death, How could I wish you more."