[Note: Please read the comments section for a reader's informative comment of 13 February 2013.]
Autograph album that was presented to Ethel M. Fulton of Oakwood, Maryland, by her father William M. Fulton on 30 November 1900.
The seller of this album indicated that there might be a family relationship between Ethel and inventor Robert Fulton, as several of the signers came from the area of his birthplace.
The album is approximately 7-3/4" by 5" and contains over 30 pages signed by Ethel herself, her relatives and friends. An alphabetical list of the signers in the album appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Ethel M. Fulton was born in Maryland about March 1887, the daughter of William M. Fulton. Ethel's mother had apparently died by the time of the 1900 Census, and I wasn't able to learn her identity.
I'm wondering if her maiden name was Keen, judging from the signers named Keen who called themselves Ethel's cousin. Hopefully a reader with knowledge of this family will clear up the mystery.
Ethel's paternal grandparents were Mensal [or a variant] William Fulton and Hannah Cecilia (Osborn) Fulton.
If you have corrections to the information above or additions to it on the Fulton and Keen families or on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Alphabetical list of signers: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Allie, signed 14 December 1900; Ethel's cousin
- Addie, signed 21 December 1900; Ethel's cousin
- Ethel M. Badders, signed on 14 December 1900
- Ella R. Bicknell
- William M. Fulton of Oakwood, Maryland, father of the album owner, Ethel M.Fulton. He signed at least two pages, possibly three.
- Aunt Hanna, signed on 6 December 1900; she was married to Edgar F. Fulton, Ethel's father's older brother
- Annie, signed on 6 December 1900; Ethel's cousin. Possibly Annie C. Fulton, daughter of Joseph T. and Alice (Stewart) Fulton. Joseph was Ethel's father's younger brother
- Marie Fulton, signed 6 December 1900; Ethel's sister
- Ethel's Uncle Edgar, signed 21 December 1903. Edgar F. Fulton, older brother of Ethel's father William W. Fulton
- John R. Fulton of Oakwood, Maryland, signed on 20 August 1903; Ethel's cousin John Robert Fulton, son of Ethel's father's younger brother Joseph T. Fulton
- John C. Fulton of Pleasant Grove, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, signed 6 August 1903
- Alice Fulton of Pleasant Grove, Pennsylvania, signed 2 August 1903; Ethel's aunt
- Ethel M. Fulton of Oakwood, Maryland, album owner
- Bessie M. Gallagher, signed at Oakwood, Maryland on 16 April 1903
- Cora Grubb, signed 21 December 1900
- Florence K. Hall, signed 7 December 1901
- Mollie S. Keen, signed 26 November 1905
- Leslie Keen; Ethel's cousin
- Annie C. Keen of Colora, Maryland. Possibly the daughter of Henry D. Keen and sister of signers Abbie and India Keen
- D. E. Keen of West Nottingham, Maryland, signed 23 May 1901
- Susie E. M. Keen, signed 3 March 1902
- Abbie and India Keene of West Nottingham, Maryland, signed 20 November 1901. Sister of Annie C. Keen who also signed a page
- Alice Bicknell McSparran of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, signed on 20 August 1903
- Miss Lizzie S. Payson or could be Miss Lizzie S. Paxson
- Carrie R. Ragan, signed on 14 December 1900
- Sallie Rice, signed on 8 December 1900
- Nellie Taylor, signed 21 December 1900
- Hanna C. Trimble, signed 14 December 1900
- Helen G. Weaver, signed 14 December 1900
View Larger Map
Thanks for stopping by!